King 810

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
NE29PHIL
Lowly Peon

King 810

Postby NE29PHIL » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:46 am

I expect to get crucified here, but I enjoyed King 810. Same applies to Brujeria. I had not seen either previously but I'm pleased I had a look. King 810 made more effort with their stage show than some bands with a much higher billing. Some of the reviews on the forum score Hatebreed a 7 or higher, yet give King 810 nowt. For me, Hatebreed have a similar, angry sound, and whilst none of the above will ever be my favourite band, I wonder if the King 810 bashing is a result of trendy 'metal elitist' brain washing.
I suppose we are all different. I don't like any of that symphonic stuff but it always seems to pull a crowd. :rock:
That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it!

Lemmy Kilmister

dvl666
Consort of the Beast

Re: King 810

Postby dvl666 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:15 am

You shouldn't get crucified for having your own opinion, personally I thought it was boring and self indulgent and I genuinely thought the whole set was one song!

But if you liked it then fair enough, I enjoyed Hatebreed but I never listen to them, they bought a good energy to the place and yeah they're shouty but they seem like they're enjoying themselves, maybe I'm too old to "get" king 810 but they were the worst thing I've ever seen, prior to that ironically it was brujeria supporting napalm death earlier on this year.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:56 am

Wasn't a fan of their music when I listened to them after they were announced but decided to give them a watch over the weekend and see how they are live. It was good that they made use of the screens and the footage they used did compliment their performance by evoking an atmosphere of gritty realism. Probably wouldn't go out my way to listen to them now though but that's personal preference.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:04 am

Okay, I'll bite.

Now I'm hardly a Hatebreed fan, in fact I don't think they should even be booked for a Heavy Metal festival, but they can at least play, write songs and have a certain charm.

I also don't think that many people realise that Brujeria is a joke pisstake band made up of famous musicians. They are meant to be rubbish.

King 810 have nothing. Everything about them is fake. One of them was arrested for gun crimes? Bollocks. You can't travel if you are on bail. You can see better bands on an alldayer on a wet weekend in Stoke.

I don't like them, but even Broken Teeth were better. No hype. They just got on with it.

Ever noticed it's only those with extremely poor taste that starts crying "elitist" because other people don't like their favourite band. If you think that disliking shite like King 810 is "elitist" then you need to start listening to Wagner. Then you'll find everything is shite. And no I don't mean the bloke off The X Factor. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:00 am

I hate it when words like 'elitist' get thrown around. King810 were a fucking abomination, I'm very open minded when it comes to music and probably listen to as much non metal stuff as I do metal. But this was just an infantile racket. That said, I think Hatebreed are shit as well but nowhere near the same level as King810.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:30 am

I just didn't understand it. Like there was no riffs and no pattern to the vocals. Just sounded awful. I'm not a fan of Hatebreed but their music is at least catchy and hooks you in. Kinda like a hardcore version of Obituary as in you don't need to know the songs to get into it.

I'm probably just too old for King 810 ha ha.
I see the bad moon arising.

fluffkitten
Leather Rebel

Postby fluffkitten » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:36 am

Gandalf the Red wrote: One of them was arrested for gun crimes? Bollocks. You can't travel if you are on bail.

The guitarist didn't travel which is why the whole thing was done to a backing tape. Not that him being there would really have made thing any better.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:04 pm

fluffkitten wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote: One of them was arrested for gun crimes? Bollocks. You can't travel if you are on bail.

The guitarist didn't travel which is why the whole thing was done to a backing tape. Not that him being there would really have made thing any better.

Ah! I didn't notice. I gave them a few minutes to see what the fuss was and then went back into the tent and carried on watching the other band.

I gave all the "contentious" bands a watch as I don't think it's fair to slag them off otherwise.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

NE29PHIL
Lowly Peon

Postby NE29PHIL » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Ghost wrote:I'm probably just too old for King 810 ha ha.

I'm certainly too old at 49 ha ha! Sorry if the elitist comment caused any offence. I probably chose the wrong phrase there. I believe some of Fear Factory are involved in Brujeria. Possibly they didn't intend to be taken quite so seriously?
King 810 have certainly caused quite an angry response but I thought they were quite entertaining. I certainly preferred them to Ghost (actually I prefer Wagner from X Factor to Ghost).
Each to their own I guess.
That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it!

Lemmy Kilmister

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Brujeria have a fluid line up depending on touring commitments.

However in the past they have contained members of Fear Factory, Faith No More, Napalm Death, Carcass, Dead Kennedys, Pentagram, Criminal, Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, The Haunted, At The Gates, Paradise Lost, etc.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I also don't think that many people realise that Brujeria is a joke pisstake band made up of famous musicians. They are meant to be rubbish.

