No Priest

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
someone else
Denim Demon

Re: No Priest

Postby someone else » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:31 pm

NE29PHIL wrote:If Judas Priest's costs are high, Bloodstock have three choices:

1. Increase the size of the festival and turn it into a commercial circus like Download to increase revenue.
2. Break the bank for them and only book cheaper acts for the rest of the line up.
3. Keep the festival in its current format.

I very much prefer option 3, 15-20k fans and a great atmosphere every year.

The problem with Priest is they are bigger in the States and Europe than they are here, so they may break the bank but might not drag that many more people in. Last time they headlined a festival was High Voltage which was a failure and drew way less than BOA does, and their 'Priest Feast' debacle resulted in downgrading and cancelling gigs, even with Megadeth and Testament supporting.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:45 pm

1. Increase the size of the festival and turn it into a commercial circus like Download to increase revenue.
2. Break the bank for them and only book cheaper acts for the rest of the line up.

Option 3 sound good to me, but money talks.

If, as has been suggested, Bloodstock starts booking bands like Bullet for my Valentine and Five Finger Death Punch then the commercial circus won't be a long way off. Hopefully Bloodstock stays true to its roots.

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:12 pm

someone else wrote:

The problem with Priest is they are bigger in the States and Europe than they are here, so they may break the bank but might not drag that many more people in. Last time they headlined a festival was High Voltage which was a failure and drew way less than BOA does, and their 'Priest Feast' debacle resulted in downgrading and cancelling gigs, even with Megadeth and Testament supporting.

To be fair, that was during the late 2008/early 2009 economic downturn

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:29 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
someone else wrote:

To be fair, that was during the late 2008/early 2009 economic downturn

It was a few years after that, but it's Not much of a reason when live music was quite resilient to the downturn and most festivals increased their attendances. HV was supposed to save HMV by branching into live music and was seen as a massive failure and the first fest got reported in the business pages of the papers. It's sister dance festival (Lovebox) at the same venue achieved its 25k target. The follow up with Priest and Dream Theater got panned even more, with only 9k at the Preist day and 6k for DT
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:57 pm

While I'd go for 3, option 2 needn't be bad if they are savvy, but that would involve booking the right up and coming bands/smaller bands with larger cult followings to counter balance it. Would be very slim chance of pulling it off properly but it's not necessarily out of the realms of possibility

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Do Judas Preist really charge so much more than say Twisted Sister and Slayer or Megadeth would cost. How much more do they charge really? It must be more reasonable than people on here are claiming

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:15 pm

houston4044 wrote:While I'd go for 3, option 2 needn't be bad if they are savvy, but that would involve booking the right up and coming bands/smaller bands with larger cult followings to counter balance it. Would be very slim chance of pulling it off properly but it's not necessarily out of the realms of possibility

You're right, and cheaper acts for some people might we well worth the money for the ticket. It's all subjective in the end.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:09 pm

bloodblind wrote:Do Judas Preist really charge so much more than say Twisted Sister and Slayer or Megadeth would cost.

Yes, they do. If the figures I've heard are correct, more than double some of those.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
Tet wrote:Yes, they did. The festival declared bankruptcy shortly afterwards. These two facts are connected.

I didn't know about that. The festival still exists though, so everything was sorted out in the end.

No, it doesn't and no it wasn't. A different festival exists, run by a different company (Spirit Of Rock Ltd). They bought the name from the original owners (The UK Rock Festival Ltd) after it folded.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:56 am

So it's a bit like how Rangers got liquidated and reformed as The Rangers Football Club? All the same stuff but legally a different entity.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Black Wizard wrote:So it's a bit like how Rangers got liquidated and reformed as The Rangers Football Club? All the same stuff but legally a different entity.

Basically, yes.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:20 pm

But the festival still has the same name, same location, same sort of music and probably the same layout, so it's basically the same festival in all but who owns it, which nobody cares about anyway. :P

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:46 pm

Black Wizard wrote:But the festival still has the same name, same location, same sort of music and probably the same layout, so it's basically the same festival in all but who owns it, which nobody cares about anyway. :P

Depends on the different financial situations between the two companies, the old company may not have been able to sustain the losses long enough versus building a fan base whereas the new company maybe able to.

Black Wizard wrote:
houston4044 wrote:While I'd go for 3, option 2 needn't be bad if they are savvy, but that would involve booking the right up and coming bands/smaller bands with larger cult followings to counter balance it. Would be very slim chance of pulling it off properly but it's not necessarily out of the realms of possibility

You're right, and cheaper acts for some people might we well worth the money for the ticket. It's all subjective in the end.

Aye, Soni '11 got it down to a tee :love:

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:59 pm

houston4044 wrote:Aye, Soni '11 got it down to a tee :love:

I remember that festival... back in the day. I think some people still post on the forums in desperation that it will come back next year. :lol:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:52 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Aye, Soni '11 got it down to a tee :love:

I remember that festival... back in the day. I think some people still post on the forums in desperation that it will come back next year. :lol:

I gave up posting on there years ago :lol: It became clutching at straws for anything hinting at the return of the fest.