Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
denzil71
Lowly Peon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby denzil71 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Skippy wrote:King Parrot I know nothing about, sound shit musically, but could be interesting to watch.

I've seen them - they aren't :P

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:44 pm

King 810 would be great if they were self aware, but judging by other comments here they actually live the hardman pantera-to-the-extreme gimmick which is disappointing.

RobMoore1989
Definitely Not Nu

Postby RobMoore1989 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:01 pm

king 810 are f8cking w@nk. hard men from flint, Michigan telling us about life on the streets.....who gives a sh1t.

I hate it when people bang on about knuckler draggers here though and throw hatebreed into the mix with king 810, to me (a knuckle dragger) I see a massive difference in those two bands. Hatebreed is a great live band and pulls a decent crowd, I wouldn't be surprised if king 810 were boo'd off. Absolutely the kind of band I never thought would end up at bloodstock but it just looks like whatever Vicky fancies next.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Can't argue with Kreator, saw them Tuesday night and they were fantastic! The new album is brilliant so definitely deserve a special guest slot. Only played two dates in England as well so having them at Bloodstock seems to have made a lot of people happy to get the chance to see them.

Never heard anything from the other three bands so I've got my work cut out! We all knew King 810 was gonna happen, got me some points on the bingo :lol: I've got no problem with them playing so long as they don't try bringing any firearms :eyes: Nice to see a bit of black metal with Inquisition, I will check them out seems as someone has mentioned them sounding like Immortal :)

Overall, the line isn't looking too bad, a decent Saturday headliner would make it worth my money.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:57 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:
Leemanruss wrote:
Im worried by the amount of people I'm seeing responding to the announcement saying '*Tags mates* King 810 and Hatebreed! Literally wanna go for these bands only'. Saturday isn't going to have a very nice atmosphere at all...

People said that about the Machine Head and Lamb of God years and, tbh, there wasn't that much of a difference.

There was certainly a bad atmosphere both those years. Loads of baldies trying to start fights.

Don't you remember the thread about people being mocked because of their disabilities or the one about the racist comments aimed at a young girl?

Or the one about having street fights in the campsite when they were wrecking tents?

Or the sex during The Black Dahlia Murder?

Or the fights during Devildriver?

They were the only years I've heard of any such things happening. Maybe there is one or two incidents in a normal year. But not on that scale.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:00 pm

garyboyd wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:I agree they went down well but with them (and more so King 810), it's down to the crowd that they could potentially attract to Bloodstock that brings about a lot of the negative reaction to their booking. The sort of pathetic, attention-seeking, 'come-at-me-bro', cheast-beating, neanderthal pricks that people don't want at Bloodstock.

When I was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's metal was associated with hells angels and genuinely scary characters and the gigs were often very violent. The idea that Hatebreed and King 810 fans are in the same category is laughable. How did metalheads become so sensitive???

It's not about being sensitive, it's about not wanting to be surrounded by dickheads acting like total pricks. Doesn't mean that people are necessarily offended or scared, just means that they don't want twattish behaviour brought into the festival.

garyboyd
Definitely Not Nu

Postby garyboyd » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:14 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:It's not about being sensitive, it's about not wanting to be surrounded by dickheads acting like total pricks. Doesn't mean that people are necessarily offended or scared, just means that they don't want twattish behaviour brought into the festival.

Metal music is loud and aggressive and is therefore attractive to loud and aggressive personalities. You appear to be stereotyping the fans of particular bands like King 810 and Hatebreed as thugs, which in my experience simply isn't true.

If you look for bad behaviour amongst a group of people you will undoubtedly find it and I'm sure there are many fans of Nightwish and Blind Guardian that are badly behaved. It doesn't mean that you can extrapolate and tar all fans of these bands with the same brush.

You could say "well the percentage of Hatebreed fans that are twats is higher than Nightwish fans", but that's just an opinion, where is the empirical evidence for that apart from a few anecdotal observations? Have you ever heard of confirmation bias?

dtownsend
Lowly Peon

Postby dtownsend » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:24 pm

garyboyd wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:It's not about being sensitive, it's about not wanting to be surrounded by dickheads acting like total pricks. Doesn't mean that people are necessarily offended or scared, just means that they don't want twattish behaviour brought into the festival.

Metal music is loud and aggressive and is therefore attractive to loud and aggressive personalities. You appear to be stereotyping the fans of particular bands like King 810 and Hatebreed as thugs, which in my experience simply isn't true.

If you look for bad behaviour amongst a group of people you will undoubtedly find it and I'm sure there are many fans of Nightwish and Blind Guardian that are badly behaved. It doesn't mean that you can extrapolate and tar all fans of these bands with the same brush.

You could say "well the percentage of Hatebreed fans that are twats is higher than Nightwish fans", but that's just an opinion, where is the empirical evidence for that apart from a few anecdotal observations? Have you ever heard of confirmation bias?

Completely agree. Of all the people who should understand not to judge a book by its cover it should be metal fans surely

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:28 pm

garyboyd wrote:

I didn't say all fans. I simply said that those bands attract far more of that behaviour than was previously seen at Bloodstock, before that stuff crept into the lineup. You can call it anecdotal observations all you like but as Gandalf has said elsewhere, there were plenty of items of feedback after the year that Lamb of God played highlighting issues which were previously practically unheard of at Bloodstock.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:37 pm

The only time I've seen actual violence at gigs is when there has been a 'core band on the bill. Heavy Metal is implied violence. There is a vast difference.

I've NEVER seen it during any other genre of music, including raves full of people drugged up to the eyeballs.

Apart from a famous riot when The Beastie Boys played Liverpool Royal Court when they encouraged the fans to raid the bar. That made the main news and all the papers. That's when I was working there. We got paid quite a lot the next day to clean up the mess. Now that was a bit scary.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:46 pm

The band that seem to attract the worst fans has been Slayer. Noone's said they shouldn't play. I will say though, I think Hatebreed are more likely to attract angry bastards than Nightwish would...
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Skippy wrote:The band that seem to attract the worst fans has been Slayer. Noone's said they shouldn't play. I will say though, I think Hatebreed are more likely to attract angry bastards than Nightwish would...

I've never seen an incident during Slayer in over 30 years of watching them. Apart from bouncers trying to start fights at Manchester Apollo.

RobMoore1989
Definitely Not Nu

Postby RobMoore1989 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:59 pm

There's absolutely no link here between the music discussed above and violence. We are sounding like the media hounding Marilyn Manson over the high school massacre.

Saying things like slayer are more likely to attract violent fans than nightwish is daft, to put it simply....where there is beer served and a collection of people trouble goes from unlikely to possible.

garyboyd
Definitely Not Nu

Postby garyboyd » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:The only time I've seen actual violence at gigs is when there has been a 'core band on the bill. Heavy Metal is implied violence. There is a vast difference.

I've NEVER seen it during any other genre of music, including raves full of people drugged up to the eyeballs.

Apart from a famous riot when The Beastie Boys played Liverpool Royal Court when they encouraged the fans to raid the bar. That made the main news and all the papers. That's when I was working there. We got paid quite a lot the next day to clean up the mess. Now that was a bit scary.

Oh come on Gandalf, what about the infamous megadeth gig in Northern Ireland in 88?
You're roughly the same age as me and I've witnessed some pretty vicious beatings and
stabbings at metal and punk gigs in the 80's. I used to go to PlanetX in Liverpool and saw bands like Carcass and Bolt thrower and anyone misbehaving in there was quickly dragged out for a good hiding. The idea that metal is some golden hinterland free from obnoxious characters is a myth. When you get a load of people in one place there is bound to be a small number of idiots that ruin it for everyone, but you can't just stereotype one set of fans as better than another.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:35 pm

garyboyd wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:The only time I've seen actual violence at gigs is when there has been a 'core band on the bill. Heavy Metal is implied violence. There is a vast difference.

Oh come on Gandalf, what about the infamous megadeth gig in Northern Ireland in 88?
You're roughly the same age as me and I've witnessed some pretty vicious beatings and
stabbings at metal and punk gigs in the 80's. I used to go to PlanetX in Liverpool and saw bands like Carcass and Bolt thrower and anyone misbehaving in there was quickly dragged out for a good hiding. The idea that metal is some golden hinterland free from obnoxious characters is a myth. When you get a load of people in one place there is bound to be a small number of idiots that ruin it for everyone, but you can't just stereotype one set of fans as better than another.

Surely that was sectarian related though? Not helped by Dave Mustaine saying he had given money to the IRA.

Yes. I remember the Planet X gigs. And as I said most of the trouble came from Hardcore fans. Things like slamdiving feet first wearing steel toecap boots. Punching people on the back of their heads.

I also remember Youth Of Today getting showered with beer after they insisted on them closing the bar and getting told to fuck off. :lol:

I still see and drink with some of the bouncers from there. Tony and Dennis.