They do a good job of that then. I heard the start of their set when I was walking behind the sound deck it was one of the worst things I heard all weekend.

Now I'm hardly a Hatebreed fan, in fact I don't think they should even be booked for a Heavy Metal festival, but they can at least play, write songs and have a certain charm.

So because Hatebreed are a Hardcore band they shouldn't play at a Metal festival? I quite enjoy them and think they're Metal enough. They went down really well and have a crossover between the "fight the power" Punk types and the knuckle-dragging angry Metal crowd. They're certainly not the most interesting or creative band in the world but they fill a certain niche - like when I've had a shit day and want to listen to some dumb, angry music.

If you don't think Hatebreed are Metal enough then you must have complained about Within Temptation and Motorhead too. Sharon den Adel has described WT as "symphonic rock" not Metal. Lemmy always said that Motorhead play "Rock and Roll" and felt that they had more in common with Punk than Metal. I guess the definition of what's Metal and what's not is very fluid but I don't think it's fair to completely exclude Hatebreed from the genre.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:01 pm

If you enjoyed what you saw then that's great, that's what is important at the end of the day. I wouldn't worry what others think, it's a forum, everyone here has different tastes.

The biggest problem I found with 810 was that they focused too much on acting tough rather than it being a by product to the music. Hatebreed struck the balance well with the music coming and the aesthetic second whereas 810 had it the other way round.

As for elitism? I think the problem 810 have is that their aesthetic got them alot of attention beyond what their music itself would merit ala Babymetal, Mushroomhead etc whereas compare that to bands that can survive without their aesthetic ala Rammstein, Alice Cooper etc

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Despite what some may claim, I like to think I'm reasonably open minded and decided to give King 810 a chance. But alas, they were terrible. As were Hatebreed and Brujeria. However, there are different degrees of terrible, and there were a few bands over the weekend that were worse than King 810, Brujeria being one. Hatebreed were a better. Should King 810 have been booked for Bloodstock? Personally I think it's very borderline as to whether they're appropriate for a metal festival. Perhaps on a lineup that didn't already have too much hardcore and not enough metal. But there was too much of that nonsense this year, and King 810 just compounded an already poor selection.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:11 pm

I gave them a go - there was one song I thought was quite effective (Write About Us) but on the whole it was a bit shit - they were overwrought to the point of being camp and the music was limp - they brought to mind Machine Head's version of Ice T's 'Colors' and Korn, and weren't helped by having no guitarist - playing along to a tape of a guitar should disqualify you from a metal festival! With all the videos etc, when a band is singing of plight of their town and yet their members have weapons charges and beating someone to a pulp hanging over them, they may well be part of the problem. But to a field of Brits, their tales are little more than 'poverty tourism', as real to the posh lads behind me revelling in wiki statistics of murder rates in Flint as Blind Guardian's tales from Middle Earth.

At least the hype didn't really translate into a big crowd - it was quite sparse

If you don't think Hatebreed are Metal enough then you must have complained about Within Temptation and Motorhead too. Sharon den Adel has described WT as "symphonic rock" not Metal. Lemmy always said that Motorhead play "Rock and Roll" and felt that they had more in common with Punk than Metal. I guess the definition of what's Metal and what's not is very fluid but I don't think it's fair to completely exclude Hatebreed from the genre.

Metal has expanded, and while HB, Skindred are within that, so are a lot of modern bands and there is Download for that - when BOA puts it on, it takes away slots from bands that it used to cover and even being double the duration of what it was, it can't seem to find much space for - judging from stuff I overheard from the liggers in VIP, its like we're heading back to the mid 90s where certain heavy metal is an embarrassment, even at a metal festival.

As for Lemmy, he was a contrary bugger at the best of time - he liked being heavy metal when it suited, but hated being lumped in with Slipknot etc. In the mag that came with Aftershock, he lamented that Phil and Mikkey didn't get due credit due to being heavy metal players, and put umlauts in Wurzels name to be more 'heavy metal'.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:43 pm

Plenty of bands and musicians have called themselves Rock, Rock N Roll, Hard Rock, etc. when they are Heavy Metal bands.

Just a few of the top of my head. Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Deep Purple, Twisted Sister, W.A.S.P., KISS, Saxon, Scorpions, Rainbow, I could go on, but won't.

However Rock N Roll is Chuck Berry, Elvis, Bill Haley, Little Richard and even Sir Cliff.

Rock is U2, Coldplay, The Beatles, Rod Stewart, etc.

But listening to some people, anything less than Cannibal Corpse is not Heavy Metal and it didn't exist before the late 1980s.

But would I complain about Motorhead playing? No I didn't.
Would I complain about Within Temptation playing? Not really. Apart from it being a waste of a decent slot.

And before anyone says I'm narrow minded I'm currently listening to Merle Haggard. :lol: