Next announcement

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Next announcement

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Killing_time wrote:Yeah you are right guys there's no point Black/Death/Power/Doom Metal bands playing Bloodstock i mean there's tons of festivals out there so i think all of that should stay at festivals like Wacken and Hellfest.

Doom's fine.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:16 pm

Killing_time wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Potato-Jim wrote:Because people who like stoner crap also like other things and like variety.

See. You admit it's crap. :P

I've got a theory that most people who are asking for Stoner are just kids trying to be radical and smoke weed. Like nobody else has ever done that before. :rolleyes:

Your theory is fucking stupid as there's absolutely no logic behind it. I suggest you stop trying to use your brain as it's obviously not functioning properly so you should go and see a Neurologist.

What the fuck are you on about?

I think it's you that need to see a Neurologist as most of your posts contradict each other and seem to me the signs of Schizophrenia. Probably caused by all that weed.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:
Killing_time wrote:Hope we get more Doom/Stoner Metal next year in fact i think they should rename the Sophie stage to The Doom Tent :D

No

I don't know why people keep asking for Stoner crap when there are already festivals entirely dedicated to it. Go to one of them instead.

So? Why does that mean we can't have a couple of stoner bands playing? Not asking for Stoner/Doom fest, just a couple would be nice.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:49 pm

I'm just pissed off with all the smoke. There was far too much of it, with smokers thinking they can smoke anywhere they want. It definitely needs sniper dogs next year.

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Potato-Jim wrote:Because people who like stoner crap also like other things and like variety.

I've got a theory that most people who are asking for Stoner are just kids trying to be radical and smoke weed. Like nobody else has ever done that before. :rolleyes:

I find an awful lot of it very dull and formulaic, yes, but some of the stuff floats my goat.

My initial point still stands, even though I agree with you about the "kids trying to be radical". :lol:

cthulhu

Postby cthulhu » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:20 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:
Killing_time wrote:Hope we get more Doom/Stoner Metal next year in fact i think they should rename the Sophie stage to The Doom Tent :D

No

I don't know why people keep asking for Stoner crap when there are already festivals entirely dedicated to it. Go to one of them instead.

Kinda a strange statement Gandalf given that there are several festivals in the UK for other sub-genres too but you'd never expect to not see death or black metal simply because Damnation or Incineration fest are happening for instance.

Gandalf the Red wrote:

I don't smoke weed (anymore) i still enjoy the shit out of it.

I don't think we should have an entire stage for it, I'm already looking to go to Desertfest so why bother, but 4 or 5 good stoner bands across all 4 stages each year is not an outrageous request whatsoever. Bloodstock's a metal festival and it's a valid sub-genre.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

cthulhu

Postby cthulhu » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:22 pm

my last post struck me as a bit single minded. I don't mean just because i'm considering to do desertfest boa shouldn't have a stage for it but rather if you want a full stage of it you should go to that, like i intend to do for THAT weekend of the year.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Aye. That was what I was trying to say before getting sidetracked.

I don't want any stages devoted to one type of music unless it was the entire festival being devoted to more traditional Heavy Metal like it used to be.

But Bloodstock as a festival was never really about Stoner. It was at least 6 years down the line when the first band of that ilk played* - Gorilla Monsoon. And I seem to recall nobody watched them. :lol:

*I've never really considered that Orange Goblin are Stoner. Just a Rock/Metal band.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Agree with OG - they left the stoner tag a while back - prob on the Coup De Grace album (ironically produced and featuring members of Kyuss) and became a heavy rock with no really need for any sub-tag for them.

The stoner tag gets applied to lots of things, including a lot of trad 70s style rock bands that aren't really that stoner-ish in the way the bands that appeared in Kyuss' wake were, some would be suitable, some not. Bands like Sasquatch or Roadsaw are more Skynyrd meets Motorhead heads-down rock, which would be suitable, the more jammy, psyche bands like Earthless or Monkey 3 wouldn't. Its a bit like Doom, bands get that tag and seems ok to be at a metal fest cos they in the same genre as Candlemass and Cathedral, but the like of Purson and Blood Ceremony are not metal bands.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

PhilMow
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby PhilMow » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:49 pm

To go back to an earlier point, I would love more stoner at Blodostock.

I'm 30 and I don't smoke weed.

Very much this
Festivals
MetallicA's Big Day Out 99
Ozzfest 01
Download 07
Rock Am Ring 08
Bloodstock 09,10,11,12,13,14,15
Hammerfest 13, 14, 15
Temples 14

Damnation 15[/size]

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:03 pm

One or two stoner bands I wouldn't mind, but I thought it was (reasonably) well represented this year, at least on the lower stages. More doom would be lovely.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

PhilMow
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby PhilMow » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:06 pm

Yeah, more doom before we have more stoner if I'm being honest.
Festivals
MetallicA's Big Day Out 99
Ozzfest 01
Download 07
Rock Am Ring 08
Bloodstock 09,10,11,12,13,14,15
Hammerfest 13, 14, 15
Temples 14

Damnation 15[/size]

cthulhu

Postby cthulhu » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Skippy wrote:One or two stoner bands I wouldn't mind, but I thought it was (reasonably) well represented this year, at least on the lower stages. More doom would be lovely.

This year was good for it other than Graveyard who are vaguely stonerish no bands were on mainstage for that genre but i mean other than maybe Electric Wizard or perhaps even Sleep (and even then i doubt it) who else would realistically be put on mainstage?

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:32 am

cthulhu wrote:
Skippy wrote:One or two stoner bands I wouldn't mind, but I thought it was (reasonably) well represented this year, at least on the lower stages. More doom would be lovely.

This year was good for it other than Graveyard who are vaguely stonerish no bands were on mainstage for that genre but i mean other than maybe Electric Wizard or perhaps even Sleep (and even then i doubt it) who else would realistically be put on mainstage?

What would you class Down as?

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:57 pm

i0th wrote:
houston4044 wrote:What would you class Down as?

Dire

:lol: