King 810

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
User avatar
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1231
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Reading

Re: King 810

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:22 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:But listening to some people, anything less than Cannibal Corpse is not Heavy Metal and it didn't exist before the late 1980s.

But would I complain about Motorhead playing? No I didn't.
Would I complain about Within Temptation playing? Not really. Apart from it being a waste of a decent slot.

Yes, there are people who only like Metal at its heaviest and most brutal. The kind of people who do the community no favours at all.

I think you're understating the importance of the headlining slot. It's more than just a "decent" slot. :P I think it's a shame you thought Within Temptation were a waste though, considering how important they have been in European Metal (or not-Metal) for the last 15 years and that they were one of the bands who played at Bloodstock in the early days. But then I'd say that Motorhead were a waste of a slot. :P

User avatar
NE29PHIL
Lowly Peon
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: King 810

Postby NE29PHIL » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:46 am

The Metal / Non-Metal argument is a complex one. Would the Exploited or Discharge merit a main stage appearance at Bloodstock? For my money, they aren't significantly different to the like of Napalm Death.
That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it!

Lemmy Kilmister

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2207
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: King 810

Postby Skippy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:46 pm

My issue with King 810 isn't down to the music. A lot of it is chest beating nonsense, but they do actually have some good songs (mostly the more chilled out ones). The objection I have to them is how bloody serious they are about their hardman image, and their glorifying of gun crime while simultaneously complaining about how hard they had it in Flynt.

Having said that, at Bloodstock they were irredeemably bad. They just sounded messy, slow but not in a good way, and just like a load of chest-beating nonsense. Maybe it was an off day, maybe it was the lack of guitarist and all the shit that went on with him affecting the band. Either way, they just sounded poor to me.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1231
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Reading

Re: King 810

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Skippy wrote:The objection I have to them is how bloody serious they are about their hardman image, and their glorifying of gun crime while simultaneously complaining about how hard they had it in Flynt.

So what are your thoughts on Down headlining a few years ago with white supremacist Phil Anselmo? Or Emperor headlining with their ties to homophobia and frontman who once promoted church burnings? Both are hardly befitting a festival which has such a close relationship to the Sophie Lancaster foundation and its message to "Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere" - not something that Phil Anselmo and Ihsahn subscribe to.

User avatar
florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:13 pm
Location: South-East London

Re: King 810

Postby florencethemachine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
Skippy wrote:The objection I have to them is how bloody serious they are about their hardman image, and their glorifying of gun crime while simultaneously complaining about how hard they had it in Flynt.

So what are your thoughts on Down headlining a few years ago with white supremacist Phil Anselmo? Or Emperor headlining with their ties to homophobia and frontman who once promoted church burnings? Both are hardly befitting a festival which has such a close relationship to the Sophie Lancaster foundation and its message to "Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere" - not something that Phil Anselmo and Ihsahn subscribe to.


That is a can of worms you do not want to open!! When Emperor headlined there was a thread about that very issue that was so heated it got locked. To be fair, Phil's very public white power incident was after Down headlined and I'm not going to get into the Faust debate again.

In regards to King 810, I think a lot of people's backs were put up by the flagrant brown nosing and special treatment they received purely because Vicky is a massive fan of the band. That would have been justified had they went down a storm and put on a good show but IMHO they failed on all fronts. The music is bland, uninspired and the band come off as a horrible by-product of Nu-Metal and Metalcore. Metal Hammer have also been riding their cocks for a while so they have been thrust into the upper echelon of the metal circles before they have had a chance to develop as an actual band.

Saying that, I am sure some people did enjoy them and you shouldn't let the derision of others put you off checking out a band. I gave them a shot but quickly decided they weren't for me.
Image

User avatar
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1231
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Reading

Re: King 810

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:29 am

florencethemachine wrote:That is a can of worms you do not want to open!! When Emperor headlined there was a thread about that very issue that was so heated it got locked.

Fair enough. I have no intention of causing a fight. :P I'm new, despite the fact I signed up a long time ago! Without getting into the specifics of each case though, I think that if we are going to criticize King 810 for their guns obsession then we need to hold the headliners to the same standards. Just because certain bands/people are legends in Metal doesn't give them a free pass. I also think the festival organizers need to be asked about some of the acts who have played recently and if they fit the ethos of the festival and Sophie Lancaster foundation.

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: King 810

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:50 am

My problem with King 810 and the guns and violence issue is not that they are into guns or violence, but the fact they are fakes and spouting that nonsense to kids.

Is it controversial, no. The rappers have been doing the same shit for thirty odd years. It's old hat.

Oh they are from Flint, Michigan. Big deal. I've lived in Speke, Kirkby and Toxteth. If you acted like they do around those places then they wouldn't last five minutes. You can tell that half the Ketheads by mine are packing a piece. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: King 810

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:01 am

Black Wizard wrote: I also think the festival organizers need to be asked about some of the acts who have played recently and if they fit the ethos of the festival and Sophie Lancaster foundation.


We asked at the time for some clarification about whether booking a "controversial" band would be impeded by the links to the Sophie organisation. They never replied.

If it was the fact that an act wasn't getting booked due to objections from a charity then I would rather ditch the charity. But I don't think it has been an issue.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

red_death
Definitely Not Nu
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: King 810

Postby red_death » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:33 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:If it was the fact that an act wasn't getting booked due to objections from a charity then I would rather ditch the charity. But I don't think it has been an issue.


Seriously??? It isn't just any charity, but one that the second stage is named after. If an act can't behave with common human decency and respect for all then what does that say about them?

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: King 810

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:03 pm

red_death wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:If it was the fact that an act wasn't getting booked due to objections from a charity then I would rather ditch the charity. But I don't think it has been an issue.


Seriously??? It isn't just any charity, but one that the second stage is named after. If an act can't behave with common human decency and respect for all then what does that say about them?


Oh God! The SJW are starting now. Twisting everything you say as normal. :rolleyes:

It's a charity no matter what you call it. It raises money for a cause. Not all of us agree with every cause.

But I mean charity in general. Many years ago the festival charity was Born Free. If it was named the Born Free stage then should we not let someone who supports hunting play? Or a band like TYR who have endured protests because they are Icelandic?

If it came to a charity or even sponsor demanding a band doesn't play then they should be ditched. Not the band.

Politics should be left at the door. Too many arseholes were being political this year. I go to a festival for Heavy Metal and beer, not politics. Fuck off to Glastonbury if you want politics.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8780
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: King 810

Postby Tet » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:It's a charity no matter what you call it. It raises money for a cause. Not all of us agree with every cause.

FWIW, I'm one of those that doesn't support the Sophie Lancaster Foundation or their aims.
Gandalf the Red wrote:If it came to a charity or even sponsor demanding a band doesn't play then they should be ditched. Not the band.

Politics should be left at the door. Too many arseholes were being political this year. I go to a festival for Heavy Metal and beer, not politics. Fuck off to Glastonbury if you want politics.

100% agreed.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:41 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: King 810

Postby metalicbear » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:10 pm

I don't care about the politics surrounding the band. I care whether they're good or not and they're shite. What bothers me is that the organisers have booked a band which doesn't fit in at BOA, simply because they're fans of the band. It's also very apparent that the crowd was much different this year than last. I've seen this happen at a number of festivals and it won't be long until BOA is a completely alien festival to what it started out as. Saying that, we actually heard a tech guy mention that Chase & Status would be good for the festival in the future.

User avatar
NE29PHIL
Lowly Peon
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: King 810

Postby NE29PHIL » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:50 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Politics should be left at the door. Too many arseholes were being political this year. I go to a festival for Heavy Metal and beer, not politics. Fuck off to Glastonbury if you want politics.


Got to agree GDR! The Trump references became a bit tedious.
Fortunately none of our current crop of greedy, spineless, self-serving, egotistical politicians felt brave enough to venture into the Bloodstock arena. The day a politician tries to preach to me at Bloodstock will be the day I hang up my tent.
That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it!

Lemmy Kilmister

User avatar
bloodblind
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 am

Re: King 810

Postby bloodblind » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Politics should be left at the door. Too many arseholes were being political this year. I go to a festival for Heavy Metal and beer, not politics. Fuck off to Glastonbury if you want politics


:yes:

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: King 810

Postby houston4044 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:51 am

Image