M2TM 2017

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: M2TM 2017

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:00 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:As an aside, the opening band are from Stoke... is there not an M2M qualifying region closer to them? (Genuine question).

In one of the other heats you had Aonia. I thought they were from Birmingham.

Maybe Sheffield's "scene" isn't as good as you think as they have to import bands? :P

At least one of the members of Aonia is from Sheffield :P.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:In one of the other heats you had Aonia. I thought they were from Birmingham.

Maybe Sheffield's "scene" isn't as good as you think as they have to import bands? :P

Nope. They're dotted around the area, but are based in Worksop. Sheffield is definitely their closest M2TM heat.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:29 am

Blimey I'm hanging today.

Sheffield Heat 3 thoughts (bands own description of themselves beneath their name):

2x4
Hardcore/Beatdown

Not my thing really, though they were pretty good musicians (drummer was really good). Vocals did nothing for me, and I didn't find them overly interesting.

Gorilla Warfare
Dirty Rock / Punk / Funk

Interesting band that had a nice vibe. I actually think that the 'dirty rock' description really means 'stoner'. They were basically the upbeatness (is that a word?) that drew from pop-punk a bit, if overlaid on stoner rock riffs. The funk aspect was sort of the accents to the riffs (I'm making this sound way more pretentious than it was). Without being mindblowing or anything, they were very good at what they did and their style would suitably mesh with a wider selection of bands than most.

Soulphernus
Blackened Death Metal

Aspects of Immortal and Behemoth here (closer to the latter than the former on most tracks, but their final song was definitely more 'Immortal with death metal vox'). They had a few sound problems on vocals early on, but nothing too serious. I enjoyed them for what they were. Drummer was exceptional (good drumming was a theme to the evening) and the rest were fine to good. I liked the frontman, even if he was rooted to the spot a bit.

Grandmother Suplex
Punk Metal

Winner of the best band name of the evening, these guys were very professional. I enjoy punk / pukn metal without being overly enamoured, and these guys were very good at their flavour of it. At times they reminded me a bit of Rise Against, though that'd probably be an unfair style comparison on the whole. They rotated the vocals through three guys (two guitars and the bass), and that also worked quite well - particularly on tracks where all three sung verses each. Very enjoyable.

Delirium
Classic Rock / Heavy Blues

Wow.

I'd seen these guys twice before (last year) and had been shilling them to my mates for a while. Last night was the best I've seen them. They heavy blues description is sort of in the way that some of Zeppelin's sound came from rocking up blues numbers, as opposed to just taking standard 4/4 blues numbers and making them heavier.

A friend of mine was witnessing these for the first time last night. He'd heard both my shilling, as well as praise from others bands that we mutually know. Still, halfway through Delirium's first track, he turned to me and said "Fuck".

Some of this was probably the booze talking, but I recall saying that Delirium are the closest thing this generation has to a Zeppelin, T. Rex or any other iconic 'classic' band. They were that good. And they are all only 18 years old.

---

The results:

Delirium annihilated everyone, finishing first on both the judges cards and the public vote - apparently by some way. Grandmother Suplex were second and Gorilla Warfare third. Apparently it was very close between 2nd and 4th (Soulphernus).

---

In other news, Soul Shredder has apparently pulled out of their semi-final because they can't make any of the three dates, which is a shame. It's not yet been decided who will take their slot (they were in heat 2, which only had 4 bands - the band that didn't get through were a step or two behind the three that progressed). I'm hoping the judges will just pick a band on their performance to put through (either Sour Tusk or Soulphernus) instead of just picking the other band from the same qualifier. I'll update when I know more.
Last edited by Haldamir319 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Of the 8 bands that have qualified that are still in the thing, I'd rank them something like as follows:

Delirium
Bovidae
Sobriquet
Aonia
Grandmother Suplex
Crucifixiation
Gorilla Warfare
Gorgeous Morgue

Delirium and Bovidae out front by a bit, Sobriquet for of by themselves, then from Aonia to GW is pretty close. GM aren't far behind, but I certainly have them in that position.

