Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Skippy wrote:But yeah, its probably Beholder. Blegh. Why not a Powerquest reunion show?

Power Quest got a very small crowd in 2013 even though it was their last gig ever (or not as it turned out), they'd get more of a crowd on the main stage, but they're hardly much of a puller.

Not that Beholder are a puller either, and they're fucking dogshit, but nepotism will probably have it's way here as usual.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:04 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Skippy wrote:But yeah, its probably Beholder. Blegh. Why not a Powerquest reunion show?

Power Quest got a very small crowd in 2013 even though it was their last gig ever (or not as it turned out), they'd get more of a crowd on the main stage, but they're hardly much of a puller.

They clashed with Avantasia, of course they didn't have a huge crowd.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Skippy wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:

They clashed with Avantasia, of course they didn't have a huge crowd.

Yep, its why I didn't watch them. Totally crazy clash.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:45 pm

I remember that, their set clashed with the end of Sabaton and the start of Avantasia.

Bad times for anyone who wanted to see all 3 :(
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Avantasia had as small a main stage crowd as I've ever seen at that time of the evening. If Powerquest were being watched by one man and his dog I guess everyone else must have been back at the campsite!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:14 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:That probably confirms it then. Pity. I was hoping for someone like Exodus.

Finally, something we agree on :lol:

Well, brightside if it is Beholder, I get a lie in all 3 days :lol:

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:57 pm

I'm not a betting man, but I'd put money on it being Beholder.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:43 am

Bizza wrote:I remember that, their set clashed with the end of Sabaton and the start of Avantasia.

Bad times for anyone who wanted to see all 3 :(

Power Quest had a 75 minute set, the start of which clashed with Sabaton, and the end of which clashed with Avantasia, but there was a good 40 minute chunk of their set between the two bands when there was no one on stage.

Even after Sabaton had finished, there was still only a handful of people watching Power Quest, the field was absolutely packed out when Sabaton played, and exactly the kind of crowd that PQ would have potentially appealed to, but hardly anyone went into the tent after Sabaton to check them out. Even if Power Quest hadn't clashed with Sabaton and Avantasia, their crowd would have been minimal, sad to say, but people just weren't interested in seeing them.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:11 am

Eh, tbh with you I might've seen them on their own but after Sabaton I was absolutely spent. That's a high energy intense band, after I just wanted to chill, absorb it and have a pint or two.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:29 am

Jobdone wrote:Eh, tbh with you I might've seen them on their own but after Sabaton I was absolutely spent. That's a high energy intense band, after I just wanted to chill, absorb it and have a pint or two.

Which you could surely have done watching PQ, bar in the Sophie tent and could've just sat on the grass, was loads of empty space in there.

You were exception then if you would have seen them but were just too knackered, everyone else just clearly wasn't interested in seeing them when Sabaton finished - massive crowd just had to walk a few yards to the tent to see PQ, but no one did.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:42 am

I also wanted to see them, and I did watch about 10 minutes from the very back, but I find it hard to get into a set like that when I can't watch a lot of it. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the clash limited the crowd for them - most casual power metal fans aren't going to bother moving from the main between two bigger bands like Sabaton and Avantasia to watch a smaller band like Power Quest if they don't really know them. I'm not saying they would have packed the tent or anything, power metal is never that popular, but I really think they could do a bit better.

Although having said that, I don't really expect the bookers to get them above Broken Teeth, if they were mainstage they'd probably open. So yeah, expecting Beholder.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Same, I watched the bit in the gap between Sabaton and Avantasia but left early as wasn't missing any Tobias.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:15 pm

The app has updated and it looks, at least at this stage, that there'll be less bands on the Jager stage this year. There's only one TBC, and that's on Sunday.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:45 am

Haldamir319 wrote:The app has updated and it looks, at least at this stage, that there'll be less bands on the Jager stage this year. There's only one TBC, and that's on Sunday.

Hopefully that means they won't be rushing to cram bands in and having them overlap with the main stage bands.

Skippy wrote:Although having said that, I don't really expect the bookers to get them above Broken Teeth, if they were mainstage they'd probably open. So yeah, expecting Beholder.

Really? I would of thought PQ were bigger than BT

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:22 pm

I don't think that Power Quest were that big even before they split. The slot they had last time was about right. It was the clashes that was wrong and could easily have been altered with a bit of common sense.

Broken Teeth however are apparently a band on the rise in popularity terms. Signed by one of the bigger Metal record labels and have had a few big profile support slots. I don't particularly like their music, but genre issues aside it's supposed to be new bands like them that are getting the early mainstage slots.

The same goes for Forever Still, not my cup of tea, but definitely a band on the rise with record label backing.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp