King 810

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: King 810

Postby Soze » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:46 pm

I actually like politics in music but I can appreciate not everyone does. I prefer a band who sing about the real world and events that affect them rather than Satan, Dragons and Vikings. Not that I'm averse to a bit of that as well mind! I grew up in the 80s when a lot of my favourite bands were political, Sacred Reich, Napalm Death, DRI, Nuclear Assault, Dead Kennedys, The Levellers, Carter USM, Kreator, Megadeth etc.

But obviously it becomes a problem when a band sing about politics you disagree with. I've cringed at a few of Mustaine's lyrics over the years but it's never put me off listening to Megadeth. And at a festival, with a diverse crowd, politics is best left alone. It was noticeable that most political references were made about Trump, a seemingly easy target who is broadly loathed/mocked by the majority of us in the UK. I doubt anyone would have had the balls to stand up and argue for or against Brexit for example, as that would have been far more divisive, and, despite me always considering a metal crowd as being broadly to the left, I can't imagine the Bloodstock audience having the same love affair with Corbyn as Glastonbury did.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:21 pm

There was a group in Valhalla that were singing pro Corbyn and anti Tory songs all night....

With politics in music. Lyrics fine. You can ignore lyrics pretty easily. I quite like Gore Grind, I don't agree with killing people and cutting up bodies. Preaching from the stage not so much. Unless it's at a political event or a band that you would expect such things. If I saw Billy Bragg and he didn't have a political rant then that would be disappointing, even though I probably wouldn't agree with him.

And don't assume that everyone in the crowd agrees with your politics. ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

NE29PHIL
Lowly Peon

Postby NE29PHIL » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:20 pm

That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it!

Lemmy Kilmister

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 pm

Soze wrote:I actually like politics in music but I can appreciate not everyone does. I prefer a band who sing about the real world and events that affect them rather than Satan, Dragons and Vikings. Not that I'm averse to a bit of that as well mind! I grew up in the 80s when a lot of my favourite bands were political, Sacred Reich, Napalm Death, DRI, Nuclear Assault, Dead Kennedys, The Levellers, Carter USM, Kreator, Megadeth etc.

It was noticeable that most political references were made about Trump, a seemingly easy target who is broadly loathed/mocked by the majority of us in the UK. I doubt anyone would have had the balls to stand up and argue for or against Brexit for example, as that would have been far more divisive

Totally agree with you, most bands I like have political messages in the lyrics which I like, it gives the listener the choice of how much they want to get involved in the message (either treat it like you would any other song or look at the message it tries to convey). Aside from an introduction to a song I'm not a big fan of posturing during a gig, I want to hear music not a sermon. Beyond something like "This song is about X, which we do/don't like" it detracts from what I'm there for, music.

I imagine one of the biggest reasons why Trump and not Brexit was spoke about was the fact most bands at BOA were American so Trump is the bigger issue for them, and most British bands didn't have long sets so probably wanted to utilize their time to squeeze in as much material as popular. Skindred did make a quick reference to it but it was more along the lines of "we're all here to party lets leave all that stuff at the door".

I also imagine Mustaine didn't mention anything about it given his history of sloganeering in UK/Irish politics :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:52 pm

The best political slogan I heard was Blaakyum. It was along the lines of " I wish Trump would build us a wall. " :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

red_death
Definitely Not Nu

Postby red_death » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
red_death wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:If it was the fact that an act wasn't getting booked due to objections from a charity then I would rather ditch the charity. But I don't think it has been an issue.

Seriously??? It isn't just any charity, but one that the second stage is named after. If an act can't behave with common human decency and respect for all then what does that say about them?

Oh God! The SJW are starting now. Twisting everything you say as normal. :rolleyes:

Politics should be left at the door. Too many arseholes were being political this year. I go to a festival for Heavy Metal and beer, not politics. Fuck off to Glastonbury if you want politics.

Pot meet kettle. It is absolutely sod all to do with politics (or anything to do with being PC etc) and all to do with whether we welcome people with abhorrent pasts or views. If you can't see the difference then that is your problem not mine.

NE29PHIL
Lowly Peon

Postby NE29PHIL » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:43 pm

The guy from Havok had it right as well.
"Politics is like a circle... You go too far to the left, or too far to the right, and you get the same a**hole telling you what to do".
That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it!

Lemmy Kilmister

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:43 pm

NE29PHIL wrote:The guy from Havok had it right as well.
"Politics is like a circle... You go too far to the left, or too far to the right, and you get the same a**hole telling you what to do".

I only watched a bit of Havok - well actually heard more than watched, as I was sitting down towards the back - but in the 10 minutes or so between every song I heard, we seemed to get a little "politics for beginners" lesson like this. I did find this annoying and patronising tbh; I have my own views on politics - I read books about politics, watch the news and read the papers, but I certainly don't watch thrash bands at metal festivals expecting a politics lesson.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:28 pm

red_death wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
red_death wrote:
Seriously??? It isn't just any charity, but one that the second stage is named after. If an act can't behave with common human decency and respect for all then what does that say about them?

Oh God! The SJW are starting now. Twisting everything you say as normal. :rolleyes:

Politics should be left at the door. Too many arseholes were being political this year. I go to a festival for Heavy Metal and beer, not politics. Fuck off to Glastonbury if you want politics.

Pot meet kettle. It is absolutely sod all to do with politics (or anything to do with being PC etc) and all to do with whether we welcome people with abhorrent pasts or views. If you can't see the difference then that is your problem not mine.

Editing a post so that it says something different than what I actually posted. Totally disregarding why I believe the Sophie Lancaster charity shouldn't have any say in the matter when it comes to bands playing. :rolleyes:

So a band shouldn't play because you don't like their views? Who gives you or anyone else the right to say that someone isn't welcome?

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Wacken actually banned bands from talking politics this year.

It screwed up Phil Rind, Barney and Bob Geldof's between songs waffle, but as the organisers said, "we are a multi-national MUSIC festival. People will hold political different views, but they all love metal"

It worked a treat.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:44 pm

Bob Geldof was at Wacken?

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Bob Geldof was at Wacken?

Yep, The Rats played a set on the Wednesday. He was a twat as usual; but the band were tight. He acts like he's Mick Jagger on stage these days, but with more ego and less talent :lol:

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 pm

red_death wrote:Pot meet kettle. It is absolutely sod all to do with politics (or anything to do with being PC etc) and all to do with whether we welcome people with abhorrent pasts or views. If you can't see the difference then that is your problem not mine.

You can separate the art from the artist. And what is "abhorrent" to you, is not to someone else. I personally wouldn't support Burzum, for example, but I wouldn't get a stick up my arse if they played. I would just be elsewhere, like an adult who doesn't expect the world to be catered for them.
Last edited by VizardAmata on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Bob Geldof was at Wacken?

David Hasselhoff was at Novarock, I better put Tony Christie in my Bingo picks :lol:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37 am

ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:He acts like he's Mick Jagger on stage these days, but with more ego and less talent :lol:

I couldn't have put it better myself! If he'd just played the music, it would have been OK, but his strutting around just didn't work for me.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...