BOA 2017: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: BOA 2017: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Postby Soze » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Niss wrote:This was my 11th Bloodstock (I think? Been to every one except 08 and 14), and probably my last because I feel old as fuck now (I'm 30).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I went and met with around 20-30 people and all of us were way past our 30th birthday! I'll be 47 this time next year and, line up dependent, will be back again.

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Did spend some time in the campsite during the day with friends but we don't actually camp at the festival as we prefer to stay in a hotel so my experience will differ to others:

The Good:
Finally having a decent band to watch on the Thursday night for the first time - Battle Beast were fantastic

Also Blind Guardian, Amon Amarth, Hell, Kreator, Ghost, Skindred, Megadeth. I did watch other bands who were decent enough but these were the highlights for me.

The weather - 3 years in a row - long may it continue!

The comfort of a proper bed, shower and fried breakfast in the hotel

Being able to take drinks in cups into the arena and not being made to take the top off my plastic water bottle (always thought that was a stupid idea - glad it seems to have gone)

More of our friends attending the festival which lead to some fun times hanging out in the campsite during the day

Nightwish announcement for next year!

The choice of food and drink the arena as well as pints of Hobgoblin being under £5

The size of the festival - I did wonder if it being "sold out" this year would lead to it feeling more cramped but thankfully that wasn't the case. Hope it stays the same size though.

Didn't have much interaction with security so can't really comment either way but I didn't see any of them being dicks which is definitely a good point.

The Bad:
Moving the taxi/drop-off point. This made absolutely no sense, particularly since the area that was previously used for this wasn't even being used at all!

The taxi journey on the way back to the hotel on the Sunday night - after agreeing the slightly lower-than-meter price of £20 each way for our journeys, the driver queried this on the way back, saying it should be more. I explained that we had paid £20 each way with no problem on the Friday and on the way in on the Sunday and if he rang the office there should be a record of this. The guy he rang at the office proceeded to lie and claim there was no record of us travelling with them at all that weekend! After insisting that we were only going to pay the price that was agreed (and showing him the text message on my phone which proved we'd traveled in with them earlier that day) he dropped it. Won't be using those bastards again.

Attention-seeking knobs in the campsite who think they're way funnier than they actually are. Really glad I don't have to camp and put up with that (and the noise and everything else that goes with it) all weekend.

Gojira announcement for next year - not saying they don't deserve the slot, I just personally find them very boring.

King 810's inclusion on the line-up & the pathetically childish and laughable bio in the program. Not to mention the deluge of crap metal-core type bands early in the day. Seriously Bloodstock, enough with this shit, yeah?

No more Deli-Kate :-(

The Ugly:
We don't camp overnight so I don't really have much to say on this apart from the piss-mud wrestling I did catch a glimpse of on the way out one night - urgh.

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Niss wrote:This was my 11th Bloodstock (I think? Been to every one except 08 and 14), and probably my last because I feel old as fuck now (I'm 30).

This seemed to be a popular sentiment around my campsite, people hitting 30ish and deciding they're done with festivals. If they actually follow through we're going to be a much smaller group next year.

GTFCMike
Definitely Not Nu

Postby GTFCMike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Slightly different order.

The Bad:

* The lager. Increased price for poorer quality than in past couple of years.
* Thursday queue. Over three hours. Admission tent same size as half a dozen years ago.
* No Mexican food stall :(

The Ugly:

* Men in mankini's.

The Good:

* Everything else.
Come on Bloodstock. You know you want to. Hypocrisy. Sort it, Bloodstock! ;)

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:32 pm

GTFCMike wrote:The Bad:
* No Mexican food stall :(

There were burritos. They're "Mexican".

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:48 pm

robin8585 wrote:

This seemed to be a popular sentiment around my campsite, people hitting 30ish and deciding they're done with festivals. If they actually follow through we're going to be a much smaller group next year.

