Prog anyone?

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Prog anyone?

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Didn't Queensryche only attract a couple of hundred punters on their last tour? Nowhere near special guests nowadays I'm afraid.

I would dread to see how much Dream Theater would cost seeing as they charge a hell of a lot for their own gigs. Wasn't it something like £80 a ticket last time?

But to be honest I don't think they are the type of Prog band that people are wanting. I would probably watch those two, but not many other Prog bands.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:39 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Didn't Queensryche only attract a couple of hundred punters on their last tour? Nowhere near special guests nowadays I'm afraid.

I would dread to see how much Dream Theater would cost seeing as they charge a hell of a lot for their own gigs. Wasn't it something like £80 a ticket last time?

But to be honest I don't think they are the type of Prog band that people are wanting. I would probably watch those two, but not many other Prog bands.

Coroner - prog thrash - were great a few years back.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:20 am

Dream Theater would headline but, as much as I love Dream Theater, they're not the right sort of band for Bloodstock.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:15 am

There's always some prog on the unsigned and Sophie stages somewhere, most metallers (myself included) find it chronically dull though, so big name prog bands are rare; we had Symphony X last year, but they've got much more of a power metal/heavy metal influence than the likes of Dream Theatre and Queensryche. We had Andromeda on the main stage in 2010 as well, but I really can't remember any other examples of prog bands on the main stage.

When the indoor was indoor, Vince was always booking that bloody Threshold band, who bored the fuck out of me. Also I remember Vandan Plas playing at the last indoor in 06, who were also unbearably dull.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:55 am

Skippy wrote:Twisted Illusion and Sentience (a bit on the djentier end though) might be up your street as well. And how noone has mentioned Bossk yet is beyond me.

The festival needs to book more bigger prog bands
, they'd make a change from all the generic thrash shit we seem to get instead.

Prog bands don't work very well at mainstream festivals, due to their longer songs and sets being quite short you normally end up with pleasing few people; the fans of the band feel short changed and casual fans don't get enough material to get a feel of the band. That said, I have nothing against them being booked, though not at the expense of the thrash :yes:

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:23 am

bloodfiend wrote:There's always some prog on the unsigned and Sophie stages somewhere, most metallers (myself included) find it chronically dull though, so big name prog bands are rare; we had Symphony X last year, but they've got much more of a power metal/heavy metal influence than the likes of Dream Theatre and Queensryche. We had Andromeda on the main stage in 2010 as well, but I really can't remember any other examples of prog bands on the main stage.

When the indoor was indoor, Vince was always booking that bloody Threshold band, who bored the fuck out of me. Also I remember Vandan Plas playing at the last indoor in 06, who were also unbearably dull.

A lot of what gets called prog metal is just long metal songs or just 'has keyboards' - I wouldn't call Evergrey prog but they get the tag, like Symphony X who are a better metal band than a prog one. I didn't see Threshold at BS but have seen them 10 times - once with that singer, who had a great voice but no prescence and the band weren't great. Since then they got better at writing punchier, more melodic songs with great choruses and got a much better frontman who could have sold the band to a metal/festival audience. For reasons best known to the core of the band, they froze him out and dumped him after stopping other band members from contributing to songwriter (guitarist Pete Morten also left) and they're carrying one with another singer/guitarist, so no idea if they've made a mistake, will see in November.

If you take prog as a means of doing thing with metal, not strictly the way it sounds then Shining, Moonsorrow, Ihsahn, Akercocke, Opeth, Devin Townsend, Mastodon, Goijira all have prog elements
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:18 pm

udiwudi wrote:The question I pose to you all is - which of the up and coming bands would you recommend to a prog fan?

I'm not a prog fan myself, but I'd suggest looking at:

- Ramage Inc
- Dakesis
- Sentience
- Endeavour
- Season's End

Of those, Endeavour are probably the only pure prog band, but all have elements that may appeal, depending on what type of prog you're looking for.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:14 am

I have had a taster of all the New Blood (sorry Hobgoblin) stage bands and those that either describe themselves as prog somewhere or sound prog are
Malum Sky
zhOra
Sentience
Prognosis
Netherhall
Ramage Inc

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Just going through a few bands that I'm unfamiliar with and reckon that Endeavour fits the bill for those looking for Prog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW3Eu2APoOM
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp