August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: 2018

Postby robin8585 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Nightwish I'm pretty happy about, and they're well due a return, but it depends which Nightwish shows up. Since Anette Olzon left they've been 50/50 for me between being one of the best live acts on the planet and being incredibly dull.

While I can't deny Gojira's crowd size last year, I don't like bands being booked again so soon, and personally think they're awful. Pretty standard for mainstage headliners for the last few years though, so I'm happy to have one I like.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:25 pm

I was stood in the same spot for both testament and blind guardian. In my opinion there was a crowd drop between the two and not many people knew the bards song.
I see the bad moon arising.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Ghost wrote:I was stood in the same spot for both testament and blind guardian. In my opinion there was a crowd drop between the two and not many people knew the bards song.

For sure, Testament are a much bigger band in the UK than Blind Guardian, who until fairly recently were unknowns (and are still largely ignored by the UK metal media). So it's no surprise that they didn't get as big a crowd as the likes of Testament. Also, I'd imagine a lot of the people who go to standalone Blind Guardian gigs wouldn't have bothered with Bloodstock this year as there was very little else of that ilk on. But they still got a decent size crowd.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:40 pm

cheesemason wrote:
Turbo wrote:Two more repeat bookings of bands I couldn't care less about. Not looking good for my attendance next year!

Calling Nightwish a repeat booking is a bit harsh seeing they last played in 2008 :lol: By that token, any band who has EVER played can NEVER play again

Think the only reason we don't get Nightwish every other year is more down to the nature of Nightwish and not the festival itself. And Gojira only having only played last year. Lazy.

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Soze wrote:Yeah, from where I was standing it seemed pretty busy for Blind Guardian. Not as packed as some other bands got but still a good turn out. As for crowd reaction to the announcement, from where I was standing Gojira went down a storm. Nightwish were met with shoulder shrugging but as has been pointed out, there probably isn't a big crossover in Kreator and Nightwish's fanbase.

I know a lot of BG fans who didn't go this year as it would be for "just" BG and not worth it. This includes my better 7/8's!

To appeal to a group of fans, you have to make the whole weekend worthwhile. Another couple of medium-sized PM bands, and a few small ones across teh weekend would be all that is needed there to maximise the selling power of the bigger band, especially a band who did a full UK tour the year before.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:00 pm

From where I was, Gojira got a huge reaction and Nightwish a relatively good one. We discussed the bookings back in camp and there was universal agreement amongst the 12ish of us that they were both good choices - regardless of if you like the band or not. We immediately reeled off a number of names of friends who hadn't been to BOA for a while (or ever) that we now believe will join the festival next year.

Gojira pull some of the biggest crowds at BOA (and not in 'novelty' way as is levelled at the likes of Evil Scarecrow - this is legit popularity). They are one of the tightest bands around too.

Nightwish are a perfect 'old school BOA' band. It will have been literally a decade since they last played and, again, have a good live rep (they were brilliant at Wembley the other year).

Bearintown
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Bearintown » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Slev wrote:
Soze wrote:Yeah, from where I was standing it seemed pretty busy for Blind Guardian. Not as packed as some other bands got but still a good turn out. As for crowd reaction to the announcement, from where I was standing Gojira went down a storm. Nightwish were met with shoulder shrugging but as has been pointed out, there probably isn't a big crossover in Kreator and Nightwish's fanbase.

I know a lot of BG fans who didn't go this year as it would be for "just" BG and not worth it. This includes my better 7/8's!

To appeal to a group of fans, you have to make the whole weekend worthwhile. Another couple of medium-sized PM bands, and a few small ones across teh weekend would be all that is needed there to maximise the selling power of the bigger band, especially a band who did a full UK tour the year before.

^ this true for us, when BG were announced thought we would make a return for first time since the great 2013 lineup. Wat a fool I was :lol:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:24 pm

Random question. ..

What was that video they played over and over on the screen where they are discussing something round a table. I could never hear it. Anyone know?
I see the bad moon arising.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:29 pm

Gojira- Ehhhh, I was expecting Sabaton to headline before Gojira, both had big crowds but just seems too soon for Gojira to be back. I get the logic behind it and given the crowd they pulled last time (and the amount of merch I was this year) they are a very in demand band but I'm still 50/50 on it. I went through a phase of really enjoying but have gone off the boil since then, won't draw me back to the festival.

Nightwish- I love Imaginarium...but little else. If they announced the singer from that album had returned and they were doing Imaginarium in full I would instantly get a ticket but alas. Again, I can see why they have been booked but I'm not a big fan. I'd give them a watch if I was there but wouldn't go just for them. Need to give the rest of their catalogue another listen to get a better idea.

I just hope BOA have learnt their lesson with Within Temptation and they at least put a few bands with crossover appeal to Nightwish on the same day. WT were so wasted last time in that regard and given Nightwish maybe the big headliner next year it would be a shame to waste them with an undercard that doesn't help attract a few symphonic fans.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 am

I had really hoped for Helloween but can't see it happening now.

Nightwish are not my thing at all and the general reaction around where I was standing at the back right of the arena was very much split. Some folk were very happy and others were very clear in their displeasure.

I would take Gamma Ray or Primal Fear on the bill next year.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

PowerThrash
Warrior of Metal

Postby PowerThrash » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:26 am

Gojira : They only played last year c-mon bloodstock.

Nightwish : Good booking, but to get a rammed crowd BS need to book few more bands from that genre (so maybe some Power Metal, hint hint).

If Blind Guardian stuggled to get a rammed crowd that's because to your Power Metal fan it's alot to pay for one band, the same might happen for Nightwish.

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:21 am

PowerThrash wrote:Nightwish : Good booking, but to get a rammed crowd BS need to book few more bands from that genre (so maybe some Power Metal, hint hint).

If Blind Guardian stuggled to get a rammed crowd that's because to your Power Metal fan it's alot to pay for one band, the same might happen for Nightwish.

I partly agree, but Blind Guardian play 2000 capacity venues over here, Nightwish played Wembley Arena last time. So have a much bigger fan base, and more crossover appeal

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:39 pm

cheesemason wrote:I partly agree, but Blind Guardian play 2000 capacity venues over here, Nightwish played Wembley Arena last time. So have a much bigger fan base, and more crossover appeal

I can't see your average death metal/hardcore/thrash fan liking Nightwish. The simple fact is, the reason death metal bands get bigger crowds at Bloodstock than power metal ones is there are more bands of that ilk playing. Blind Guardian sell far more records and play substantially bigger venues than the likes of Decapitated or Obituary, but get when you only book one power metal band all weekend, power metal fans aren't going to come out in their droves.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Don't like Nightwish one tiny bit- Gojira are ok - this will be their 3rd appearance in 10 years. Didn't enjoy the last time and if you listen to their latest stuff and don't watch the video it is pedestrian imho.
I would like to see Meshuggah sometime again

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Soze wrote:
cheesemason wrote:I partly agree, but Blind Guardian play 2000 capacity venues over here, Nightwish played Wembley Arena last time. So have a much bigger fan base, and more crossover appeal

I can't see your average death metal/hardcore/thrash fan liking Nightwish. The simple fact is, the reason death metal bands get bigger crowds at Bloodstock than power metal ones is there are more bands of that ilk playing. Blind Guardian sell far more records and play substantially bigger venues than the likes of Decapitated or Obituary, but get when you only book one power metal band all weekend, power metal fans aren't going to come out in their droves.

Nice to know me and my mates aren't average :lol: