Bloodstock 2018???

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Bloodstock 2018???

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Bizza wrote:Emperor just announced a festival date in April next year...

Meh. Emperor would be a massive let down for me. Plus, it would be odd for them to do a festival announcement twice on the same band, surely?

Why?

A legendary band that has only played the UK a handful of times surely is worth an announcement. Much more so than the vast majority of bands.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Would be delighted with Emperor
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:
Bizza wrote:Emperor just announced a festival date in April next year...

Meh. Emperor would be a massive let down for me. Plus, it would be odd for them to do a festival announcement twice on the same band, surely?

Why?

A legendary band that has only played the UK a handful of times surely is worth an announcement. Much more so than the vast majority of bands.

Because Emperor were announced at the festival in 2013 for the following year. A big band who hasn't played before would be much more preferable.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Depends how they word it really, if they announce as a special "Anthems..." appearance then it'll look alot better than "hey we repeated the same thing we did 4 years ago".

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:42 pm

I still have this sneaking suspicion it might not be a band announcement. If you watch the vlog thing they did they made a point of saying "we are announcing SOMETHING" (rather than, "a band").

I mean, they could have just been trying to add mystery or whatnot.

As for bands, the big one is obviously Priest, but I still don't see it happening unfortuntately. My guesses are Sabaton, Emperor or Helloween.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:54 pm

I would much prefer Emperor to most bands. They hardly had a small crowd like all those Power Metal bands that everyone apparently wants. I love PM, but even the most ardent devotee realises that nobody watches them, unless it's Sabaton who are probably the worst band in the genre and wouldn't even be worth announcing as they play all the bleeding time anyway.

I think everyone is getting a bit over optimistic thinking that Judas Priest are playing. They can play a decent sized slot at Download (special guests last time) and will probably be doing a proper album tour next year anyway.

Halford recently said "a very exciting 2018 period with a big world tour taking place next year"*. Even if they did want to play a smaller festival then put your money on Ramblin' Man getting them instead.

*Planet Rock April issue according to Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Pri ... present.29
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:I still have this sneaking suspicion it might not be a band announcement. If you watch the vlog thing they did they made a point of saying "we are announcing SOMETHING" (rather than, "a band").

"Next year, by popular request, we are bringing back Battle of the Nations. Bloodstock - by the fans, for the fans!"

I'd love them to do what Wacken did that one year and just do the entire lineup in one go. Or at least the mainstage. Can't see it happening though, they probably like the exposure that constant band announcements bring.

Personally I'd guess Priest. They've openly been trying to get them for a while (if they'd announced anything else last year it would have been a disappointment for so many), and I think they'd make a big deal if they did get them. I wouldn't be shocked by Emperor either, they did make a big deal out of Behemoth the other year, and they were a recent repeat. Maybe announce Priest on the Friday and Emperor on the Sunday as their special guests.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 pm

They can't play Sunday as that's the day Slayer are playing. :hairbang:

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:I still have this sneaking suspicion it might not be a band announcement. If you watch the vlog thing they did they made a point of saying "we are announcing SOMETHING" (rather than, "a band").

I mean, they could have just been trying to add mystery or whatnot.

As for bands, the big one is obviously Priest, but I still don't see it happening unfortuntately. My guesses are Sabaton, Emperor or Helloween.

Vicky confirmed on Twitter that the first band booked for 2018 will be announced at this year's fest. Would be cool if other stuff was announced too though.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:28 am

Ah well, that clears that up then.

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:45 am

Emperor have actually announced two dates in March/April next year (Inferno and Metalmania).

Would love it to be them, but not convinced yet that they will do summer festivals.

Does increase the chance of maybe a one of London show tho, which I'd travel for

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:52 am

cheesemason wrote:Emperor have actually announced two dates in March/April next year (Inferno and Metalmania).

Would love it to be them, but not convinced yet that they will do summer festivals.

Does increase the chance of maybe a one of London show tho, which I'd travel for

Hope they're not still doing Anthems in full if they do play, found the Anthems set massively underwhelming compared to the Nightside shows.

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:16 am

bloodfiend wrote:
cheesemason wrote:Emperor have actually announced two dates in March/April next year (Inferno and Metalmania).

Hope they're not still doing Anthems in full if they do play, found the Anthems set massively underwhelming compared to the Nightside shows.

At least one of those shows is Anthems (can't remember which) and i definitely want that.
My favourite BM album

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:I would much prefer Emperor to most bands. They hardly had a small crowd like all those Power Metal bands that everyone apparently wants. I love PM, but even the most ardent devotee realises that nobody watches them

This just isn't true, though. Power metal bands pull respectable crowds at their own gigs. My anecdata says that they often pull bigger crowds than the shouty bands do. They haven't done so at Bloodstock of late, but that's because Bloodstock have pissed on power metal fans for so long that they no longer come to the festival in the same numbers that they used to. Yes, there are still a few diehards that will turn up for a single band. But putting a token power metal band on when the rest of the day consists of death, thrash and hardcore bands is obviously not going to draw a big crowd, because few are going to want the expense of a festival when there are no longer enough other bands on the bill for them.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:46 am

Tet wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:I would much prefer Emperor to most bands. They hardly had a small crowd like all those Power Metal bands that everyone apparently wants. I love PM, but even the most ardent devotee realises that nobody watches them

This just isn't true, though. Power metal bands pull respectable crowds at their own gigs. My anecdata says that they often pull bigger crowds than the shouty bands do. They haven't done so at Bloodstock of late, but that's because Bloodstock have pissed on power metal fans for so long that they no longer come to the festival in the same numbers that they used to. Yes, there are still a few diehards that will turn up for a single band. But putting a token power metal band on when the rest of the day consists of death, thrash and hardcore bands is obviously not going to draw a big crowd, because few are going to want the expense of a festival when there are no longer enough other bands on the bill for them.

Very true. I would expect a band like Blind Guardian to get a pretty respectable crowd but it would have been a lot bigger had Bloodstock not chased away a lot of the power metal fans in recent years by ignoring their tastes. And I'm pretty sure a headline performance by a band like Nightwish or Manowar would get a much bigger crowd than Emperor.
Plus, when people on here say they want more power metal bands to play, that's not to say they expect them to headline, but some more lower down the mainstage wouldn't go amiss and would certainly draw as much (if not more) than some of the cack they've had half-way up the bill in recent years.