BOA 2017: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
PowerThrash
Warrior of Metal

Re: BOA 2017: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Postby PowerThrash » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:15 am

The Good: :D
Amon Amarth - c-mon they were just amazing.
Wintersun - Great to finally see them.
VIP stuff - Darth Elvis.
The weather, after a few rain sodden weeks it turned out good.

The Bad: :(
Poor Megadave, The first and last time I saw Megadeth was on the Rust in Peace tour, BOA was a shattering of my past memories, his voice is so bad.
VIP some twats talking very loudly until 3 in the morning (I don't care if you have back ache because your breasts weigh the same as your chihuahua).

The Ugly: :guns:
Seeing a gang of lads (looked very chavy) wearing King 810 shirts, they were walking around with massive chips on shoulders looking like they were out for a fight.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:39 am

The Good:

- Arriving at 11am on Thursday and getting into the site within about half an hour meaning there was plenty of time for us to get a space in Hel. Addition of the extra campsite off Hel also meant it was less crowded than previous years and seemed to offer a similarly quiet alternative for those who couldn't get in Hel.

- General atmosphere - I swear the atmosphere gets better each year! I spoke with more friendly people this year than any other year and didn't encounter any idiots at all over the weekend.

- Toilets - As always, very well maintained. Only encountered one where there was brown stuff somewhere else other than the down the loo and that was in Midgaard :lol: . Mainly used the one's in Ragnarok and the arena over the weekend.

- Motley Brew and their cheap brews! Also the variety of filling vegan/vegetarian foods available in the arena.

- Crowd surfing for the first time to Municipal Waste :D Even though I lost my can of Hob Goblin :lol:

- Security letting drinks in plastic cups in, saved a lot of money and only spent £100 over the whole weekend.

- Bands - Both Amon Amarth and Ghost pulled off incredible performances and stage shows proving they're both worthy of headliner status. Megadeth also sounded much better than they did at Wacken recently and played Mechanix :rock: Great to see Testament for the first time although I was a bit gutted they didn't play anything off The Legacy album. First time seeing Skindred too and they absolutely blew the place apart, the crowd response definitely proved the doubters wrong. Thoroughly enjoyed Possessed, the front man was very charismatic and was having jokes with the crowd down the front by making gestures about their beards, props, or bald heads :lol: Other honourable mentions include Iron Rat, Morass of Molasses, Decapitated, Eradikator, Municipal Waste, Kreator, Macabre, Obituary, Arch Enemy and Atragon.

The Bad:

- Getting back into the site after getting your wristband. We just took our tents in the first time and headed back to get the rest of our stuff after we had set up and got wristbands. Unfortunately there was only one lane for people with wristbands to get back in and this was extremely narrow due to the queue build up that had happened over the day.

- Announcement was very underwhelming for me personally. Yes Gojira are worthy of a headline slot and will draw a massive crowd but I feel they're back to soon, was expecting them back in 2019 at least. Nightwish not to my tastes but maybe I should give them a proper listen.

The Ugly:

- My sun burn!

Bigjim
Lowly Peon

Postby Bigjim » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:01 pm

The good
Really enjoyed Battle beast, the one hundred, skindred
Managed to drink all my beer!
Enjoyed most headliners and supports
Midguard was quieter this year or thee ear plugs were better

Bad
Soil work were just as shit live as inflames were,
Every morning
Sunday morning with the sun. Curse you!!
Megadeath, they play everywhere and have no interest in them
Blind guardian, did someone steal their stage show!! Good music though
The one hundred singer, a gyrorating banana dressed as, least that's what I ended i thinkin

Ugly
Getting took out during the one hundred circle, bruised spine dam you
Post festival blues. Booooooo

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Bigjim wrote:Blind guardian, did someone steal their stage show!! Good music though

They mentioned this at the time, all their gear was lost in transit somewhere, they had to use Amon Amarth's kit.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:50 pm

GOOD
General punter behaviour (again not a reflection on the festival itself)
Friendly Showsec staff
Food choice (except the cheesy chips place who ran outta cheese when I ordered curly fries :( mac & cheese was a rip too - use smaller macaroni so it actually fills you up)
Silent disco in VIP
Bar staff in VIP
Option to pay by card (I didn't need it, mind) in VIP
Beer choice in both VIP and standard
VIP merch bag collection system; some complained about this but you'd have all weekend to collect it and it shortened the wristband collection time massively
Good number of showers in VIP
Phone charge bloke cleaned out my phone's charger port
Additional campsite

BAD
Long queues at standard entrance which thankfully I didn't have to deal with being VIP
No more food stall in VIP
Apparently as of this year, people on guestlists will still have to buy a full price standard ticket; a bummer but I guess there was rationale behind this
Deli Kate's last appearance
RJD stage sound at times
VIP showers slowly dying on Sunday
Toilets in general could do with better upkeep, but the daily top-up of bog roll isn't too bad, and I've seen much worse
Showsec policing of gazebos unnecessary in light of there being another campsite

UGLY
Cringey jokes by some of the comperes in between bands

RECOMMENDATIONS
They shouldn't call it VIP; simply paying £100-150 extra doesn't make you Very Important ;) maybe call it Premium or Deluxe or something and let the people on guestlists be called VIP
Free/cheap black refuse bag provisions, if this isn't already a thing

I would make comments about the lineups but then I appreciate the organisers have to make a judgement call about appealing to the greatest numbers, etc. Hopefully we'll see some more black metal next year but that's purely personal preference, and of course if I actually go.
Last edited by NeglectedField on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impetus
Powermetal Child

Postby Impetus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:52 pm

The good
Inquisition - Holy shit that might of been the loudest band I've ever seen.
First time crowd surfing to Xentrix. New vocalist sounded pretty damn good as well.
All the thrash bands I managed to see who put on pretty good sets. Feel sorry for people that aren't into thrash though.
The chicken shack place, cheap and really filling.
The Indian place near the entrance was also very good value for money as well.
Fourth time I've been to Bloodstock and the general atmosphere is superb. Happily chatting to strangers when walking around the festival and also back at camp.

The bad
Megadave's vocals were fucking god awful on Wake Up Dead and In My Darkest Hour. Stayed for a few more songs and then decided to call it. Shame as Megadeth are one of my favorite bands. The two new guys however are bloody amazing.
State of my stomach after the Indian food on Saturday. Decided to ask for extra hot sauce which wasn't a good idea. Cracking food though.
The hangover on the Sunday morning.

Ugly
Guy that was chewing on bark at the BBQ pit in Valhalla...
Lad in the crowds sunburn, bright pink arms not a pleasant sight.

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Good
The weather
Amon Amarth, Blind Guardian, Wintersun, Hell, Arch Enemy, Red Rum, Na Cruithne, Battle Beast, Wind Rose.
Hell's utterly ridiculous pyros
Deli Kate's food
Better selection of beers in the arena
Being able to take full plastic cups into the arena, saved me quite a few quid :yes:

Bad
The new drop off, putting it in the car park renders it useless.
Dragging all my stuff down from the carpark followed by 3 fucking hours in that queue
8 shower cubicles for about 10,000 people. really?
Still no Mead in the arena
No Uncle Gio's
The Bulleit Bourbon stall getting their staff to hold up advertising boards in the main stage crowd. One of them blocked my view 3 times during Hell. Knobheads.
Piss swamps around the urinals
Blind Guardian losing their gear
Ghost - Huge build up and then...nothing.
Kraken Ice cream costing money and not anywhere near as nice as last year.
Deli Kate retiring, fuck knows what I'm going to do for Arena food next year.
King 810 and all the other metalcore bollocks

Ugly
Increased amount of thefts and vandalism
Someone stepping on my tent and snapping a tentpole on Thursday evening
Piss swamp mud wrestling
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:24 pm

WorMzy wrote:- travelling down from Dundee
- travelling back up to Dundee with no battery left and no access to a power socket for the whole fucking journey :x

I am so happy I moved from Dundee to Reading. It makes getting to/from festivals in England a lot easier. :lol: I can also see just about any band that plays in London.

