Best / Worst BOA line-ups

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Best / Worst BOA line-ups

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:49 pm

houston4044 wrote:In terms of the main stage, 2017 is by far and away actually the best year for me.

In comparison the latest two fests were close 2015 there was 16 acts, 2016 there were 13 and this year there are 18 bands I'd see. When I look at the best and worst overall years it's quite a big contrast, 2013 had 15 and 2007 had 6 acts.

When you consider that (so far) the first 2 acts on the mainstage I don't plan on seeing, that's pretty good value for money.

You can't really compare 2007 and any of the earlier BOAs line ups with the later ones. Especially considering how small the festival was and the fact you were paying about £50 not £150. Six bands? Consider that only a few of the bands that played that year were actually signed to a record label and quite a few of those were new to the UK.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:00 pm

2006 was my favorite year. Especially seeing Nocturnal Rites that year.

I see they've finally announced their comeback album, although doubt they'll ever be back at Bloodstock again which is a sad sign of the times with the way recent line ups have gone

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:In terms of the main stage, 2017 is by far and away actually the best year for me.

In comparison the latest two fests were close 2015 there was 16 acts, 2016 there were 13 and this year there are 18 bands I'd see. When I look at the best and worst overall years it's quite a big contrast, 2013 had 15 and 2007 had 6 acts.

When you consider that (so far) the first 2 acts on the mainstage I don't plan on seeing, that's pretty good value for money.

You can't really compare 2007 and any of the earlier BOAs line ups with the later ones. Especially considering how small the festival was and the fact you were paying about £50 not £150. Six bands? Consider that only a few of the bands that played that year were actually signed to a record label and quite a few of those were new to the UK.

I'm just looking purely at the bands at face value (I.e. I like/don't like them), the later years do have an advantage in having a larger budget etc but it's how you use it that makes the difference. I know most of the 2007 bands (seen most of them as well) and I just don't like them that much regardless of cost. Saying that, hindsight is 20/20 and at the time compared to other festival line ups that I know of, 2007 doesn't look so bad in comparison; given what's happened since is when it starts to pale in comparison.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:02 pm

2008's lineup is pretty much cermented as my favourite BOA. It's all been downhill since then. :P

Last year's lineup was pretty pants tbh. I think this year has more bands I'm actually looking forward to.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson