Blind Guardian

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Blind Guardian

Postby Jay1993 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Never been a huge fan of power metal but I decided to check out some of Blind Guardian's stuff before the fest. So far I'm really liking the Follow the Blind album, probably because it's more speed metal orientated, but was wondering if anyone could recommend me more songs which span their entire discography, sort of like a greatest hits playlist?

Cheers guys! :D

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Blind Guardian

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Considering they are almost certainly playing the album in full then I think you only really need this plus a few of the regular encores such as Mirror Mirror, The Ninth Wave, Valhalla and The Bards Song. And Barbara Ann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB_zVyuAEDk

But listen to them all.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:45 pm

There's been no confirmation of them playing Imaginations in full and I think it would be an odd think to do in the UK, where the album never had any impact at the time. But they do seem to be playing it at other European festivals so who knows.

Songs that they pretty much always play are Valhalla, Mirror Mirror, The Bard's Son, Majesty and Welcome to Dying. If you like the speedier side of Blind Guardian then any of their first 5 albums should appeal...they become a bit more bombastic after that.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:31 pm

Yeah I've seen some discussion of them playing Imaginations in full on the announcement thread but no confirmation from the band or Bloodstock :? Usually they announce that sort of thing like they did with Fear Factory playing Demanufacture last year. I guess I'll keep an eye on setlist fm. I love Valhalla and The Bard's Song :D

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:07 am

Soze wrote:There's been no confirmation of them playing Imaginations in full and I think it would be an odd think to do in the UK, where the album never had any impact at the time. But they do seem to be playing it at other European festivals so who knows.

Regardless of it not having much impact at the time, they're much bigger now than when it came out, and any BG fan will own it and regard it as one of the best album, if not their best.

Seeing as they been playing the whole album for a while now, it would be a major dissappointment if they decide not to do it at BOA and just give us a standard festival set.

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:15 am

Jay1993 wrote:Yeah I've seen some discussion of them playing Imaginations in full on the announcement thread but no confirmation from the band or Bloodstock :? Usually they announce that sort of thing like they did with Fear Factory playing Demanufacture last year. I guess I'll keep an eye on setlist fm. I love Valhalla and The Bard's Song :D

I wouldn't expect an announcement from Bloodstock considering their apathy towards power metal these days...

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:27 am

I think it might depend on how long a slot they get. If they only get an hour (which is standard for SG) then they might stick to a best of set as Imaginations is nearly that long played live, probably only give enough time for 1 more track and as stated it wasn't that big over here at the time. If they get 75 mins like Sabaton or 90 like Avantasia (the last two power metal bands to SG) then the full Imaginations is on I reckon.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:38 am

It actually says,
Landing the special guest slot on Friday are power metal kingpins, BLIND GUARDIAN. Their set will be a UK exclusive for 2017
...so not the same Imaginations set as Europe? Or do they mean "Their appearance"?

At 65 minutes long though, including interludes....I'd prefer Nightfall....please be nightfall....

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:15 am

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:It actually says,
Landing the special guest slot on Friday are power metal kingpins, BLIND GUARDIAN. Their set will be a UK exclusive for 2017
...so not the same Imaginations set as Europe? Or do they mean "Their appearance"?

At 65 minutes long though, including interludes....I'd prefer Nightfall....please be nightfall....

Oh Nightfall would be amazing.

BG didn't say they were continuing the Imaginations set until December last year so after they'd already been announced for BOA. Maybe we could drop Chelsea Grin & Whitechapel then give BG 3 hours to play Nightfall, Imaginations & a chunky best of the rest.

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 am

Nightfall doesn't really do it for me, Imaginations is their best album by miles, if we don't get all of that I'll be dissappointed.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:14 pm

From their website.

Acknowledged, playing the whole Imaginations From The Other Side album during our latest live activities has been totally fun for us and our fans. Therefore, we thought, it would be unfair not to do the same thing during our next shows in 2016 and for the handful of shows we intend to play in 2017. Expect some nice and entire Imaginations From The Other Side treats for these shows, since they will become very rare occasions.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:48 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
I wouldn't expect an announcement from Bloodstock considering their apathy towards power metal these days...

Given their apathy I'd say it's more likely they would book them to play Imaginations, "heres your token power metal band playing their best album, that's it for the weekend though"

Having given it a few spins I got to admit I was expecting it to be a lot more bombastic for a power metal album :lol:

dclizardking
Paster of Muppets

Postby dclizardking » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Soze wrote:There's been no confirmation of them playing Imaginations in full and I think it would be an odd think to do in the UK, where the album never had any impact at the time. But they do seem to be playing it at other European festivals so who knows.

Songs that they pretty much always play are Valhalla, Mirror Mirror, The Bard's Son, Majesty and Welcome to Dying. If you like the speedier side of Blind Guardian then any of their first 5 albums should appeal...they become a bit more bombastic after that.

last gig they played was the whole of Imaginations with Mirror Mirror, Bard's Song and Valhalla to finish off the set. 12 tracks in all, looking like that might be what we get at Bloodstock.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:58 am

When I gave them a listen I quite liked the older more speed or trad metal stuff, but find it very hard to get into the more over the top stuff. Think I will try and watch them out of curiosity, as long as there are no clashes, will have to give Imaginations another listen.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:24 am

dclizardking wrote:

last gig they played was the whole of Imaginations with Mirror Mirror, Bard's Song and Valhalla to finish off the set. 12 tracks in all, looking like that might be what we get at Bloodstock.

I would be very happy with that!