Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Tet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:28 am

VizardAmata wrote:Jeez... you know, if Priest are asking for too much from a festival than can afford Slayer, Rob Zombie and Twisted Sister, they might need to calm down. I know they're a legendary band and everything but still.

Realistically, they're in the twilight of their careers, and are milking what time they have left for all they can. It's hard to blame them, to be honest. FWIW, Scorpions are doing exactly the same (both bands share the same booking agent at ITB and are charging more or less the same for festival appearances).
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:46 am

anyone think we'll get anything today?

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:03 am

jwh20 wrote:anyone think we'll get anything today?

Nope, they will hype up the first announcement with lots of pre-announcements and we've had nothing yet

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Tet wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:Jeez... you know, if Priest are asking for too much from a festival than can afford Slayer, Rob Zombie and Twisted Sister, they might need to calm down. I know they're a legendary band and everything but still.

Realistically, they're in the twilight of their careers, and are milking what time they have left for all they can. It's hard to blame them, to be honest. FWIW, Scorpions are doing exactly the same (both bands share the same booking agent at ITB and are charging more or less the same for festival appearances).

Yeah, you do have a point. Don't get me wrong, I really really want to see Priest before they call it a day for good, but it just seems a bit excessive. But I suppose I can't really blame them.

bloodofthekings wrote:[But Priest don't need Bloodstock's money. They can go and headline much bigger festivals in Europe and get paid more (and probably get paid more for the 'special guest' slot they've had at Download a couple of times) so why would they care whether or not they ever headline Bloodstock?

They probably don't. Given that they can command a slot like the special guest, it's doubtful we will ever see them at this festival.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:38 pm

It wouldn't be out of the question - from the KK fallout it seemed like the management were flogging the band hard so they will go where the cash is - they're still a decent draw in the States on these 3-old-bands package tours, so theres that to compete with. They've never really pulled out the stops for the UK, they left us off their re-union tour and the British Steel retro tours, so the begging may be the last option.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Even at their peak they didn't play the UK for over five years. This was whilst playing about 250 dates in the States, Europe and Japan on two full tours.

It wasn't because the demand wasn't there as they were still selling records in the UK by the bucket load. It's always seemed that the UK wasn't exactly on their list of priorities.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:31 pm

someone else wrote:It wouldn't be out of the question - from the KK fallout it seemed like the management were flogging the band hard so they will go where the cash is - they're still a decent draw in the States on these 3-old-bands package tours, so theres that to compete with. They've never really pulled out the stops for the UK, they left us off their re-union tour and the British Steel retro tours, so the begging may be the last option.

Doesn't exactly give BOA a good image that it has to beg a band to play their festival, that and when you've done it once it looks terrible if they did it for another band down the line...

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Yeah. It reeks of amateurism. All negotiations should be done firmly behind closed doors.

If a band refuses to play for whatever reason then it seems like you are making them out to be cunts.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:25 am

I don't expect Judas Priest will be announced for next year but frankly I would rather they spent the fee cost on a stronger undercard.

I can live with average headliners when there are plenty of good bands playing before them.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:19 pm

someone else wrote: They've never really pulled out the stops for the UK, they left us off their re-union tour and the British Steel retro tours, so the begging may be the last option.

You may be right with the British Steel retro tour, but I did see them in 2005 at Manchester Apollo with the Scorpions which I'm sure was part of their reunion run.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:38 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
someone else wrote: They've never really pulled out the stops for the UK, they left us off their re-union tour and the British Steel retro tours, so the begging may be the last option.

You may be right with the British Steel retro tour, but I did see them in 2005 at Manchester Apollo with the Scorpions which I'm sure was part of their reunion run.

That was the Angel Of Retribution Tour. A year or two after they had played everywhere else in the world.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:22 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:I don't expect Judas Priest will be announced for next year but frankly I would rather they spent the fee cost on a stronger undercard.

I can live with average headliners when there are plenty of good bands playing before them.

This.

Give me 1 good headliner and a strong undercard over 3 massive headliners and a weak undercard.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:33 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:

I was at that gig too, but like Gandalf said it wasn't the reunion tour. They got back together for the US Ozzfest and even toured Europe but left us out - but cheekily put footage of the Madrid gig on the DVD on the special edition of Angel Of Retribution: gave it the usual flannel about wanting it to be 'special' 'for the fans' and did nothing
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

einherjer
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby einherjer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:16 am

I just want an announcement. Holding off suggests that the band may be touring currently or soon in the UK. That is not good sit suggests Amon Amarth to me. Not bad band just saturated by them.
It's always darkest before it goes completely black.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:53 am

I think it's inevitable seeing how much they've been hyping them on the FB page.

I also notice they are doing a #ST FOR BOA thing now. Just try and book them if you want them. Doing all this nonsense makes you look bad at your job.