What Are We Waiting For?

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Re: What Are We Waiting For?

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:59 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:
Whilst they only had 2 albums out by then, they still had a buzz about them which by now, has surely died down a hell of a lot.

Any "buzz" was from the stupid pirate gimmick, which theyve long since flogged to death and is no longer a thing anymore, like when they played Bloodstock in 08 and people saw them as a gimmicky joke band that wouldnt be around long. Theyve stuck around though and got a lot bigger, so regardless of any buzz, that have to be higher up than they would have been previously.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:32 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Didn't see that previous post. With that being the case on the Hellfest billing and the album charting, I think they'd be ace for a 3rd top slot.

Comparing them to 3rd place bands in recent years:

2017 - Testament, Hatebreed, Skindred
2016 - Venom, Paradise Lost, Symphony X
2015 - Overkill, Death, Cannibal Corpse

Then Alestorm are at least as big as all of them (Paradise Lost is the only one that are arguably bigger), and would probably get bigger crowds than any of them at Bloodstock, so if they're asking for 3rd or 4th it seems entirely reasonable. Especially considering we have Decapitated, Municipal Waste and Hell in 4th position this year, and they're obviously bigger than all of them.

No way are Alestorm bigger than CC or Skindred, I'd say you have a bit with the them being than the rest though.

bloodofthekings wrote: they still had a buzz about them which by now, has surely died down a hell of a lot.

The buzz has died down but that only really applied to casual fans, the fact that they have stayed as large and relevant as they're now shows that they have managed to convert a lot of those fans into more committed fans. They've shed the former but consolidated on the latter. Hell, just look at Steel Panther, Ghost, The Darkness to see that even after the buzz dies down those bands can still have large followings. If you want an example of a gimmick band that has lost their buzz+audience and played BOA around the same time then look at Turisas; Alestorm have done well and away better than they have.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:33 pm

houston4044 wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Didn't see that previous post. With that being the case on the Hellfest billing and the album charting, I think they'd be ace for a 3rd top slot.

Comparing them to 3rd place bands in recent years:

2017 - Testament, Hatebreed, Skindred
2016 - Venom, Paradise Lost, Symphony X
2015 - Overkill, Death, Cannibal Corpse

Then Alestorm are at least as big as all of them (Paradise Lost is the only one that are arguably bigger), and would probably get bigger crowds than any of them at Bloodstock, so if they're asking for 3rd or 4th it seems entirely reasonable. Especially considering we have Decapitated, Municipal Waste and Hell in 4th position this year, and they're obviously bigger than all of them.

No way are Alestorm bigger than CC or Skindred, I'd say you have a point with them being bigger than the others though.

bloodofthekings wrote: they still had a buzz about them which by now, has surely died down a hell of a lot.

The buzz has died down but that only really applied to casual fans, the fact that they have stayed as large and relevant as they're now shows that they have managed to convert a lot of those fans into more committed fans. They've shed the former but consolidated on the latter. Hell, just look at Steel Panther, Ghost and The Darkness to see that even after the buzz dies down those bands can still have large followings. If you want an example of a gimmick band that has lost their buzz+audience and played BOA around the same time then look at Turisas; Alestorm have done well and away better than they have.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:14 am

I totally agree with those a few pages back saying Download looks weak, very little for me there, about 2 bands I'd want to see each day! I'm actually going on the friday cause a friend won us free tickets, There's only SOAD and Exodus I want to see, and they will both probably clash. Guess Download just doesn't catter for my tastes much anymore.

Alestorm I would of thought would be about 3rd down, they seem to be alot bigger now, but I'm no expert on them. Anyway I'm not expecting anything of that size now. I'm still hopeful of little gems like The Infernal Sea last week, but not too bothered if there's nothing much else for me.

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:20 am

How accurate are these early guesstimate clash finders? Such as this here?

https://clashfinder.com/s/bloodstockfestival2017/

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:46 am

At this stage they are probably fairly accurate for Dio and Sophie stages but not New Blood

That is unless they decide to change how they do Sophie headliners again

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:08 am

Damn. My only bad clash is Blind Guardian and Nordjevel... but that's a biggie.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:00 pm

houston4044 wrote:No way are Alestorm bigger than CC or Skindred, I'd say you have a bit with the them being than the rest though

Alestorm's last couple of albums have charted in the UK and they do quite extensive tours. Cannibal Corpse have never charted here in their entire history and I doubt they'd pull the same size audiences as Alestorm other than at one off London gigs.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:45 pm

JPMC wrote:Damn. My only bad clash is Blind Guardian and Nordjevel... but that's a biggie.

Same. I really hope that changes, but I doubt it.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

RazvanIksandar
Lowly Peon

Postby RazvanIksandar » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:17 am

[Deleted]
Last edited by RazvanIksandar on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:28 am

RazvanIksandar wrote:Have Beholder actually been announced/confirmed/leaked? I see a lot of posts talking about them as if their playing but no concrete evidence.

Or is this just a big forum inside joke?

It's the band of one of the festival organisers and they frequently get booked, usually in a slot far larger than they really deserve. Earlier this year they announced they're calling it quits, so money's on Bloodstock being their farewell show.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 am

Yep. Especially as we aren't really expecting anyone special at this late a date. It'll just be a "filler" band, if it was a major band they would have been announced ages ago to maximise ticket sales.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Yep. Especially as we aren't really expecting anyone special at this late a date. It'll just be a "filler" band, if it was a major band they would have been announced ages ago to maximise ticket sales.

Couple this with the fact that if it's already nearly sold out, then they don't need to get anyone special since they don't need to bump ticket sales, they can just get anyone really.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 pm

With Amon Amarth, Ghost and Megadeth headlining? Doubt it.

It's not going to sell out if Twisted Sister playing their last European show, Mastodon who are apparently very popular and Slayer didn't sell out. At least two of those probably shifted quite a few day tickets to people that wouldn't attend a full weekend. There's nothing rare this year apart from maybe Blind Guardian who might attract a few Europeans.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 pm

All the speculation about Beholder is just a smokescreen put up by Bloodstock to catch the forum off guard, so they can brag they have pulled off a massive coup by signing this lot to fill the last mainstage slot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhwAPmk5Vw