Haha I must be doing ageing wrong. Im 32 and still part of the Drink from 11am - 5am crowd :P

Should probably preface this saying I had a fucking excellent weekend and am hating being home even though staying another day or 2 might have literally killed me

Good

As always its the usual Bloodstock atmosphere and everyone I met over the weekend was incredibly friendly

Almost every band I saw over the weekend was on form with special mentions going to Amon Amarth, Na Cruithne and Raised By Owls

The toilets were even better than Bloodstocks normal high standards, the ones I used didnt even really smell

The Showsec guys were really friendly and relaxed

Texas smoker - so many delicious meats

The increase variety of drinks at the bar

The weather, Sunday morning was a bit brutally hot but im not gonna complain as it was pretty awesome overall

Bad

10 Showers is not enough to cater for everyone in standard camping and people shouldnt be expected to queue for hours

The queue, this did not personally affect me as I got there early and was in within 40 minutes but I heard some proper horror stories from my mates and others about 3 - 4 hour queues. I understand they want to increase security and check everyones bag but seriously if your gonna do that you need to invest extra resources and either double the size of the gate or open a 2nd one.

The walk from the drop off. Im fine with them moving it for security reasons but that walk is along a muddy slope that is a nightmare with heavy trolleys. Would be nice if they did something to level it out

Increase variety at the bar was excellent but needs better signage to tell us whats on at the time

Ugly

Me - As normal I was a drunken sweaty hairy mess but wouldnt have it any other way

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Good :
Blind Guardian, Hell, Testament (despite the muddy sound) Xentrix, Kreator, Possessed, Battle Beast, Devils Playground, Raised by Owls
DeliKate and her amazing crew. I am going to miss working with you guys so much :(
Arena toilets
Meeting various people
Managing to get at the front of the car park for 3 out of 4 days
Hell Pyros :D and the reaction of the security and press

Bad:
King 810 - what a waste of a slot
Skindred - ok they got the crowd going but I really dislike the fusion stuff
Brujeria - obnoxious political crap
Main Gate Security (Saturday at approx. 11.45am) Came through the entrance barriers with 2 others. All 5 e-fest staff on their phones, not looking up. Even when I shouted "hello - does anyone want to check our wristbands" no response whatsoever. Absolutely disgraceful given the current climate and duly reported to a ShowSec Supervisor

Ugly:
mankini man - especially on Thurs when his balls were hanging out of one side and his dick the other
Kids without ear protectors (especially the ones running around at the front during Kreator) - TBF most kids were well protected but some of the poor sods were obviously there as it was cheaper than a baby sitter and the parents wanted to be there irrespective of anything else

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:35 pm

The good

The bands! Every band I cared about watching was great, with some truly amazing performances in there.
The sound was much better, aside from Ghost which was fucking horrendous.
The weather! Apart from the cold Saturday night, it was perfect.
The food. Good variety as always, I liked the Paella place and I was glad to see the return of the Texas smoker.

The bad

The cold! Called an early end to Saturday night for a lot of our group which was a shame.
Ghost's sound was truly horrendous, we left after three songs.
The prices on the Kraken bar.

The ugly

Very little in all honesty. A few kids without ear protectors (!!), a few mankinis but nothing too bad.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Soze wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I went and met with around 20-30 people and all of us were way past our 30th birthday! I'll be 47 this time next year and, line up dependent, will be back again.

Blimey!

I was with my brother who had just done 6 12 hour* nightshifts in Royal Mail. Up before 9am each morning and still up after 2am. He's 52....

The eldest in our group of friends is well over 60.

*Not including two hours commuting each day.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

nihility00
Powermetal Child

Postby nihility00 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:09 am

Good:

Friends
Company
Bands
Clean camping area

Bad:

The main stage sound suffered sometimes
The box office is hard to get to when it's blocked by the queue
No VIP food in the Serpents Lair
Annoying cunts trying to sell drugs and laughing gas

Ugly:

People groping crowd surfers. This needs to stop. Now.
Don't care.