August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Re: 2018

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:13 pm

I'm delighted with both these headliners! I've seen Gojira a lot at various festivals and finally saw them headline their own show this year which was fantastic. They'll be great. As for Nightwish, I quite liked what I saw of them at Download last year and started listening to 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful' afterwards. It's a great album and I think Floor Jansen is a lot more listenable than Tarja Turunen. I was 95% sure that Nightwish would be announced once Wacken announced them. I had a suspicion that Gojira would headline too as they play every two years and move up the bill each time. It was either them or Sabaton to move up to headliners.

I saw someone mention Helloween earlier in the thread. Don't give up hope. I can see Pumkins Reunited being announced as the third headliner later in the year once the European Tour is finished. The final date is December 14th in Romania so I'd expect a bunch of festivals to announce them just before/after Christmas.

Judas Priest are another potential/requested headliner but since Bloodstock appears to try every year and fails I don't see it happening - especially since Nightwish have been given the Sunday slot and aren't likely to be cheap.

I've no idea who else could be a candidate. I'd like to see Killswitch Engage again but I don't think they'd be appreciated by the core Bloodstock attendee. In Flames have mellowed out too much to be of any interest to Bloodstock now I suspect, and they'll probably be at Download next year anyway (they always are).

Other than headliners I can see the following showing up at Bloodstock 2018:

Epica (probably couldn't be announced until mid-April because of the UK tour)
Edguy (just released a "greatest hits" albums with a few new songs and doing a "best of" tour in Germany before Christmas)
Max & Igor Cavalera Return to Roots
Iced Earth (new album came out earlier this year, haven't toured off it in the UK yet and bound to be in Europe next summer)

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Soze wrote:
I can't see your average death metal/hardcore/thrash fan liking Nightwish. The simple fact is, the reason death metal bands get bigger crowds at Bloodstock than power metal ones is there are more bands of that ilk playing. Blind Guardian sell far more records and play substantially bigger venues than the likes of Decapitated or Obituary, but get when you only book one power metal band all weekend, power metal fans aren't going to come out in their droves.

*cracks knuckles* :lol:
I'm a big fan of those genres and I'm not against Nightwish playing, but they wouldn't be near the top of my list of preferred headliners. Like you mention, book other bands more to my tastes elsewhere on the line up and I'll attend even though Nightwish are headlining. If I do attend next year I'll more than likely watch Nightwish, I think they're ok but wouldn't go to a show of their own so this will probably be my only chance to see them.

Do have to agree with the second part of what you say, I know it's not always possible but a bit more of a balance between genres on the line up would go a long way to increasing the draw to different demographics.

General question, who is bigger; Within Temptation or Nightwish?

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:46 pm

houston4044 wrote:General question, who is bigger; Within Temptation or Nightwish?

They're about the same size in the UK. Nightwish sold out Wembley Arena. Within Temptation nearly sold it out (but as one date of a small tour, where Nightwish just did a one off show).
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Nightwish was enough. 2018 ticket bought.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:45 am

houston4044 wrote:
General question, who is bigger; Within Temptation or Nightwish?

I would say Nightwish, slightly. It's difficult to judge. For example, if you look at their respective last appearances at DL, Nightwish were higher, though have played more recently.

WT have played 3rd top on the bill, with their last apperance being in 2014 (playing beneath Rob Zombie and above BLS). Nightwish last played in 2016, when sub-headlined beneath Maiden and were above Disturbed.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:14 am

But in the UK Within Temptation's latest album charted at #6 whereas Nightwish's charted at #12 - WT have generally had albums charting higher than Nightwish in the UK. It helps that a couple of WT songs from 'Hydra' got some airtime on BBC Radio 2. They're probably more "radio friendly" than Nightwish too.

Worldwide Nightwish have sold 9 million albums, but I can't find that statistic for WT on wikipedia.

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:28 am

One thing no one has said though is that (for me anyway) Nightwish are much heavier than Within Temptation, so will more likely have crossover appeal with the Bloodstock crowd

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:56 am

cheesemason wrote:One thing no one has said though is that (for me anyway) Nightwish are much heavier than Within Temptation, so will more likely have crossover appeal with the Bloodstock crowd

Black Wizard wrote: probably more "radio friendly" than Nightwish too.

I feel that I somewhat heavily implied it. :-D

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 am

Black Wizard wrote:
cheesemason wrote:One thing no one has said though is that (for me anyway) Nightwish are much heavier than Within Temptation, so will more likely have crossover appeal with the Bloodstock crowd

Black Wizard wrote: probably more "radio friendly" than Nightwish too.

I feel that I somewhat heavily implied it. :-D

:oops:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 am

houston4044 wrote:General question, who is bigger; Within Temptation or Nightwish?

“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 am

Sharon den Adel vs. Floor Jansen? I would so watch that.

Screw Mayweather vs. McGregor.

Metalcrusader
Lowly Peon

Postby Metalcrusader » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:39 am

Not the best start, but early yet I suppose.

red_death
Definitely Not Nu

Postby red_death » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:40 pm

Delighted that Gojira are headlining next year - they've been superb for a number of years and their headline tour this year was awesome.

Nightwish - meh!

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Not great but not terrible for me

Not bothered with Gojira at all but I will probably go see Nightwish as even though they dont particularly excite me im sure they will put on a decent show