Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
garyboyd
Definitely Not Nu

Re: Next Announcement

Postby garyboyd » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
garyboyd wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:The only time I've seen actual violence at gigs is when there has been a 'core band on the bill. Heavy Metal is implied violence. There is a vast difference.

I've NEVER seen it during any other genre of music, including raves full of people drugged up to the eyeballs.

Apart from a famous riot when The Beastie Boys played Liverpool Royal Court when they encouraged the fans to raid the bar. That made the main news and all the papers. That's when I was working there. We got paid quite a lot the next day to clean up the mess. Now that was a bit scary.

Oh come on Gandalf, what about the infamous megadeth gig in Northern Ireland in 88?
You're roughly the same age as me and I've witnessed some pretty vicious beatings and
stabbings at metal and punk gigs in the 80's. I used to go to PlanetX in Liverpool and saw bands like Carcass and Bolt thrower and anyone misbehaving in there was quickly dragged out for a good hiding. The idea that metal is some golden hinterland free from obnoxious characters is a myth. When you get a load of people in one place there is bound to be a small number of idiots that ruin it for everyone, but you can't just stereotype one set of fans as better than another.

Surely that was sectarian related though? Not helped by Dave Mustaine saying he had given money to the IRA.

Yes. I remember the Planet X gigs. And as I said most of the trouble came from Hardcore fans. Things like slamdiving feet first wearing steel toecap boots. Punching people on the back of their heads.

I also remember Youth Of Today getting showered with beer after they insisted on them closing the bar and getting told to fuck off. :lol:

I still see and drink with some of the bouncers from there. Tony and Dennis.

there was so much crossover going on back then it was hard to tell the metal and hardcore kids apart, but there were idiots on both sides, always will be. I was never aware that PlanetX had bouncers, it always seemed like a free for all to me :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:55 pm

Not so much bouncers as wearing a tuxedo and bowtie or polo shirt.

More like friends of the owners that got a few quid and free drinks to sort out any problems. load gear, etc. But still legal enough to work the doors as they used to do Milos, Knightriders, etc. as well.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:17 pm

I'd rather see Justin Bieber farting the national anthem non-stop for 45 minutes than witness a set from King 810

dclizardking
Paster of Muppets

Postby dclizardking » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Skippy wrote:The band that seem to attract the worst fans has been Slayer. Noone's said they shouldn't play. I will say though, I think Hatebreed are more likely to attract angry bastards than Nightwish would...

Never had a problem at a Slayer gig, apart from once in 1987, the dickhead guitarist from Malice was standing behind me and behaving like a cock. Never experienced any violence at a Slayer gig though.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:20 pm

I feel like the whole "knuckle dragger" tag is just another excuse to hate on sub-genres of metal such as metal core which are often deemed not "true metal". I know plenty of people who enjoy Hatebreed who are far from "knuckle draggers". As for violence, the only incident I heard of at Bloodstock was during Venom last year when there was a fight in the pit, does that make them a "knuckle dragger" band? There are so many factors that contribute to violent incidents aside from the music that make it impossible to isolate it as the core contributor. I feel like there's so much stereotyping to these sub-genres that it's almost reminiscent of the problems metal bands and metal fans encountered when metal first took off. It's quite sad really :( .

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:20 pm

:lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

garyboyd
Definitely Not Nu

Postby garyboyd » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:25 pm

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:57 pm

I wouldn't quite agree with the definition used on Urban Dictionary. But it was used to describe a certain type of fan.

You know, the sort that would wreck the toilets for fun without considering people are going to need them. Came across a few of those at HRH Metal and HRH NWOBHM recently....

garyboyd
Definitely Not Nu

Postby garyboyd » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:00 pm

garyboyd
Definitely Not Nu

Postby garyboyd » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:17 pm

garyboyd
Definitely Not Nu

Postby garyboyd » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_mYVuP58Zc

How about that for a definition?

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Skippy wrote:King 810 Musically, who knows? Apparently, from a fan I know everything they've done since the first album came out is dire, but more likely everything in general is dire.

I remember enduring a couple of tracks off their debut and if that was their high point then I dread to think how bad their other stuff is.

What I don't get is, who are they being booked for? The media hype around them died out years ago and I've yet to find anyone clamoring to for a UK show let alone a BOA slot. At least with Chelsea Grin they appeal to the small Deathcore scene that's still clinging to life.

The only thing I can think of is I remember Thrash Hits saying they had the same management company as Slipknot etc and so were shipped off to the media/promoters as a package, if they still have the same management wonder if that means we'll end up with someone with the same management as the Saturday headliners?

Leemanruss
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Leemanruss » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:41 pm

I cant help but think King 810's logo is slightly larger than it should be (just look at it compared to Soilwork's and Blind Guardian's logos!) and that it's higher up on this poster than they are supposedly billed on the front page of the website, i.e. they are above Annihilator on the poster, yet billed beneath them on the website's front page.

(Sorry for large image, not sure how to make it smaller)
Atmosfest: '17 '18
BOA: '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18 '19
Damnation: '11 '13 '16 '17
Download: '06
HammerFest: '09 '17
Hellfest: '17
HRH Vikings: '18
PMQF: '17 '18
Ragnarok: '18
Wacken: '17
Wacken Winter Nights: '19
Warhorns: '16 '17 '18 '19

dvl666
Consort of the Beast

Postby dvl666 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:03 am

Probably just shoddy artworking and if it went much smaller you would struggle to read the 810 down the side, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:12 am

Yeah. Just bad copying of logos and making things fit. If you put them in order at this stage then the poster would probably look lopsided.

At least they spelt Sophie right this time. :lol: