Ideas for gluten free food to bring with me.

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Glutenfreedevil
Lowly Peon

Ideas for gluten free food to bring with me.

Postby Glutenfreedevil » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Having recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease like the rest of family, I've finally stopped being in denial and realised I have no idea what to take with me to a festival that is gluten free. What on earth do people take with them to festivals? So far on my list is homemade cookies and scones but aside from raiding the gluten free section in Asda, I could do with some other ideas! I can't survive on cookies and scones all week.. although I really will try :lol:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! ;)

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Re: Ideas for gluten free food to bring with me.

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:24 pm

If you can't be arsed bringing too much food, try eating at DeliKate (usually to the left of the main stage as you look at it. Gluten free paninis, a fantastic gluten free main meal every evening (vegan and carnivore versions) and she usually has some gluten free snacks too. There are regular GF customers who are like old friends to the DeliKate crew. IIRC there are salad boxes too and if you have any doubt as to whether you can eat something, please ask her staff to check for you.

There is usually the jacket potato stall too. I can't vouch for any other stall, as they are the only ones I eat at :D

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:45 pm

bring gluten free rolls and get the breakfast stalls to fill one up with egg, bacon etc There is usually a massive queue at DeliKates

Rukia
Lowly Peon

Postby Rukia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Just in case you weren't aware, food is banned from the arena so you'll need a doctor's note (signed with letterhead paper) in order to bring food in. I have coeliac disease too and think it's really important to take plenty with you, as most of the stalls are unsuitable for coeliacs. Even if some food is gluten free, if it's cooked alongside other food containing gluten it won't be after that. DeliKate is absolutely AMAZING, but because of that she can sell out quickly and then you might be a bit stuck!

For food items, I'm going with jelly pots, crisps, nuts, Eat Natural bars. Maybe some GF rice/noodle instant pots because it should be quite easy to pay/ask for a bit of hot water somewhere. For the Thursday when refrigeration won't matter much I'm going to take some pre-cooked pizza, sausage rolls and quiche too.

guyr
Lowly Peon

Postby guyr » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm a lifelong coeliac and in the good old days of gas camping stoves would rely on eggs and bacon! There's way more options now - as mentioned above deli Kate is the go to, consider bringing a bbq or two if you want to make some bacon sarnies but otherwise you can get some good gf pot noodle esque things from the biggest superstores - often in the same section as the regular ones. All the coffee places usually do boiling water for 30-60p a go.

Otherwise a lot of trail mix/ crisps/ those eat natural bars are pretty filling. One of my mates would bring tinned tuna and mayo sachets and bread and make sandwiches, and if your bread is not looking it's best people leave bbqs going when they're done so you can toast a bit of freshness into it! And usually pack a good days worth of hefty sandwiches for the Thursday - depends if you cba to cook or spend money on food.

Edit: should have read the last post!

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:46 am

There are breakfast stalls in the camping areas as well as the arenas