Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Alexmetalstock666
Lowly Peon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Alexmetalstock666 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:01 pm

I'd take Katatonia playing The Great Cold Distance in full, perfect Sophie headliner for when whatever shit will be headlining main on the sat!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:18 pm

houston4044 wrote:When I look at the line up this year I feel it's missing an event/something unique which helps make the fest seem more appealing. The last few years have been good as we've had last UK shows (Twisted Sister, Nuclear Assault etc) reformed/rare appearances (Dark Angel, Akercocke etc) and albums in full (Behemoth, Satyricon etc) yet this year we've got nothing like that (though 810 may fall under rare apperance but for a good reason :rolleyes: ). Would be good if BOA were to book a rare apperance, Sacred Reich are touring at the time for example etc.

Blind Guardian? Possessed? Macabre?

All are rare appearances.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Alexmetalstock666 wrote:I'd take Katatonia playing The Great Cold Distance in full, perfect Sophie headliner for when whatever shit will be headlining main on the sat!

The Sophie headliners have all been confirmed.

Unless you want them for the Thursday night joke band. :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:When I look at the line up this year I feel it's missing an event/something unique which helps make the fest seem more appealing. The last few years have been good as we've had last UK shows (Twisted Sister, Nuclear Assault etc) reformed/rare appearances (Dark Angel, Akercocke etc) and albums in full (Behemoth, Satyricon etc) yet this year we've got nothing like that (though 810 may fall under rare apperance but for a good reason :rolleyes: ). Would be good if BOA were to book a rare apperance, Sacred Reich are touring at the time for example etc.

Blind Guardian? Possessed? Macabre?

All are rare appearances.

Wouldn't call BG or Possessed rare (can't comment on Macabre as I don't know them) as they've played the UK a few times over the last few years (Possessed last year, 2014 and '15) and BG played the last two years. To me a rare appearance is one of the first few UK shows in like 5 years or so, I agree that both BG or Possessed aren't exactly common but they aren't exactly an event, although if BG are playing that Imaginations album in full like they were have been rumored to then they would be.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:02 pm

But how many times have they played over the last thirty years? Not many. Not all of us live in or travel to London.

And certainly less than the amount of times that King 810 played when they supported Slipknot. That was something like ten dates.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:33 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:But how many times have they played over the last thirty years? Not many. Not all of us live in or travel to London.

And certainly less than the amount of times that King 810 played when they supported Slipknot. That was something like ten dates.

This is just going to turn into another debate over semantics so i'll just stop here.

Any update on whether BG are doing Imaginations in full?

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:24 pm

I doubt Blind Guardian are doing Imaginations. They're a band who have only recently found success in the UK and none of their albums have that kind of classic status to the average British festival go-er. I'd be amazed if they didn't just play a standard 'best of' set.

As for rare appearances, for someone living in the arse end of the country most bands are rare! I do travel to a few gigs a year but it has to be someone I'm really excited about nowadays...and generally on a weekend as well. So the chance to see the likes of Possessed, Testament, Blind Guardian and Kreator is a once in a blue moon event for me as they rarely play anywhere near me. I can go several years in between seeing them.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:57 pm

To my mind that was the whole point of the festival in the first place. Somewhere to see rare bands without having to fly halfway across Europe.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:59 pm

Saw someone comment on the facebook post about how they were happy to see King810 added to the lineup but that they would have to sit through a lineup filled with shit just to see them...... :lol:

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Ok, so i also have no idea who King 810 are so like others thought i better have a listen....

utter dross. And i'm someone that actually has time for some of the 'core' bands out there (mainly older ones) and don't mind Hatebreed too much, but this is just awful. Awful awful booking.

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Soze wrote:I doubt Blind Guardian are doing Imaginations. They're a band who have only recently found success in the UK and none of their albums have that kind of classic status to the average British festival go-er. I'd be amazed if they didn't just play a standard 'best of' set.

As for rare appearances, for someone living in the arse end of the country most bands are rare! I do travel to a few gigs a year but it has to be someone I'm really excited about nowadays...and generally on a weekend as well. So the chance to see the likes of Possessed, Testament, Blind Guardian and Kreator is a once in a blue moon event for me as they rarely play anywhere near me. I can go several years in between seeing them.

A very good point. I live in Norwich and the biggest venue in the city holds 1800. A band like Blind Guardian are never going to do a British tour that ventures anywhere less than 100 miles away from me, so Bloodstock is the only realistic I'll have of seeing them. As far as I'm concerned, they are a rarity and the same could be said for several other bands already on the bill.

Having said that, if King 810 announced that they were playing the only UK date of their career in the church hall at the end of my road I wouldn't wander along to see them. Having a few half decent tunes and being able to perform count for a whole lot more than rarity alone.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:07 pm

Funnily enough I have previously turned down a free ticket to see King 810. Or rather Slipknot when they played Liverpool Arena.

Now if the same person would give me a ticket to see Iron Maiden at the same venue I would be happy. But I doubt that's going to happen.

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Funnily enough I have previously turned down a free ticket to see King 810. Or rather Slipknot when they played Liverpool Arena.

Now if the same person would give me a ticket to see Iron Maiden at the same venue I would be happy. But I doubt that's going to happen.

Sadly I suspect that they were always on the cards. King 810 share a management company with Amon Amarth, so Bloodstock might possibly have had to take them as part of the Amon deal. Doesn't mean to say I'm going to watch them though!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:51 am

I can't link it because I'm at work but have a look on King 810's Facebook page and a status posted on 17 December 2016 about them cancelling a show in Detroit on the same day - the only reason being because they thought they could bring guns into the venue and were then told they couldn't.

What a bunch of bellends.

RobMoore1989
Definitely Not Nu

Postby RobMoore1989 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:55 am

Jay1993 wrote:I feel like the whole "knuckle dragger" tag is just another excuse to hate on sub-genres of metal such as metal core which are often deemed not "true metal". I know plenty of people who enjoy Hatebreed who are far from "knuckle draggers". As for violence, the only incident I heard of at Bloodstock was during Venom last year when there was a fight in the pit, does that make them a "knuckle dragger" band? There are so many factors that contribute to violent incidents aside from the music that make it impossible to isolate it as the core contributor. I feel like there's so much stereotyping to these sub-genres that it's almost reminiscent of the problems metal bands and metal fans encountered when metal first took off. It's quite sad really :( .

absolutely spot on. theres an elitist attitude with the people on this forums because they no doubt listen to a lot of different types of metal and know what they like, they can't comprehend that people might actually like stuff they don't so those bands become the blame for anything negative at the festival.