August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Re: 2018

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 pm

someone else wrote:Gojira's crowd was massive last year - much bigger than Arch Enemy this year and bigger than done if the headliners (particularly Mastodon) so in the context of Bloodstock attendees it's a good promotion

hmmm, by that logic Evil Scarecrow are ready to headline, as they packed out the field and got bigger crowds than some of the headliners.

Gojira being special guests was a push last year, they're nowhere near headliner level. Back too soon and headline slot is way too big for them.

BOA have booked Nightwish who are a massive headliner, and so big they are almost out of the festival's grasp now, and seem to have offset this by making another band a headliner who will obviously be far cheaper and are nowhere near the headline level yet.

Greg_I
Lowly Peon

Postby Greg_I » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Judging by the cheer that went up (certainly near where I was standing) when Gojira were announced, I'd say they are big enough to headline! Nightwish got barely a murmur.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:01 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
someone else wrote:Gojira's crowd was massive last year - much bigger than Arch Enemy this year and bigger than done if the headliners (particularly Mastodon) so in the context of Bloodstock attendees it's a good promotion

hmmm, by that logic Evil Scarecrow are ready to headline, as they packed out the field and got bigger crowds than some of the headliners.

Gojira being special guests was a push last year, they're nowhere near headliner level. Back too soon and headline slot is way too big for them.

BOA have booked Nightwish who are a massive headliner, and so big they are almost out of the festival's grasp now, and seem to have offset this by making another band a headliner who will obviously be far cheaper and are nowhere near the headline level yet.

I'm not a massive Gojira fan but that's a disengenuous comparison when ES only only play small clubs and are clearly smaller than Gojira - it's all about how many tickets they'll shift and up here they were booked into the same venue as Megadeth and Slayer on their last tours. ES have never 'packed out the field' - they get big crowds but it's quite relaxed not that dense, you can move around fairly easily in say the back 2/3 of the arena - nowhere near what a headliner or SG should be getting. Gojira was quite dense even towards the tables near the beer tent.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

fishwicks
Powermetal Child

Postby fishwicks » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:19 pm

They sold me a ticket by booking gojira, last years performance was a stand out and unexpected triumph. Seen them support alter bridge and volbeat and blew them both away.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:46 pm

Greg_I wrote:Judging by the cheer that went up (certainly near where I was standing) when Gojira were announced, I'd say they are big enough to headline! Nightwish got barely a murmur.

I agree that Gojira are big enough to headline. And you're right, their announcement got a bigger cheer than Nightwish's however, remember when the announcement came - right after Kreator. So of course the crowd are more likely to cheer Gojira than Nightwish. Had that announcement been after Blind Guardian than the comparison would have been a bit different.
Plus, Bloodstock have actively chased away a lot of 'typical' Nightwish fans with their lack of melodic metal bookings in recent years. Hopefully Nightwish's inclusion will bring some of those people back.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Yes the lack of people watching and singing along to blind guardian is an obvious sign that fans of that type of music no longer attend.

I doubt they'll start booking melodic bands again just because nightwish are headling. It'll just be like ghost this year. A softer headliner with loads of aggressive music as their support ha ha.
I see the bad moon arising.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:41 pm

I don't like either band but I think they're good choices. For some reason Gojira are extremely popular amongst the Bloodstock faithful and always attract big crowds...and as much as I'm personally ambivalent to them, it's good that the festival is promoting 'smaller' bands to a headline status. It worked well for Amon Amarth this year.

I can't abide Nightwish but they're huge...only problem being, that unless the festival books more bands that appeal to that sort of crowd they could go down badly. If the Sunday is full of thrash, death and hardcore bands again then it's likely to put off Nightish fans from bothering. I doubt I'd go if I loved the headliner but loathed everything else!

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Two more repeat bookings of bands I couldn't care less about. Not looking good for my attendance next year!

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Turbo wrote:Two more repeat bookings of bands I couldn't care less about. Not looking good for my attendance next year!

Calling Nightwish a repeat booking is a bit harsh seeing they last played in 2008 :lol: By that token, any band who has EVER played can NEVER play again

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Ghost wrote:Yes the lack of people watching and singing along to blind guardian is an obvious sign that fans of that type of music no longer attend.

You reckon? I thought the large crowd that Blind Guardian got was indicative that there actually IS an audience for this kind of music at BOA.

Avantasia and Rhapsody got very small crowds in the special guest spot, but BG pulled a big crowd, showing that power metal can still be popular at Bloodstock IF the right band is booked.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:15 pm

^ Hopefully that and the small crowd the overhyped King 810 seemed to get will send a message...
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Greg_I wrote:Judging by the cheer that went up (certainly near where I was standing) when Gojira were announced, I'd say they are big enough to headline! Nightwish got barely a murmur.

Seriously?

Where I was standing all I heard were boos and a sense of apathy for both bands. :lol:

As far as I'm concerned both bands are nothing that I wanted, although it could have been much worse. But that probably means that all the bands that I would have wanted to headline are now out of the equation.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Vickie in booking her favourite bands in high slots shocker.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:11 pm

I don't know why people are using the drunk metalheads cheering as a sign of Gojira being a great booking. All I heard at the festival were people saying they only played last year and talking about how much of a weak booking it is.

In all honesty it's a lazy, cheap booking and I have no doubt in my mind that Five Finger Death Punch is the last headliner.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:12 pm

Yeah, from where I was standing it seemed pretty busy for Blind Guardian. Not as packed as some other bands got but still a good turn out. As for crowd reaction to the announcement, from where I was standing Gojira went down a storm. Nightwish were met with shoulder shrugging but as has been pointed out, there probably isn't a big crossover in Kreator and Nightwish's fanbase.