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:56 am

Manchester Heat 3:

Revival – Trad with a bit of a thrashy edge and occasional growled vocals from the drummer. Really good tunes, all 4 members are technically adept, and they deal with a technical hitch towards the end of the set professionally. Frontman seems a little awkward in his audience interaction though. They didn’t get through, but probably deserved to. Totally unrelated to their performance, the bassist’s sleeveless t-shirt (bright orange fire motif, hooded skellington with flaming wings on front, grim reaper w/scythe on back) is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen on a stage, and I’ve seen Madina Lake.

Colibra – Describe themselves as Progressive/Alternative Metal, obviously going for some tribal influence with the samples they’re playing between songs. Really didn’t do anything for me, found them pretty dull. Their sound reminded me very much of another band, and I spent their whole set trying to work out who it was. Realised after we got home that it was Staind, so it’s probably for the best they didn’t get through.

Voodoo Blood – Blues, the metal influence is there, but this is certainly still a straight up blues band. Seen them before and thought they were ace, one of the bands I hope does really well, would be nice to see something so different from the usual M2TM fare make it to the festival. For the first 20 mins they are fantastic, just as good as when I’ve seen them before. Their frontwoman has the most incredible voice and commanding stage presence, the rest of the band are tight as hell and look like they’re really enjoying themselves. Then they go into 10 minutes of wanky self-indulgent noodling masquerading as an Etta James cover, and do that thing where there are at least 3 distinct points the set should have ended but doesn’t as they toss about some more. You can actually feel the energy drain from the room, it is an incredible act of self-sabotage. They get through, but I’m honestly not sure they deserved it, hope they ditch that nonsense in the quarter finals.

Midnight Prophecy (who I keep calling Twilight Prophecy for some reason) – Power Metal. So many local power metal bands have vocalists whose ambition exceeds their talent when it comes to those powerful falsetto notes, and it always just totally kills it for me regardless of how good the rest of the band might be. This guy can deliver the goods though. They put on an entertaining set, and I’m glad to see them go through.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:09 am

Sounds like there was some decent variety in that heat! Glad to hear that some power metal is getting through the rounds too.

robin8585

Postby robin8585 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Sounds like there was some decent variety in that heat! Glad to hear that some power metal is getting through the rounds too.

It's been pretty good all around really. The only thing lacking right now is Death Metal, but there is some of that coming up, and Black Metal, which I think we're missing entirely. And unlike previous years, probably owing to the change of promoter and venue and therefore judging, the extreme metal bands are not just getting through by default. We're continuing with a good mix into the later rounds too so far.

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:10 pm

Black Metal is constantly overlooked.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:24 am

Looking ahead to this week, we have five bands in heat 4 as it stands:

Amnesia - Thrash
IMRD - Describe themselves as a band that started off as Hardcore, but broadened to include Hard Rock and Nu Metal.
One Year Dead - Post-Hardcore
Mothcob - Their bandcamp describes them as Punk / Grindcore / Heavy Noise
Inertia - ... I literally can't find anything on these (the above bands have all been linked to on the FB event, but there's no link for these). Only band I can find with that name is a London based dark electro outfit. >_>

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:23 pm

I've just seen the semi-final draw for those that have qualified from the first three heats.

Semi 1 - Sat 8th April: Gorgeous Morgue, Sobriquet, Gorilla Warfare
Semi 2 - Fri 14th April: Bovidae, Horizontal Faults*, Delirium
Semi 3 - Sat 15th April: Aonia, Crucifixiation, Grandmother Suplex

* looks like, with Soul Shredder pulling out, Horizontal Faults are through in their place. The contrast in technical ability is going to be astounding, considering the other two are far and away the most technically gifted bands to qualify so far.

Apparently, the line-up for the remaining heats includes:

Heat 4:
* Thrash
* Hardcore/Hard Rock/Nu Metal
* Post-Hardcore
* Punk/Grndcore/Heavy Noise
* another band I can't find anything on.

Heat 5:
* 2x Metalcore
* 1x Harcore
* 2x Post-Metal/Sludge

Heat 6:
* 1x 'Metal' (mysteriously vague description there)
* 1x Metalcore/Hardcore
* 1x Post-Metal/Doom/Sludge
* 1x 'Prog' (cites Karnivool, Animals as Leaders and Tesseract as influences)
* 1x Metal/Deathcore
* 1x Punk/Metal.

Hmmm...

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:38 am

Here's how Sheffield's 4th Heat went down:

There were five bands in this one, due to someone pulling out a week or so back.

Amnesia
Thrash

Apparently these guys had an album out in 1991 and they toured with the likes on Xentrix back in the day. I think the opening track was a newer one (based on how they introduced the tracks after), and was not that thrashy. In fact, it resembles Queensryche, or maybe a stripped down Dream Theater. That said, from the second track onwards, they were most definitely thrash. They were pretty tight, and I enjoyed most of the tracks. Would be more than happy to see them again, maybe as a local opener on a thrash tour.

IMRD (In My Restless Dreams)
Hardcore/Hard Rock/Nu Metal

Given the above self description on facebook, I wasn't sure what to expect. What we got was sort of a halfway house between middle of the road / radio friendly metal and the melodic end of Killswitch Engage's catalogue. They were quite professional looking and sounding, brought a heap of people and got a good reaction.

One Year Dead
Post-Hardcore

It was like being in the early to mid 00s all over again. Reminded me of earlier Funeral For A Friend. OYD utilise two vocalists - one for clean vocals and one for growls. The growler was front of stage (well, on the dancefloor because they have too many members for the stage). I thought these guys weren't that original, but did get a solid reaction. There was an interesting bit where they played a ballad, and the entire band sat down for it, and they encouraged the crowd to do it too (front few rows obliged).

Mothcob
Punk / Grind / Heavy Noise

Grind really isn't my bag (seriously, I don't get why you have lyrics if there is a nearly 0% chance of being able to make the vocals out - just seems a bit redundant), but the band were tight (particularly the guitarist). From my limited exposure to Grind, these were (musically) towards the more 'melodic' end of the spectrum.
Unfortunately at least one of the band members had some crazy BO going on, and the crowd noticeably stood back from them. It was all a bit awkward.

Inertia
Hardcore / Metal

Apparently they recently changed their name from something else (was chatting to the booker of the event), but don't recall what they were known by. Apparently they've tweaked their sound and made a small line-up change and this was 'Inertia''s debut gig. Frontman was quite passionate, and the band were fairly tight. Not my usual cup of tea, but would have been fine with them going through.

After Inertia finished, controversy struck! One or two of the staff members became convinced there had been some vote tampering on the public vote side (I can certainly say that one band seemed to have less by the time I cast my vote vs. when I'd looked earlier at how the votes were going).

Part of the problem is that the voting box is open topped, with six compartments (hence how I - or anyone else - could see how the vote was going. There were a couple of other things - 1) The box was brought out around the 3rdish band on, instead of during the final act, and 2) the chap 'watching' the box definitely wasn't there for the entirety of the time the box was out.

To be fair to the venue, they acknowledged it wasn't the best method and they are changing it up from now on.

The resolution to all this was that the entire public vote was rendered null/void, and they simply went on the judges votes.

IMRD, Mothcob and One Year Dead went through (I *think* IMRD were the winners, and Mothcob were definitely second). For me, IMRD should definitely have gone through, as I had them and Amnesia vying for first place. I had Mothcob and Inertia vying for 3rd, though OYD weren't poor or anything. I'll be interested to see how these three do against some of the others.

In other Sheffield Heat news, we might be having a 7th Heat! With the semi-finals being on weekends (and one on Good Friday), the venue have realised they can accommodate more than six acts. Talk was that, if it goes ahead, they'll do a heat with bands who finished 4th in the others - kind of like a repechage round. This pleases me, as I think Sour Tusk and Soulphernus were definitely unlucky to have been eliminated.

It's also been confirmed that the final (on a Saturday) is going to be a pretty long one. At least 6 bands in the final, plus a special guest headliner.

We have a week off now, so I'll be back in the thread in two weeks with my thoughts on Heat 5.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:37 am

Newcastle Heat 2:

Although most of our heats are a Thursday, to avoid other clashes, Heat 2 was a nice midweek warmer.

Four competing bands again this week and interesting mix of bands and styles.

“We’re from the bad side of the Tyne,” announce Sunderland band Razorjack who play an enjoyable and competent slice of modern metal, influenced by the likes of Slipknot, they’ve a mild stage presence and some interesting songs. A cover of ‘Gay Bar’ is also quite amusing and they warm up nicely.

It’s another good way to start the evening, good quality and hopefully they will grow in confidence.

Teeside Thrashes Trendkill (I love alliterations. Mr Scorer called them the Parmo Pantera. If you don’t know what a Parmo is, then, you need one in your life… your arterys don’t, but you do.)
Fuck me, what they been feeding kids these days? The teens deliver face-melting thrash.

They’ve travelled quite a distance to be here, but are going home with some new found friends.

Horrorbilly band Dead By Dawn remind me one of the things I dislike about the competition is the inevitability a good band will have to go out. They’ve got a bit experience and play a very enjoyable set of songs about zombies, more zombies, reanimation of zombies and general horror songs. Massive kudos that they carried on despite illness to their drummer, borrowing Dan from the bar to drum their set in his break. He did this for Lovely Wife last year. He’ll get through one day.

I did wonder, with the standards tonight, if last year’s finalists I’ll Play the Villain could fall at the first round. But, they play tonight with a massive whim of confidence, added to their mix of melodic metalcore (alliterations!) and they take the competition and grab it by the balls and punch it a few times. Last time round, I enjoyed them in the heats, loved them in the Semis but they weren’t on top form in the final, tonight’s performance is probably better than their semi performance last time and they’re going to be one to beat.

Talking to IPTV afterwards I discuss that the 4 bands already through could make one Hell of a final already – and – there’s still 4 more heats to go…. eek…

So, genuinely, there were no bad bands tonight, but congratulations to Trendkill and I’ll Play the Villain who join Kraken Waker and Blood Moon Bandits in the semi’s in May.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks for the reviews folks, much appreciated.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:15 am

Blake_Porter wrote:Black Metal is constantly overlooked.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but, from my experience, it seems that the volume of black metal bands around is relatively low in comparison to, say, Metalcore (just throw a genre out there).

robin8585

Postby robin8585 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Manchester Heat 4:

Silverchild - Hard Rock/Blues. Was gutted these guys had to pull out of heat 2 when an unspecified "medical emergency" hit their drummer a few hours before the show. Luckily the organisers let them switch into another heat. Not sure what happened, because they don't elaborate, but they're playing with a stand-in drummer, so I guess it was something reasonably serious. Not that it makes a difference, they're outstanding, probably the best I've seen them. They're the band I most want to see go through, but alas, they do not.

Liberty Slaves - Rock'n'Roll. With a front man channelling Lemmy in vocal stylings, they do the thing they do well. Unfortunatly, it isn't a thing I personally like all that much, I found them pretty dull.

Kringer and the Battle Kats - Groove Metal, with a Trombone. High energy, songs about wanking T-Rex's and the Stone Cold Stunner, very, very silly. They are obviously very well liked in the room and go through in first place. I personally put them down third, but I can't really complain, they were fun.

Trading Arms - Slam Death Metal. Everything about this band puts me off, the on and off stage attitude of it's members, the crabcore squatting all of them are constantly engaged in, the style of music itself. I've never been a slam fan, and this is probably one of the better examples I've seen, but it's still gash. A bunch of their mates jump on stage for the last song and take over some of the vocal duties, and I think that seals it for them, they go through in second.

VOID - Progressive Metal. Yay, keyboards, first time this year. Another band I already know and like, they're on great form, and the crowd is into it with multiple chants going up throughout the set without prompting from them, and seeming not to be restricted to the gaggle of mates they've brought. Certainly deserved to go though, but again, it is not to be.

Disaponted with the result, this is the first one so far where my top 2 were totally different from the judges. I get Kringer, but Trading Arms totally baffles me. Hey ho, opinions and all that, still an enjoyable night, and usually by this stage in the contest I've stopped bothering to show up. That I plan on carrying on attending still shows they must be doing something right here.