Next announcement

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Next announcement

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:36 pm

They are just a few examples. I was going to put the utter shite that is Number Of The Bus and Run To The Hills. But for some strange reason people actually like them. :ugh:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

mathewxentrix88
Leather Rebel

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:38 pm

So as not to derail the thread (for a change).I reckon we will get an announcement next week when the Hellfest/Graspop/Download fuss dies down a bit.I reckon it's gonna be finally a power metal band-but a repeat one.The lack of a British date on their forthcoming tour is screaming out the name "Hammerfall".I reckon we could get both Dragonforce and Epica announced after their Forum gig at the beginning of December too.They can't keep ignoring the power metal bands surely?!(I know Epica aren't power metal-i'm speaking generally).

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:14 pm

the anticipation is killing me, who's going to be next!??!?!

Helloween, Gloryhammer, Deicide!??!?!

Bring it on

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Gandalf is usually right. Which is what shocks me to see him be so incredibly wrong today*.
Maiden are a bazillion times better than Priest. The last great Maiden album was BNW and all those that have followed have been good to great. The last great Priest album was in 1990, none of the five that followed are up to much...and the previous great album before that was 1984. Most of their best material comes from the seventies.

*of course taste is entirely subjective and everyone is entitled to their own opinions**.

** apart from batshit crazy ones like Priest being better than Maiden of course :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Iron Maiden have been far too Prog Rock influenced for me in recent years. If I want to listen to 7 minute plus plodders then I can think of much more interesting bands.

I'll also say that Iron Maiden were far from being the best NWOBHM band as well. :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:When was the last decent Iron Maiden album? You're going back to the days of SSOASS at least. An album that was chock a block with plodding songs, keyboards and guitar synths. Even before that all the Iron Maiden albums have a few "dodgy" songs. Invaders, Gangland, Sea Of Madness, Alexander The Great, etc.

2006, A Matter of Life and Death.

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:07 pm

houston4044 wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:When was the last decent Iron Maiden album? You're going back to the days of SSOASS at least. An album that was chock a block with plodding songs, keyboards and guitar synths. Even before that all the Iron Maiden albums have a few "dodgy" songs. Invaders, Gangland, Sea Of Madness, Alexander The Great, etc.

2006, A Matter of Life and Death.

Terrible album. There's about 2 good songs it and the rest is tedious, overlong pish that drones on for ever and a day.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:12 pm

^ Ironically sets out my feelings towards Final Frontier

I think ....life and death is their strongest post 80's next to FoTD, songs maybe long but catchy, the riffs seem to be there for a reason not crammed in, enjoyable throughout and heavy

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:19 pm

It might've been ironic if I thought Final Frontier was any good but I think most of that's pretty crap too.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:32 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Angel Of Retribution is far better than anything Iron Maiden have released since Di'Anno left.

My feelings on the later Maiden albums are fairly well known. But even I wouldn't take things that far! '80s Maiden is a back catalogue to rank up there with the very best any band in the world can offer. I would say that "Angel of retribution" is a better album than anything Maiden have done since Bruce rejoined (as for that matter is "Redeemer of souls" - we'll gloss over "Nostradamus"). I'll also say that "Virtual XI" was the last Maiden album I really enjoyed. And that Priest are a far better live experience than Maiden these days (although I admit that Maiden were unexpectedly good at The O2 Arena last year).
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:05 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
mathewxentrix88 wrote:Plus the fact that Maiden's reunion album "Brave New World" is miles better than anything Priest have done since Halford came back.

Angel Of Retribution is far better than anything Iron Maiden have released since Di'Anno left.

Wow I actually completely agree with you!

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:12 am

mathewxentrix88 wrote:So as not to derail the thread (for a change).I reckon we will get an announcement next week when the Hellfest/Graspop/Download fuss dies down a bit.I reckon it's gonna be finally a power metal band-but a repeat one.The lack of a British date on their forthcoming tour is screaming out the name "Hammerfall".I reckon we could get both Dragonforce and Epica announced after their Forum gig at the beginning of December too.They can't keep ignoring the power metal bands surely?!(I know Epica aren't power metal-i'm speaking generally).

Yeah I reckon we will get Hammer Fall, power metal is more than welcome, just please no Dragon Farce!

Baldy77 wrote:the anticipation is killing me, who's going to be next!??!?!

Helloween, Gloryhammer, Deicide!??!?!

Bring it on

Yes bring that on! Would be an ace announcement!

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:33 am

Incredible how much variation in opinion Maiden bring up in the more dedicated community of metal fans. For my two cents i've yet to not enjoy a Maiden album really.

That being said Priest have two or three albums i love every song off of equally (most notably Painkiller and Screaming for Vengeance) Maiden however happen to do consistency very well and that tends to mean maybe they release an album of half solid songs and half filler songs every time and down the years they can basically road test the songs live and come to the conclusion...that people basically just want the 80's shit.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:17 am

cthulhu wrote:Incredible how much variation in opinion Maiden bring up in the more dedicated community of metal fans. For my two cents i've yet to not enjoy a Maiden album really.

That being said Priest have two or three albums i love every song off of equally (most notably Painkiller and Screaming for Vengeance) Maiden however happen to do consistency very well and that tends to mean maybe they release an album of half solid songs and half filler songs every time and down the years they can basically road test the songs live and come to the conclusion...that people basically just want the 80's shit.

I never really got into Iron Maiden, yes Heresy I know, but can't force myself into it. However turns out I had only really heard stuff from the Dickinson era, and never really liked it, but having fairly recently discovered the Paul Di'Anno stuff I was amazed at how much better it was! I always prefered Judas Priest too them though.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:09 pm

On Maiden vs Priest - I've enjoyed both live immensely; both put in a lot of effort.

As for Maiden's post-Bruce's return... I loved Brave New World and Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death was fine (but a bit drab in a way), and the Final Frontier (aside from 2 or 3 tracks at the end) was shockingly poor. If they'd just released When the Wild Blows as an EP, along with The Talisman and The Man Who Would Be King, I would have thought much more highly of it.

As for some power metal, we know that both HammerFall and Powerwolf are touring the festival circuit, so maybe we get those two on the RJD stage, plus a couple of lesser known acts on the Sophie stage?