Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Cassius » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:14 pm

I have no interest in football but know what the clap is

Seems a bit odd to import into a metal festival when the band already has the rowing thing to go with

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Soze wrote:
I hope the 2018 announcement is another stage. If they've got to the point where they can sell out this year (20,000? Really?!) then this is surely worth considering.

Didn't Dee Snider say there were 20k there watching them last year at BOA?

If it has sold out, that's bad news for the customers next year, it means they can carry on getting away with booking smaller bands.

Surely they need to expand the SOPHIE tent and book bigger bands for it before adding another stage.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:54 pm

i0th wrote:
Real shame about the Battle guys "mixing it up" with Strongest man comp is crap.

I wonder if they've expanded the Strong Man competition so much that there isn't actually any room on site for the battle guys. Either that or they're cost cutting on the entertainment.

Such a shame, we were looking forwards to watching the battle guys, more than the strong man, I'm pretty certain the battle guys entertained more people than the strong man comp as well last year.

Jay1993
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Jay1993 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Loving Atragon who got announced for the Jager stage recently, heaviest doom I've heard in a while, can't wait to catch them this year :D

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Did anyone watch the strongman last year??? As much as I am interested in weightlifting and used to follow WSM on tv each year religiously, it feels incredibly out of place.

Shame about Deli Kate but from what I understand it was quite difficult to turn a profit even with her overwhelming popularity.

In other news Fallujah have parted ways with their frontman so we may possibly have a replacement band if they cant find another vocalist. I actually quite like them so I hope they remain on the bill.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:30 am

Really hope it doesn't sell out before I can afford mine, or win one from fanteamz, does anyone know what happens to the fanteamz ones if they sell out? Cheers
Last edited by Warlock on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:16 am, edited 7 times in total.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 am

florencethemachine wrote:Did anyone watch the strongman last year??? As much as I am interested in weightlifting and used to follow WSM on tv each year religiously, it feels incredibly out of place.

Shame about Deli Kate but from what I understand it was quite difficult to turn a profit even with her overwhelming popularity.

In other news Fallujah have parted ways with their frontman so we may possibly have a replacement band if they cant find another vocalist. I actually quite like them so I hope they remain on the bill.

Fallujah already announced that their european tour will go ahead, just with guest vocalists.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:43 am

florencethemachine wrote:Did anyone watch the strongman last year??? As much as I am interested in weightlifting and used to follow WSM on tv each year religiously, it feels incredibly out of place.

Watched it once, it was ok. Most of the time when we walked passed, nothing was actually happening. Frequently went back to the battle guys in between bands.

I agree, I think it seems out of place, now with them pushing gym merchandise as well, I can't help but think that the organisers are letting their personal interests take over.

I would have thought something like wrestling; which is huge again in the UK, would be more appropriate for BOA, or some kind of circus freakshow.

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:59 am

There is one reason and one reason only there is weightlifting at Bloodstock - Vicky and Adam do weightlifting. Sadly, the fact no one else is particularly arsed doesn't seem to mattter to them.

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:02 am

Wrestling would be cool. Defintely would have a much larger crossover appeal than strongman. I'm sure some of the independent UK promotions would not be too damaging to the budget.

I feel that their personal interests and musical tastes have definitely creeped in over the last few years. King 810, as much as I dislike their music, are at least a name in the scene and generated a fair amount of interest/controversy.

But there have been a slew of bands who are virtual nobodies over the years that have absolutely tanked on the main stage. And it is almost always the bands that seem to have been booked because the bookers had a personal investment in them.

By and large I am still quite happy with the lineup most years. This year has some of the greatest metal bands around. Genre balance seems to be the biggest issue and this is evident in this year's running order. I understand there are factors that are beyond the control of the BOA team but I refuse to believe that the two generic deathcore bands (who are not on a package tour) both had specific timeslots that would only allow them to play Friday morning.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:05 am

Iv got a mate who is really into weight lifting and stuff and even he thinks it is out of place at Bloodstock and only gave it the odd look in

I didnt really pay any attention to it last year, was it popular?

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:12 am

I paid no attention at all to the weightlifting last year as I have no interest watching it. I will also be avoiding stopping at it this year when passing.

I really enjoyed the armoured nutters battering each other as it is a lot more entertaining.

There were a decent number watching the weightlifting but many more watched the armoured nutters :D
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:15 am

I purchased my ticket last weekend and it arrived mid week this week, it's only numbered 7000 odd so they will need to shift some tickets in the next couple of weeks to sell out.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 am

metalicbear wrote:Didn't Dee Snider say there were 20k there watching them last year at BOA?

If it has sold out, that's bad news for the customers next year, it means they can carry on getting away with booking smaller bands.

Surely they need to expand the SOPHIE tent and book bigger bands for it before adding another stage.

This will be my first Bloodstock for 3 years so I don't know if the crowds have been getting bigger...but from my understanding it's still around 12,000 average. So Twisted Sister, presuming that not everyone with a ticket watched them, were probably playing to 7-10,000. To think that this line up has attracted an extra 8,000 punters seems hard to believe? Or is the capacity 15,000? I seem to recall them saying 20,000 is the biggest they'd ever want it to become, and that they have the capacity to make it that big...but perhaps it isn't there yet?

As for a second stage, yes, they probably do need to look at filling out the Sophie with known bands a bit more first but...if the plan is to keep the Sophie at the sort of level it is but put on a second main stage that can show top tier bands more often it would lead to much greater variety. People probably wouldn't complain about the likes of King810 and their ilk so much if another stage meant they could also see Marduk, Candlemass, Dark Tranquillity, Electric Wizard and Gamma Ray (as varied examples). Obviously a second stage (and attracting that many more bands) would be financially risky but, if they honestly have come close to selling 15-20,000 tickets, expansion could be on their minds.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:49 am

I used to watch World's Strongest Man quite often, and kind of enjoyed the Strongman thing the other year, but it is completely out of place. It just doesn't work. Unlike the Battle of Nations thing, you have to spend ages setting up the equipment, which means there is loads of downtime. Then when its on, you can't just casually stroll over and see what's happening. You can see some guy lifting things, but other than that, you don't really know what he's doing, who he is or how he's doing compared to other people. It's just not as exciting to watch.

Having said that, if they replace it with wrestling, that's even worse. Wrestling is fast becoming my least favourite thing in the world. It's just dumb, two grown men pretending to beat each other. It would probably be really popular as well, because people are stupid, but I really hope not, not least from the fact it would show they are becoming even more like Download.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!