Next announcement

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Next announcement

Postby cthulhu » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:29 pm

houston4044 wrote:Does anyone know the tickets sales from last year? I'm just wondering how well this year is doing and whether this change of direction is actually paying off for BOA.

If memory serves they were a few hundred lower last year than the year before but Gandalf or Tet are likely to know more about that than me.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:26 am

So the next announcement is Tuesday, please let it be BLS, please let it be BLS.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:22 am

JB65 wrote:So the next announcement is Tuesday, please let it be BLS, please let it be BLS.

Please let it not be.

Actually, at this stage I'm just hoping that it's not JUST them. The Metal Hammer advert only had them on, and that would be a pretty shitty announcement. Lets spice it up with some power metal as well!
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:34 am

Skippy wrote:
JB65 wrote:So the next announcement is Tuesday, please let it be BLS, please let it be BLS.

Please let it not be.

Actually, at this stage I'm just hoping that it's not JUST them. The Metal Hammer advert only had them on, and that would be a pretty shitty announcement. Lets spice it up with some power metal as well!

Power Metal? I don't think the organisers want any of that, think they would rather have more Download bands! You would of thought this was Bloodstock or something!

StonerWizzard
Definitely Not Nu

Postby StonerWizzard » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:15 am

Praying for Blind Guardian. As I have for the past few years. But this time its possible as its the right slot for them, their only UK tour date has been announced long enough now for BOA to not compromise ticket sales. And their new album is out today.
The stars have aligned on this day, let's hope they don't fuck it up like they have every other headliner/sub so far this year.
actual hipster emo scum that still thinks his views on metal are worth commenting. deafheaven, baroness, blind guardian, kvelertak and converge pls

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:06 am

Please let it be? I think it's pretty certain it's going to be. Unfortunately.

I hope they announce someone who's actually good as well, otherwise I'm seriously thinking about not going for the first time since 2002.

mathewxentrix88
Leather Rebel

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:19 am

Skippy wrote:

Please let it not be.

I'm 100% with you there mate.We all know BLS are gonna be announced so that's ANOTHER shit band for the Sunday-so give us someone else to temper the blow!.The Sophie stage announcements are gonna be the only way to save the day!

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:21 am

StonerWizzard wrote:Praying for Blind Guardian. As I have for the past few years. But this time its possible as its the right slot for them, their only UK tour date has been announced long enough now for BOA to not compromise ticket sales. And their new album is out today.
The stars have aligned on this day, let's hope they don't fuck it up like they have every other headliner/sub so far this year.

No chance. The slot is going to BLS.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:00 pm

cthulhu wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Does anyone know the tickets sales from last year? I'm just wondering how well this year is doing and whether this change of direction is actually paying off for BOA.

If memory serves they were a few hundred lower last year than the year before but Gandalf or Tet are likely to know more about that than me.

Really? I thought last year would have done quite well, but that just shows my poor judgement :lol:

Skippy wrote:

Please let it not be.

They've probably had to push the announcement forward, what now that everyone basically knows....

They might throw in a few bands that weren't in the advert, push their announcement forward as well to at least make this announcement exciting rather than "hey this brand new band you didn't know is playing! and if you've been paying attention, yes, we really did book them So hopefully one or two more sophie bands please :)

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:59 pm

BStobart wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:Sunday is looking so shit for me at the moment. Praying for decent Sophie bands.

Join the club :'(
#SackVicky?

Friday and Saturday aren't doing much for me either, BLS in the last special guest slot is the last nail in the coffin for me. Got a mate whos a massive BLS fan so shouldn't have any problems unloading my ticket.

Bloodstock, what the fuck happened to you?
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:09 pm

VizardAmata wrote:
BStobart wrote:#SackVicky?

Haha maybe just #booksomedecentbandsffs

The thing is, "decent bands" is a subjective term. For me, there has been a distinct lack thereof at recent Bloodstocks. But Vicky is clearly doing something right because there are 14,000+ people in a field each year that seem to enjoy the festival and probably do think the lineup is full of decent bands. I've actually disagreed with very few of her bookings taken in isolation. It's hard to point to a specific band and say "they shouldn't be playing Bloodstock". But it's fair to say that taken as a whole, I think that recent lineups have lacked variety and for my tastes have sucked.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:37 pm

bloodfiend wrote:

Please let it be? I think it's pretty certain it's going to be. Unfortunately.

I hope they announce someone who's actually good as well, otherwise I'm seriously thinking about not going for the first time since 2002.

I'm pretty certain it is too going on the metalhammer ad, more of a piss take post than a real plea. The few bits of BLS I've heard are mediocre.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:18 pm

Tet wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:
BStobart wrote:#SackVicky?

Haha maybe just #booksomedecentbandsffs

The thing is, "decent bands" is a subjective term. For me, there has been a distinct lack thereof at recent Bloodstocks. But Vicky is clearly doing something right because there are 14,000+ people in a field each year that seem to enjoy the festival and probably do think the lineup is full of decent bands. I've actually disagreed with very few of her bookings taken in isolation. It's hard to point to a specific band and say "they shouldn't be playing Bloodstock". But it's fair to say that taken as a whole, I think that recent lineups have lacked variety and for my tastes have sucked.

True, but I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Overall I think the lineup is pretty solid, despite shit headliners on all three days. There are some bands booked in recent years that you could argue are "questionable", such as say Hatebreed, but overall BOA is still a solid festival.

I don't see this massive shift that others are seeing, but I only found out about the festival in 2007, so I'm not exactly in the best position to comment. If a few more "mainstream" bands are what it takes to keep this festival alive, have at it. As long it doesn't turn into a mini Download, I don't really care. I'd rather a festival that was successful and continues, than one that has to shut down because they can't shift enough tickets.

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:55 pm

StonerWizzard wrote:Praying for Blind Guardian. As I have for the past few years. But this time its possible as its the right slot for them, their only UK tour date has been announced long enough now for BOA to not compromise ticket sales. And their new album is out today.

Nope. I've spent a long time thinking about this from many angles and I've tried really, really hard but I still don't see how booking a terrible band as a sub-headliner/special guest equates to "not fucking things up" :?

:P :lol:

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:06 am

VizardAmata wrote:True, but I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Overall I think the lineup is pretty solid, despite shit headliners on all three days. There are some bands booked in recent years that you could argue are "questionable", such as say Hatebreed, but overall BOA is still a solid festival.

I don't see this massive shift that others are seeing, but I only found out about the festival in 2007, so I'm not exactly in the best position to comment. If a few more "mainstream" bands are what it takes to keep this festival alive, have at it. As long it doesn't turn into a mini Download, I don't really care. I'd rather a festival that was successful and continues, than one that has to shut down because they can't shift enough tickets.

It's not as sudden as people make out but it's certainly happening, every year a few more of the bands Download typically prioritise show up, there has ALWAYS been bands who have and do perform at both festivals because Download books 180 or so bands every year and there's always a bunch of metal bands on the 2nd - 3rd stages but i'm talking about the bands that Download gives its mainstage slots to.

I do sometimes worry that BoA might become a mini download before long but i don't imagine it's likely to come to that really. The big thing i find that differentiates between the two these days is that Download are horrendous for repeat bookings whilst Bloodstock tend to be a bit better for it (although worse than usual lately).

Starting to consider going to a more extreme festival next year if the current trend sticks around, I'd miss the variety but at least I'd enjoy a higher ratio of bands.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn