Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
User avatar
someone else
Denim Demon
Posts: 6013
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Chester, UK
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby someone else » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:42 am

Thing is, 7500 tickets sold isn't bad for a first festival, its just they put too many bands/stages on - you could have gotten rid of quite a bit and still had a decent line up. It was bizarre that they thought the likes of the Cult and MM sold out arenas when both play Academies - neither have touched an arena since the early or late 90s respectively.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3311
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Baldy77 wrote:So......Halloween for some announcements then?

I had a ticket to Alt Fest, was very much looking forward to it! Still got refunded easily so its one for the history books


I got refunded but it wasn't easy - went to HSBC and made a case for a service not being provided, heard nothing for weeks, and called them up and demanded to speak to who was responsible, they tried to fob me off, but I realised they weren't actually doing anything, and after a lengthy argument they eventually refunded me. I imagine a lot of people would have not been as committed to getting a refund as I was and would have just been fobbed off by the banks and lost their money.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:58 am

It's just occurred to me, Volbeat have been suggested as a potential headliner before and their UK tour finishes in late November... might explains the late announcement.

User avatar
CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:37 am
Location: Bo'ness, West Lothian

Re: Next Announcement

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:15 am

Could definitely see them on the bill, are they big enough to headline? (Genuine question as I don't know much about them)
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

User avatar
someone else
Denim Demon
Posts: 6013
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Chester, UK
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby someone else » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:02 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:Could definitely see them on the bill, are they big enough to headline? (Genuine question as I don't know much about them)


They're pretty big on the continent but don't think they're at the same point here - IIRC they're last big tour was a co-headline job with Hatebreed in Academies, but they may get a boost with this upcoming arena jaunt with Alterbridge
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:41 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Next Announcement

Postby metalicbear » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Volbeat are more than big enough to headline.

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7792
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Soze » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:15 pm

Volbeat had a top 20 album in the UK earlier this year (no.16) although it only lasted for one week on the charts. As both Amon Amarth and Sabaton have been touted...their 2016 albums reached 30 and 17 respectively (both also leaving the charts the following week). So I guess they're big enough. No-one in my circle of friends likes/listens to them so it's hard for me to judge. I think they're complete arse personally.

User avatar
Chugging Pus
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1535
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:54 am
Location: King's Lynn

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Chugging Pus » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:13 pm

Amon Amarth will be getting confirmed after their tour.
"What we're having here is a secret conversation, and I'm hoping that this time, you can keep the fucking secret, because normally you're about as secure as a hymen in a South London comprehensive."

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:23 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:Could definitely see them on the bill, are they big enough to headline? (Genuine question as I don't know much about them)


I'd think so, would say they're bigger than Trivium and Down who have headlined before.

Chugging Pus wrote:Amon Amarth will be getting confirmed after their tour.


I've suspected they would play, hopefully the other headliners are a bit more inspired.

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2284
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Skippy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:52 pm

Why are people so sure bands like Amon Amarth or Sabaton are headlining? Surely they, along with Volbeat, would only get the sub-headlining slot like they usually have...
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Skippy wrote:Why are people so sure bands like Amon Amarth or Sabaton are headlining? Surely they, along with Volbeat, would only get the sub-headlining slot like they usually have...


Did you see the crowds both AA and Sabaton drew last time they played? Both got headline sized crowds (Sabaton probably got the biggest crowd of the weekend from where I was) and have only gotten bigger since they last played. It's inevitable really, even with Sabaton's latest not being great, they're still making the step up in terms of venue size. I would go out on a limb and say that unless BOA had someone big (like Priest) then that would be the only way both bands would sub again.

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2284
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Skippy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:20 am

houston4044 wrote:
Skippy wrote:Why are people so sure bands like Amon Amarth or Sabaton are headlining? Surely they, along with Volbeat, would only get the sub-headlining slot like they usually have...


Did you see the crowds both AA and Sabaton drew last time they played? Both got headline sized crowds (Sabaton probably got the biggest crowd of the weekend from where I was) and have only gotten bigger since they last played. It's inevitable really, even with Sabaton's latest not being great, they're still making the step up in terms of venue size. I would go out on a limb and say that unless BOA had someone big (like Priest) then that would be the only way both bands would sub again.

It might be a strange thing to say, but there is more to headlining than having the biggest crowd. A lot of it comes down to how the name looks on the poster. This is a large part of the reason why Trivium headlined over Sabaton last time - Trivium were at one point a huge name for the audience that grew up with them, whereas Sabaton are still up and coming in some regards, especially over here. It's also the fact that it would look like the festival has shrunk quite a bit if a band like that are suddenly promoted to headliner on the back of an album that wasn't widely regarded - look at Gojira, who came in for quite a bit of criticism for being announced as two slots higher than the last time without having released a new album (at the time). From a PR standpoint you need to spin it a lot harder, especially with both bands having played quite recently, and unless the bands demand it (or they can't find anyone better), I can see both Sabaton and Amon Amarth staying as the tried and trusted "keep people in the arena" special guests bands that Bloodstock seem to love booking so much.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:49 am

I know it's about perception for the festival as well, but I still think would both headline (admittedly not both the same year) but tucked against two other decent headliners i'm sure they'd smash it. On the flip side, Trivium were very much on the downslide when booked to headline and so looked a worse booking (who wants to see a band on their way down get the most prestegious slot?) Whereas both Sabaton and AA are the opposite, bands very much on the up; i'm sure they'd do fine as headliners.

As for Gojira, I think their problem is that they're playing seemingly everywhere (good for exposure no doubt) but why elevate someone to one of your biggest draws when people have lots of chances to see them? Sabaton for example are only playing the 1 Brixton show and AA are playing 3-4? Dates and haven't added extra when they sold out (which means they aren't milking their draw like Gojira have); so both are percieved as stronger bookings than Gojira because there is a demand that hasn't been met/more people will want to see them

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2284
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Skippy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:52 pm

houston4044 wrote:
As for Gojira, I think their problem is that they're playing seemingly everywhere (good for exposure no doubt) but why elevate someone to one of your biggest draws when people have lots of chances to see them? Sabaton for example are only playing the 1 Brixton show and AA are playing 3-4? Dates and haven't added extra when they sold out (which means they aren't milking their draw like Gojira have); so both are percieved as stronger bookings than Gojira because there is a demand that hasn't been met/more people will want to see them

Again, I disagree with this. I don't entirely know about Amon Amarth because I don't like them so don't pay much attention (I know they did a huge tour last year where they played tiny venues but otherwise I have no idea), but I think Sabaton would be a weak headliner BECAUSE they've been over here so much. I've seen them every year at least once since 2012, they've just come off a big tour earlier this year, and now they are doing a few (4?) dates next year with Accept as well. I think people are starting to get fed up of them. Give it a few years off any maybe.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
someone else
Denim Demon
Posts: 6013
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Chester, UK
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby someone else » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:13 pm

Skippy wrote:Again, I disagree with this. I don't entirely know about Amon Amarth because I don't like them so don't pay much attention (I know they did a huge tour last year where they played tiny venues but otherwise I have no idea), but I think Sabaton would be a weak headliner BECAUSE they've been over here so much. I've seen them every year at least once since 2012, they've just come off a big tour earlier this year, and now they are doing a few (4?) dates next year with Accept as well. I think people are starting to get fed up of them. Give it a few years off any maybe.


That seems logical but some bands seem to escape that stagnation that comes with over familiarity - Slayer, Anthrax got huge crowds when they play year in year out - there didn't seem to be a lower crowd than the last time they played. They have a history of being solid and dependable - like Motorhead or Alice Cooper, but they won't be around forever so taking a punt on 'new' (I know AA and Sabaton have been knocking around for ages) headliners may be worth a punt on equally dependable festival bands, albeit ones that are unlikely to get to the past peaks of the Slayers, Megadeths etc - otherwise what else is there? The Parkway Drives of the world headlining?
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11