No more Evil Scarecrow

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Tet
Denim Demon

No more Evil Scarecrow

Postby Tet » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:32 pm

Seriously. I like them. But they've played 4 times in the last 6 years. It's becoming ridiculous. Yes, they're a great festival band. But let's have someone else in 2017.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Re: No more Evil Scarecrow

Postby metalicbear » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:45 pm

First time I saw them was this year at BOA, don't need to see them again. Joke band.

Raven
Leather Rebel

Postby Raven » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:56 pm

Agreed,or at least wait until they have a new album,toured or at least deserve the slot

einherjer
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby einherjer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:57 pm

I second this motion Mr. Chairman.
It's always darkest before it goes completely black.

tmcgoay
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby tmcgoay » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:05 pm

so we need Evile back as the regular house band to play every other year
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18
SRS '12

http://www.pandemoniumclub.co.uk/
http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:07 pm

tmcgoay wrote:so we need Evile back as the regular house band to play every other year

You joke, but if they have a new album out by next year I'd like to see them at BOA 2017 :lol:

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:14 pm

Agree, terrible band. If we have to have a repeat can we have Gloryhammer again? :D
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:11 pm

I agree it's getting a bit overkill, but you can't deny they had one of the biggest crowds of the entire weekend, especially for a non-headliner.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:41 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I agree it's getting a bit overkill, but you can't deny they had one of the biggest crowds of the entire weekend, especially for a non-headliner.

Probably because there was not much else on, people are waking up and wandering into the arena for the first proper day and the fact that some people are easily amused. :P

They're a band that you can watch for a bit of a laugh, but it's getting a bit tedious now.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:12 pm

Gets my vote, even at the risk of losing out on bingo points ;-)

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:16 pm

Whilst they were awesome 2 years ago, while it was fun, it was just a lesser version of what we saw 2 years ago. It just didn't seem as much of an occasion, in 2014 the massive crowd that early was remarkable, this year Gloryhammer had already filled up the arena, and following GH was rather detrimental to ES, as GH have an image but great songs, and compared to that ES just came across as all image and no songs.

BOA has broken this band by giving them massive exposure, and got them playing large gigs of there own now, but it's time to see where they can go by themselves now. Sadly the answer is not far id say, the album they recently released is terrible, and I doubt they'll ever have the material to back up their live show.

Obviously the organisers don't take any notice of this, so no doubt they'll be back even higher up the main stage in 2018, with increasing diminishing returns from their live show.

pinhead0303
Consort of the Beast

Postby pinhead0303 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:51 pm

They're fun and they're going to get booked every other year, get used to it :lol:

Although despite the huge crowd they draw it's hard to see them getting much, if any higher up the billing, band politics wouldn't allow it unless the slots below are going to be filled by pub bands!

I hope the band that follows them on at Bloodstock doesn't look at the crowd while ES are on, it must be very disheartening seeing that everyone left after them and didn't come back for you. I'm looking at you Misery Loves Co :lol:

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:04 pm

For all the crowds they have got on two occaisions, it doesn't seem to translate into anything in the 'real world' - the gig in Manchester they've got booked is the Ruby Lounge which holds 350 people. They seem to be a 'festival band' which people enjoy on the day, but won't cross the road to see otherwise.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:15 pm

someone else wrote:For all the crowds they have got on two occaisions, it doesn't seem to translate into anything in the 'real world' - the gig in Manchester they've got booked is the Ruby Lounge which holds 350 people. They seem to be a 'festival band' which people enjoy on the day, but won't cross the road to see otherwise.

Nah, their profile's definitely going up, they sold out the Underworld at the start of this year, whereas a few years ago when they played London they were just getting a handful of people down Nambucca or a pub. Obviously nothing compared to the crowds they've got at BOA, but their popularity has definitely risen significantly.

What has improved though it their recorded output, and the lack of quality there is always going to be the thing that's stops them getting any bigger, and keeps them firmly in the role of novelty festival live act.

learnedrobb
Lowly Peon

Postby learnedrobb » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:47 pm

someone else wrote:For all the crowds they have got on two occaisions, it doesn't seem to translate into anything in the 'real world' - the gig in Manchester they've got booked is the Ruby Lounge which holds 350 people. They seem to be a 'festival band' which people enjoy on the day, but won't cross the road to see otherwise.

Thats probably more to do with how bloody expensive it is to book most decently sized venues in Manchester.

Club Academy, for example, is a 600 capacity club and costs a promoter (such as myself) or a band this: £550 + PRS + VAT. So that could total over £1000 depending on how many tickets you sell. Ruby lounge is a lot cheaper and easier to fill. And "Sold Out" looks a lot better on your poster/ad.