Camp Loners & Newbies 2017

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Shazataz
Definitely Not Nu

Re: First timer question - allowed tent size

Postby Shazataz » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:42 pm

kwicher wrote:Hi
Maybe a lame question but are there any restrictions on the size of the tent?
I understand that bringing 8 person tent for two people is ridiculous but we have a nice single bedroom 4 person tent with a "livng room" which we like. Would this be an overkill and would we be made to put it down?

What is your experience?

Thanks

K

I have a 4 man tent just for myself this year. I feel bad for it but im not spending more money on a smaller tent that I need to use again
Shildon built the trains!

GoodNightGravity
Lowly Peon

Re: Camp Loners & Newbies 2017

Postby GoodNightGravity » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi all, first time going to BOA, meeting friends at the camp but need to travel on my own & thinking of using the big green coach, any one got any experiance with them?

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:48 pm

I get Big Green Coach from Glasgow to BOA every year and never had any issues.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Personally never used them apart for the shuttle buses which are fine, but extortionate.

But be prepared for a few stops en route, either to pick up people or service stops.

I much prefer the train to be honest.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

GoodNightGravity
Lowly Peon

Postby GoodNightGravity » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Reviews seem ok but I'm a bit worried about the bag allowance (one rucksack/holdall & one carryon bag), mainly that I'll have to scale back on the beer & food I was gonna bring.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:42 pm

I've gotten the BGC from Leeds several times, and from Glasgow once (will be getting second time this year). I've never had a problem with it, although the Glasgow one is a PITA to get (have to spend a night at a hostel/hotel the night before.

I've also gotten the train down from York a few times (before BGC was a thing), which was alright, but expensive. You also need to get a bus/taxi from the train station to the festival.

I looked into flying this year, but luggage costs are the bugger there.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Wow, someone who lives in Dundee. :o

GoodNightGravity
Lowly Peon

Postby GoodNightGravity » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Travel booked & starting to get my gear together before packing, I've got a small solid fuel burner (one of the folding metal ones with the square fuel blocks) are these allowed to be used in the camp site or only at the designated bbq areas? I only want it to boil down water for my coffee and instant noodles, maybe a fried egg or two on the first morning.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Just at the bbq areas.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:10 pm

So I'll definitely be coming alone this year - the other guy I know who was thinking about it was just at Wacken and weekend tickets sold out. The winged bollocks are in Valhalla you say? I hope they're easy to find on Thursday afternoon. Does Valhalla fill up quickly?

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Loners camp is in the top corner of Valhalla behind the ticket box office. The Loners guys usually meet up at the box office before the gates open and all later arrivals are welcome.

Valhalla does fill up quite quickly but you can usually find space for your tent.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Well I'll definitely be arriving after that! If I don't manage to get a spot with the loners camp then so be it. I'll find a spot to camp somewhere and watch a ton of cool bands regardless.

mercera194
Lowly Peon

Postby mercera194 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:55 pm

First time this year. Was meant to be going with the (now ex) girlfriend but that's not happening anymore... have a backup person in place... but not too sure on whether they'll be able to come. But either way, I'll swing by the Loners and Newbies area as I am indeed a newbie.

EyesEternal
Lowly Peon

Postby EyesEternal » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Hey there everyone, sorry for the late reply. Our plan is to all meet together by the box office on the Thursday, and start queing together at 11am, and make up a camp all together and hopefully it won't fill up too soon. Regardless of whether or not you are camping in Valhalla, everyone is welcome to join us at the camp to hang out, have a chat/drink, and catch some bands together.

For anyone trying to find us after we start queing, myself and the other admins will be putting up our phone numbers on the FB page (PM me if you aren't on facebook), and we'll have two admins waiting by the gates for a good bit on thursday with a sign saying Camp Loner & Newbies so you can't miss us! Just introduce yourself and we'll direct you to the camp!

donotron
Lowly Peon

Postby donotron » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post, anybody need a lift from edinburgh? got one space in the car, already 2 of us in there. fuel cost estimated about 90 quid one way (v6 woes). split it 3 way, leaving Thursday afternoon.