The Good:
- randomly bumping into a friend I hadn't seen in more than two years in Sophie just after Endeavour finished
- Blind Guardian playing 'The Script for my Reqiuem'
- the price of a pint was only £4.30 which is so cheap for a festival!
- toilets were cleaned twice daily in the campsites and early in the morning
- security did a great job with all the crazy people crowdsurfing, including me.

The Bad:
- the lockers. The system that company has is so inefficient. I will rant about this elsewhere.
- it was so cold at night. I barely got any sleep on Saturday night because I was shivering so much.
- the people who are too heavy to crowdsurf. Please be sensible guys.

The Ugly:
- Chuck Billy. I love Testament, but Chuck is one ugly bastard!
- the two hour queue on Thursday. Please do better next year.

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:34 pm

The Good:

Sound quality, didn't notice issues on any of the stages this year
The toilets
Showsec being thoroughly nice and professional
Didn't feel overly crowded, despite being sold out
Valhalla being reasonably quiet, actually managed to get some sleep this year

The Bad:

The queue to get in on Thursday
The dickheads running around on Sunday spraying mustard and brown sauce on people and their stuff
The death of my tent after 6 years of service, RIP

The Ugly:

The sunburn on the back of my left arm, must have missed a spot with the suncream
The guy who fell into the pissy mud at the urinals next to the Sophie stage
My bank balance, curse you contactless payments

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:42 pm

I'll keep this short as my view of the festival is, ahem, somewhat different from everyone elses!

Good:
Hell
Hell's Pyro.
Wintersun
Decent beer
The Deli Kate crew, all top people. Even the one who got a Deli Kate tattoo on Sunday!

The bad:
I was struggling to tell the difference between some of the main stage bands when I could only hear them. Not sure if that's indicative of the quality of the bands or my ears, who knows...
Thats the end of Deli Kate (at Bloodstock). I'm going to have to start buying tickets again...
Not getting down to the Poopstock/IRC camp at all.

The Ugly
The Kilt. Sorry Issy!

PhilNE29
Lowly Peon

Postby PhilNE29 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:27 am

The good:
The weather.
Cheerful staff on the merchandise stall (as usual).
Planned who I was going to watch a bit more thoroughly this year. Certainly paid dividends.
Seeing my Bloodstock mates who I only see once a year.
Toilets were well maintained.
Slept amazingly well.
The ramp at the road crossing point.
Gurt.
Skindred. (Personal highlight).
Amon Amarth.
Decapitated.
Whitechapel.
Lionise.
Shrapnel.
Black Moth. (Outstanding).
Iron Rat. (Equally outstanding).
Municipal Waste. (Always great fun).
Annihilator.
King 810. (Only me then?)
Winterfylleth.
Havok.
Macabre. (Reminded me of a morbid Frank Zappa set).
The One Hundred.
Megadeth.
Brujeria.
Broken Teeth.
Bossk.
Blind Haze.
Decrepit Monolith.
Prognosis.

The bad:
The haul to / from the car park (obviously can't be helped, but it doesn't get any easier).
No toilets or water pipe in the quiet site.
Not enough check-in gates at the arrival point.
My mate's car getting broken into.
Ghost. (Don't believe the hype kids).
Battle Beast.
Wintersun.
Nightwish announcement. (Can't please everyone I suppose).
Being badly prepared for the nocturnal freeze in my tent.

The Ugly:
Me!
Monday rain.

