What Are We Waiting For?

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: What Are We Waiting For?

Postby Jobdone » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:52 pm

VizardAmata wrote:There was beef between them? Well, I know there is difference in band members but surely with Gloryhammer having played whatever they were upset over has been put to bed?

They played sans Chris Bowes though didn't they?

I think he's the one with the strop on.

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Jobdone wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:There was beef between them? Well, I know there is difference in band members but surely with Gloryhammer having played whatever they were upset over has been put to bed?

Nope he was there.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Wasn't he dressed as a wizard?

Or am I imagining things?
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Wasn't he dressed as a wizard?

Or am I imagining things?

Dressed as a wizard and playing the keys.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:51 pm

Bizza wrote:
Jobdone wrote:

Nope he was there.

Maybe there's a chance then! I'd love for them to play.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:13 am

From memory, it's all about money. Chris (probably rightly) thinks Alestorm are a bigger band than Bloodstock do, and wants them higher on the bill and paid appropriately. Until the two sides can meet in the middle, I suspect Alestorm at Bloodstock won't happen. Gloryhammer are a much smaller band at this point, and Chris already publicly stated that they'd play Bloodstock for free.

FWIW, I'm not at all bothered by this. Gloryhammer were fantastic, but Alestorm were very weak a few months ago, and I'm in no hurry to see them booked for Bloodstock (even if I can see that they're a band that should be booked).
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:54 am

Tet wrote:From memory, it's all about money. Chris (probably rightly) thinks Alestorm are a bigger band than Bloodstock do, and wants them higher on the bill and paid appropriately. Until the two sides can meet in the middle, I suspect Alestorm at Bloodstock won't happen. Gloryhammer are a much smaller band at this point, and Chris already publicly stated that they'd play Bloodstock for free.

FWIW, I'm not at all bothered by this. Gloryhammer were fantastic, but Alestorm were very weak a few months ago, and I'm in no hurry to see them booked for Bloodstock (even if I can see that they're a band that should be booked).

Same here, love Gloryhammer but don't see the fuss about Alestorm.

And yeah, they're pretty big these days - headlining a stage at Hellfest this year, and the new album just went in at no.50 in the UK and 14 in Germany, which would be comparable to what Behemoth achieved with their last album. So 3rd place or even special guests could be realistic for them, which I can't see them ever getting.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:58 am

I was never sure if it was purely money. I heard (through friends of friends etc) that it was linked to placement on the bill.

IIRC the band considered themselves big enough (whenever this originally kicked off) to be playing 3rd or 4th down on the Dio stage, but the festival saw them only as an early slot band. I mean, it could be more that it's the money aspect of it, I was just told it in relation to bill placement.

Tbh, regardless of whether they could play there previously, I'm pretty sure Alestorm could play 4th, 5th or 6th (depending on sizes of bands either side on that particular day). Personally, I think 4th or 5th down would be pretty much spot on these days (45 min slot either near 3ish or just after 4ish).

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:00 am

Didn't see that previous post. With that being the case on the Hellfest billing and the album charting, I think they'd be ace for a 3rd top slot.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:13 am

Haldamir319 wrote:Didn't see that previous post. With that being the case on the Hellfest billing and the album charting, I think they'd be ace for a 3rd top slot.

Comparing them to 3rd place bands in recent years:

2017 - Testament, Hatebreed, Skindred
2016 - Venom, Paradise Lost, Symphony X
2015 - Overkill, Death, Cannibal Corpse

Then Alestorm are at least as big as all of them (Paradise Lost is the only one that are arguably bigger), and would probably get bigger crowds than any of them at Bloodstock, so if they're asking for 3rd or 4th it seems entirely reasonable. Especially considering we have Decapitated, Municipal Waste and Hell in 4th position this year, and they're obviously bigger than all of them.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:16 am

Well, it was something like three or four years ago that I was told, prior to Sunset coming out.

Back Through Time got to #200 in the UK and #42 in Germany.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:54 am

I don't see them getting that, as much as they obviously deserve it.

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:54 am

i0th wrote:I would say Alestorm are easily top 3 these days.

6-7 years or so ago maybe, but not now. If that's the best Bloodstock could come up with for that slot next year, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:16 pm

6-7 years ago? They only had two albums out by that point and, whilst they were popular on the touring circuit, they are considerably moreso and more well known now.

There's no way they were a top three act in 2010 (Opeth, Meshuggah, Sonata Arctica, COB, Fear Factory, Devin Townsend, Twisted Sister, Cannibal Corpse, Bloodbath), nor in 2011 (WASP, Devin, Kreator, Immortal, Rhaspody of Fire, Therion, Motorhead, Morbid Angel, At The Gates).

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:39 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:6-7 years ago? They only had two albums out by that point and, whilst they were popular on the touring circuit, they are considerably moreso and more well known now.

There's no way they were a top three act in 2010 (Opeth, Meshuggah, Sonata Arctica, COB, Fear Factory, Devin Townsend, Twisted Sister, Cannibal Corpse, Bloodbath), nor in 2011 (WASP, Devin, Kreator, Immortal, Rhaspody of Fire, Therion, Motorhead, Morbid Angel, At The Gates).

I agree that they weren't a top-3 act in 2010 or 2011 when you look at who actually played in that slot. My point is that they're not worthy of that now either.

Whilst they only had 2 albums out by then, they still had a buzz about them which by now, has surely died down a hell of a lot.