Bloodstock 2018???

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Bloodstock 2018???

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:02 pm

I don't think anyone mentioned it was a headliner. The only headliner that has previously been announced at the festival was Emperor (and Slayer, but I don't think that counts). Three of four previous festival announcements have been Black Metal bands. Behemoth, Emperor and Venom, with Anthrax being the other.

However I think this is just down to personal likes or dislikes rather than whether a band is worthy of an announcement.

Nightwish are more likely to play Download. I won't comment on my views of them as a band, but Night rhymes with shite. Certainly wouldn't be worthy of an announcement. Big band? Yes, but that sort of stuff is ten a penny.

Manowar would warrant a big announcement, but I'll eat my hat if they play. I know for a fact they won't play with a limiter and Bloodstock has problems with complaints about excessive noise. Not happening.

I go to Power Metal shows, even went to them before the term was coined. But outside of one date in London you are getting two men and a dog I'm afraid. Even Manchester struggles to get a few hundred in for the name bands, unless it's someone like Sabaton. Blind Guardian had a much smaller crowd than Kreator got in the same venue. That was one of the better attended PM shows.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:32 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:And I'm pretty sure a headline performance by a band like Nightwish or Manowar would get a much bigger crowd than Emperor.

Emperor's crowd in '14 was huge, certainly one of the biggest I've ever seen at BOA.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:07 pm

I wouldn't say Nightwish were '10 a penny' - there's only really them and WT that could headline, after that theres a big drop off to your Delains and Epicas who get decent crowds but can't sell out a 1400 cap place, after that its small club bands. While Download's crowd may be one attraction a full set for a this 'best of' tour they've got planned with pyro etc may be attractive.

I didn't go to the BG gig in Manchester, but its one of the bigger PM gigs - I think the last one I went to was Edguy, who sold out the much smaller Sound Control, I missed the Firewind one due to work. Manchester doesn't seem to like old school metal - Queensryche got a tiny crown in the Ritz and have not been back since. I think generally PM got into the media when Bloodstock started growing and the likes of Hammerfall, Edguy etc got into Metal Hammer, but the first albums they released after this attention weren't as good as the older ones and they were greeted with a shrug, so most haven't got past club level.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:26 pm

What I meant by "ten a penny" is there are loads of those Symphonic Metal bands with a female front person that are good enough to play, but would be a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a band that would take up a headlining slot.

They all sound the same to me. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:43 pm

That's entirely a subjective thing though. If someone said all death metal bands sounds the same, you'd jump down their throat.

Nightwish are almost borderline too big now. Between sub headlining Download (to a whopping crowd despite crap weesther) and selling out Wemlbey Arena the last time they were in thr UK, I can imagine they aren't the cheapest. Saying all that, I do hooe they headline again one day.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:12 am

Quite true though. It does all sound the same to me. :P

I was in the pub a few weeks ago and heard a song I knew was Nightwish. Then heard about six or seven songs that I assumed were Nightwish as there is a Nightwish album on there. Then the next song came on and it was another band that I definitely knew wasn't Nightwish. Seems that out of those songs only one was Nightwish and all the other songs were different bands as it was a compilation album. Possibly homemade. :lol:

But I agree, if you don't like or know certain genres then you don't pick up on variations. I can't stand Rap for example. Would I be able to tell the difference between say DR Dre and Tupac? Doubt it. I can't even tell the difference between Radiohead, U2 and Coldplay. Or most AOR..... :|

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:36 am

I think the Wembley thing is a red herring as it was the only Uk gig on the tour and was being filmed so was an 'event' - bit like Opeth (although they had a smaller set up in the arena). On a tour they're back to smaller theatres that typical headliners play. WT had also played Wembley and didn't pack out BOA.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:38 am

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 am

I think Lamb of God and Machine Head are probably due a return, although I dunno if they'd be headliners again, special guests, or just regular bands. Either way, both'd be a waste of a slot imo, but hey ho.

Slayer only just played last year, so I doubt they'd be back again so soon.

I can see Sabaton getting booked again, and I'd be happy with that, but they've played a lot in past few years so I can see people getting fed up with them being booked so often.

Putting headliners aside, I'm personally hoping for Moonsorrow, Turisas, and Anaal Nathrakh to get booked. Kalmah might have a new album out next year, but I have little hope they'll get booked. :lol:

... :(
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:01 pm

WorMzy wrote:I think Lamb of God and Machine Head are probably due a return, although I dunno if they'd be headliners again, special guests, or just regular bands. Either way, both'd be a waste of a slot imo, but hey ho.

I can't see either band returning next year or dropping down a position, MH would have the draw of it being a rare festival appearance as they don't do them so much (or at all, cba to look it) anymore and LoG haven't really shrunk (or grown).

Personally I'd like to see some rarities or an "event" next year, this year is great and all but it's people I could see at gigs anyway (except BG doing Imaginations in full), something along the lines of Demolition Hammer, Sacred Reich or a few albums in full or a reunion would be cool (and yes I'm aware Emperor would tick all these boxes).

Killing_time
Paster of Muppets

Postby Killing_time » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Machine Head aren't interested in festivals anymore or maybe it was just UK festivals :/ After they played Download 2012 and were placed under Chase And Status they had a hissy fit although they headlined Bloodstock the same year they were already booked. Not sure if they will return to festivals over here.

Death to Power Pop!! It should go down with the sinking ship that is Download festival.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think anyone mentioned it was a headliner. The only headliner that has previously been announced at the festival was Emperor (and Slayer, but I don't think that counts). Three of four previous festival announcements have been Black Metal bands. Behemoth, Emperor and Venom, with Anthrax being the other..

Immortal were announced as headliner for 2011 at BOA 2010.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:11 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think anyone mentioned it was a headliner. The only headliner that has previously been announced at the festival was Emperor (and Slayer, but I don't think that counts). Three of four previous festival announcements have been Black Metal bands. Behemoth, Emperor and Venom, with Anthrax being the other..

Immortal were announced as headliner for 2011 at BOA 2010.

Of course they were. Forgot about that. :doh:

So that's another Black Metal band announcement. :lol:

Luciam
Powermetal Child

Postby Luciam » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:57 am

Killing_time wrote:Machine Head aren't interested in festivals anymore or maybe it was just UK festivals :/ After they played Download 2012 and were placed under Chase And Status they had a hissy fit although they headlined Bloodstock the same year they were already booked. Not sure if they will return to festivals over here.

I think "hissy fit" is harsh, yeah they didn't think they were getting high enough slots but I think a lot of that came down to the fact they're getting 60 minutes at the vast majority of festivals they play (even headlining would've been 2 hours at the absolute most), they went on tour with no support and played between 2h30m & 3h15m so gave their fans more value for money, unlike a lot of bands they probably don't pick up that many new fans from festival shows

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Think Soni '09 also played into it, were booked high up the bill and then late on were knocked down a slot to make way for Limp Bizkit, that would piss anyone off to be fair :P :lol:

I think they would pick up more new fans at festivals than their own shows, how many casual fans are going to stump up over £40 on a whim? I wouldn't call it a hissy fit but I think they're probably fed up with their treatment by festivals, I imagine they'll change their mind at some point.