Alexmetalstock666
Lowly Peon

Postby Alexmetalstock666 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:20 am

The good:

Dry weather, really keeps morale high!
Quiet camping, slept well mostly
Relatively cheap beer and a nice lager on sale for once
Well maintained toilets etc
Kreator
Raised by Owls
ONI
Testament
Amon Amarth
Pitted for the first time in 10 years for Hatebreed!
Gojira for next year
The amount of families this year with kids that all seemed to be enjoying themselves, especially the "dad of the day" who had his son on his shoulders in the hate breed pit for the entire set!
The general atmosphere, possibly due to the decent weather, but nevertheless, a thoroughly enjoyable weekend on most accounts!

The Bad:

Skindreds music, I completely get why they were booked as they do grab an audience and party them hard but the music is terrible.
A few clashes of same or similar genres, especially on the friday.
Ghost.
Walking back through midgard at night is like walking through a lunatic asylum, yes people like to get drunk as do I, but I can't see why they must act like animals whilst doing it, just seems to be a competition to outdo the next drunk twat by doing or saying something stupid!
Attention seekers, free hugs similar on a t-shirt is not a funny thing and it never was, get some social skills so you don't have to use stupid t-shirts to start conversations. Dressing up as Corey Taylor and standing by a walkway posing and pretending to be all freaked out is not cool, its just fucking sad!
Piss-mud
The change of drop off location just did not work and caused many people more aggro.

The Ugly:

The queue system on thursday, utter joke, no extra security but just more of a cluster fuck than previous years. People getting off buses just pushing in on the corner, no walkway for folk coming and going after initially getting in. Theres so much space there, use it more wisely please!!
KING 810, shameful booking, utter garbage, barely could even be called "music".
The litter some people leave, its not hard to use a bin liner in your area so the folk cleaning up after we leave can do it little more easily, just can't understand why some fuckers a happy to wallow in their own filth for 4 days.

Niss
Lowly Peon

Postby Niss » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:49 am

This was my 11th Bloodstock (I think? Been to every one except 08 and 14), and probably my last because I feel old as fuck now (I'm 30).

The Good
- Blind Guardian

The Bad
- All the stupid metalcore shit that sounds the same

The Ugly
- Drunk idiots falling asleep in piss-soaked mud. You couldn't pay me a million pounds to embarass myself like that. Have some self respect.

Screaminglordzombie
Lowly Peon

Postby Screaminglordzombie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:52 am

as the 9th BOA passes..

Good:
Staff were great, most of the time toilets etc were pretty clean.could do with having more so theres less huge queues.
Hell, Kreator, Mist, Battle beast

Bad:
Still the Kraken ice cream evades me.
Amon doing the same setlist/stageshow as they did on tour,
What the fuck is ghost? why are they popular? bored out of my mind.
King 810. Chelsea Grin and Brujeria
Lack of variety in bands, i miss the folk metal rather than the choices of Thrash, Death metal, thrash, prog death metal, thrash, or thrash.
Also lack of bands that felt unique - Ie bands who havent just toured within the last 6 months or played BOA several times in the last 5 years.
The increase in Main stage volume that meant you sometimes heard it louder than the new blood sound even when in the new blood tent.

Ugly:
Lack of Gio's pizza, feeling of dread theres no deli kate next year.
The sound on the Sophie stage from around late friday onwards.
Feeling exhausted enough i needed to go sleep instead of seeing wintersun (which was apparently awful soundwise)
Wristband Staff telling a friend she had to remove her wristband that they had put on too tight herself before they would give her another. eventually (and very grudgingly) holding the band so she could fit scissors in after her hand started tingling. thanks for your great help.

red_death
Definitely Not Nu

Postby red_death » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:42 pm

Good:
Aside from the music, the weather, security largely being sensible and friendly, space in the campsites.

Bad:

It did feel busier than previous years without any increase in space (except the new campsite) and facilities.
Queues for toilets got silly at times.
End of Delikate.

Ugly:

King 810