Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: Next Announcement

Postby cheesemason » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:59 am

There is one reason and one reason only there is weightlifting at Bloodstock - Vicky and Adam do weightlifting. Sadly, the fact no one else is particularly arsed doesn't seem to mattter to them.

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:02 am

Wrestling would be cool. Defintely would have a much larger crossover appeal than strongman. I'm sure some of the independent UK promotions would not be too damaging to the budget.

I feel that their personal interests and musical tastes have definitely creeped in over the last few years. King 810, as much as I dislike their music, are at least a name in the scene and generated a fair amount of interest/controversy.

But there have been a slew of bands who are virtual nobodies over the years that have absolutely tanked on the main stage. And it is almost always the bands that seem to have been booked because the bookers had a personal investment in them.

By and large I am still quite happy with the lineup most years. This year has some of the greatest metal bands around. Genre balance seems to be the biggest issue and this is evident in this year's running order. I understand there are factors that are beyond the control of the BOA team but I refuse to believe that the two generic deathcore bands (who are not on a package tour) both had specific timeslots that would only allow them to play Friday morning.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:05 am

Iv got a mate who is really into weight lifting and stuff and even he thinks it is out of place at Bloodstock and only gave it the odd look in

I didnt really pay any attention to it last year, was it popular?

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:12 am

I paid no attention at all to the weightlifting last year as I have no interest watching it. I will also be avoiding stopping at it this year when passing.

I really enjoyed the armoured nutters battering each other as it is a lot more entertaining.

There were a decent number watching the weightlifting but many more watched the armoured nutters :D
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:15 am

I purchased my ticket last weekend and it arrived mid week this week, it's only numbered 7000 odd so they will need to shift some tickets in the next couple of weeks to sell out.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 am

metalicbear wrote:Didn't Dee Snider say there were 20k there watching them last year at BOA?

If it has sold out, that's bad news for the customers next year, it means they can carry on getting away with booking smaller bands.

Surely they need to expand the SOPHIE tent and book bigger bands for it before adding another stage.

This will be my first Bloodstock for 3 years so I don't know if the crowds have been getting bigger...but from my understanding it's still around 12,000 average. So Twisted Sister, presuming that not everyone with a ticket watched them, were probably playing to 7-10,000. To think that this line up has attracted an extra 8,000 punters seems hard to believe? Or is the capacity 15,000? I seem to recall them saying 20,000 is the biggest they'd ever want it to become, and that they have the capacity to make it that big...but perhaps it isn't there yet?

As for a second stage, yes, they probably do need to look at filling out the Sophie with known bands a bit more first but...if the plan is to keep the Sophie at the sort of level it is but put on a second main stage that can show top tier bands more often it would lead to much greater variety. People probably wouldn't complain about the likes of King810 and their ilk so much if another stage meant they could also see Marduk, Candlemass, Dark Tranquillity, Electric Wizard and Gamma Ray (as varied examples). Obviously a second stage (and attracting that many more bands) would be financially risky but, if they honestly have come close to selling 15-20,000 tickets, expansion could be on their minds.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:49 am

I used to watch World's Strongest Man quite often, and kind of enjoyed the Strongman thing the other year, but it is completely out of place. It just doesn't work. Unlike the Battle of Nations thing, you have to spend ages setting up the equipment, which means there is loads of downtime. Then when its on, you can't just casually stroll over and see what's happening. You can see some guy lifting things, but other than that, you don't really know what he's doing, who he is or how he's doing compared to other people. It's just not as exciting to watch.

Having said that, if they replace it with wrestling, that's even worse. Wrestling is fast becoming my least favourite thing in the world. It's just dumb, two grown men pretending to beat each other. It would probably be really popular as well, because people are stupid, but I really hope not, not least from the fact it would show they are becoming even more like Download.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Download wasn't the first festival to have wrestling, it is the first in the UK to have a recognised brand in NXT though, but that is only because livenation promote their uk tour.

BOA could quite easily book a UK promotion like ICW. Doesn't Wacken also have wrestling on show.

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Yea Wacken has wrestling, never got round to watching any though. Way to much to see and do there.

If it were at Bloodstock I think I'd be more inclined to watch wrestling than that Strongman stuff, saw bits of it last year and there never seemed to be that many people watching. The battle reenactment guys always pulled a crowd. Massive shame they won't be there this year. Guess we can thank Simon and Vicky for that along with all the core shite core on the mainstage. Wind your egos in a bit please guys :rolleyes:
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Soze wrote:
metalicbear wrote:Didn't Dee Snider say there were 20k there watching them last year at BOA?

If it has sold out, that's bad news for the customers next year, it means they can carry on getting away with booking smaller bands.

Surely they need to expand the SOPHIE tent and book bigger bands for it before adding another stage.

This will be my first Bloodstock for 3 years so I don't know if the crowds have been getting bigger...but from my understanding it's still around 12,000 average. So Twisted Sister, presuming that not everyone with a ticket watched them, were probably playing to 7-10,000. To think that this line up has attracted an extra 8,000 punters seems hard to believe? Or is the capacity 15,000? I seem to recall them saying 20,000 is the biggest they'd ever want it to become, and that they have the capacity to make it that big...but perhaps it isn't there yet?

As for a second stage, yes, they probably do need to look at filling out the Sophie with known bands a bit more first but...if the plan is to keep the Sophie at the sort of level it is but put on a second main stage that can show top tier bands more often it would lead to much greater variety. People probably wouldn't complain about the likes of King810 and their ilk so much if another stage meant they could also see Marduk, Candlemass, Dark Tranquillity, Electric Wizard and Gamma Ray (as varied examples). Obviously a second stage (and attracting that many more bands) would be financially risky but, if they honestly have come close to selling 15-20,000 tickets, expansion could be on their minds.

It was packed during Twisted Sister, but certainly not to the level that was watching Alice Cooper. Bands are known for exaggerating things a bit. :lol:

My ticket came the other day and was also numbered in the 7000s.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:12 pm

As for football, most of the people I know that attend love it and will be spending most of the weekend trying to find the scores. There was a trend a few years ago for wearing footie shirts.

I also think that if you are going to a music festival to watch or participate in amusements, comedians and other "entertainment" then you are doing it wrong. You can do those things anytime.

Thankfully they aren't following the trend of booking politicians.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:23 pm

The letters sent to residents of the village this year said the event was licensed for 15k - the capacity was increased from 12k to 15k in 2013 - this costs money so can't see them doing it unless it was highly likely to go over 12k
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:48 pm

I couldn't give a shit about wrestling, strongmen, motorbikes that whizz around in giant balls or pretend vikings fighting each other. But presumably, none of this costs much money so I have no problem with it being there. I can easily walk past it all!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:As for football, most of the people I know that attend love it and will be spending most of the weekend trying to find the scores. There was a trend a few years ago for wearing footie shirts.

I also think that if you are going to a music festival to watch or participate in amusements, comedians and other "entertainment" then you are doing it wrong. You can do those things anytime.

Thankfully they aren't following the trend of booking politicians.

I would agree that the festival should be about the music although with some of the awful shite they've booked this year, something else to do might be a welcome alternative.

Not weightlifting though. That can fuck right off. Someone posted earlier that the reason weightlifting is booked is because Vicky & Adam are into it themselves. I don't know if that's true or not but if it is, then between that and booking King 810 simply because Vicky likes them, they need to reign themselves in a bit and realise the festival isn't just about what they want

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:26 pm

7000s in the normal tickets, add on the 1000 VIP tickets and all the early bird ones too.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18