Bloodstock Arms

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
User avatar
MetalBeast
Denim Demon
Posts: 8928
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:44 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby MetalBeast » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:30 am

Wasn't that impressed by Green Goblin to be honest. I reckon go for some proper scrumpy, although maybe not a really strong one or they'll be fishing people out of the trent.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

User avatar
Korthkor
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Ghaarenkor (town), Uttorutrothokor (region), Karthon (nation), Ulaan (planet), Mulahai (star system)

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby Korthkor » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:08 pm

MetalBeast wrote:Wasn't that impressed by Green Goblin to be honest. I reckon go for some proper scrumpy, although maybe not a really strong one or they'll be fishing people out of the trent.


Bloodstock needs Weston's Reserve, 8.2%. If everyone had five pints of the before the obligatory Cannibal Corpse circle pit I'm sure we could have a go at making the Bronze Age look timid by comparison. :lol:

Putting lime in our hair and painting ourselves with Woad aside, it would be good to have a nice scrumpy on tap at the Bloodstock arms, much more of a Cider man than an Ale drinker myself and it'd brighten (or blur?) the festival to have a choice in the arena that doesn't involve the almost mandatory drinking of that Somersby stuff, it's so damn' sugary that you'll get diabetes sooner than you get tipsy. Blackthorn maybe? Cheap, no doubt, but less like drinking mildly alcoholic sugar-water.

Though it's not realistic, anything under 6% that Westons make would silence all of my complaints about the absurd prices at the bar.
I looked into the eye of the fish.

BOA 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Hammerfest 12, 13, 14, 15
BEER, BEER, BEERMAGEDDON! 14'

JB65
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Your mum's bum.

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby JB65 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:42 pm

Korthkor wrote:
MetalBeast wrote:Wasn't that impressed by Green Goblin to be honest. I reckon go for some proper scrumpy, although maybe not a really strong one or they'll be fishing people out of the trent.


Bloodstock needs Weston's Reserve, 8.2%. If everyone had five pints of the before the obligatory Cannibal Corpse circle pit I'm sure we could have a go at making the Bronze Age look timid by comparison. :lol:

Putting lime in our hair and painting ourselves with Woad aside, it would be good to have a nice scrumpy on tap at the Bloodstock arms, much more of a Cider man than an Ale drinker myself and it'd brighten (or blur?) the festival to have a choice in the arena that doesn't involve the almost mandatory drinking of that Somersby stuff, it's so damn' sugary that you'll get diabetes sooner than you get tipsy. Blackthorn maybe? Cheap, no doubt, but less like drinking mildly alcoholic sugar-water.

Though it's not realistic, anything under 6% that Westons make would silence all of my complaints about the absurd prices at the bar.

Aye, a bit of Old Rosie wouldn't go amiss.

User avatar
Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 926
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby Bearstock » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:16 pm

How much does the VIP bar usually charge for the ales?
Image
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8833
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby Tet » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:38 pm

My memory's hazy, but I seem to recall it being very reasonable - less than I pay in London. £3.90 sounds vaguely familiar.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

User avatar
JamieH
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby JamieH » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:40 am

Haven't been in VIP since I was taking photos at 2012, but what Tet said sounds about right. Cheaper than the normal bar anyway.

User avatar
keera_envenomed
Denim Demon
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Brizzle

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:10 am

JB65 wrote:
Korthkor wrote:
MetalBeast wrote:Wasn't that impressed by Green Goblin to be honest. I reckon go for some proper scrumpy, although maybe not a really strong one or they'll be fishing people out of the trent.


Bloodstock needs Weston's Reserve, 8.2%. If everyone had five pints of the before the obligatory Cannibal Corpse circle pit I'm sure we could have a go at making the Bronze Age look timid by comparison. :lol:

Putting lime in our hair and painting ourselves with Woad aside, it would be good to have a nice scrumpy on tap at the Bloodstock arms, much more of a Cider man than an Ale drinker myself and it'd brighten (or blur?) the festival to have a choice in the arena that doesn't involve the almost mandatory drinking of that Somersby stuff, it's so damn' sugary that you'll get diabetes sooner than you get tipsy. Blackthorn maybe? Cheap, no doubt, but less like drinking mildly alcoholic sugar-water.

Though it's not realistic, anything under 6% that Westons make would silence all of my complaints about the absurd prices at the bar.

Aye, a bit of Old Rosie wouldn't go amiss.


Old Rosie makes everything better.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

User avatar
JamieH
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby JamieH » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Is Old Rosie not one the most horrendous ciders for hangovers? :lol:

User avatar
keera_envenomed
Denim Demon
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Brizzle

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:47 pm

JamieH wrote:Is Old Rosie not one the most horrendous ciders for hangovers? :lol:


Only because you inevitibly drink too much because it's really tasty but also really strong!
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

User avatar
Beardy
I am the Law!
Posts: 12668
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:52 pm
Location: Over the hills and far away

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby Beardy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Nope, Wrongbow and the like are much worse because of the chemicals in them.

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8833
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby Tet » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:42 pm

JamieH wrote:Is Old Rosie not one the most horrendous ciders for hangovers? :lol:

You could have omitted the last two words there. Terrible stuff. Fortunately the VIP bar tends to have a pretty decent range of ciders that are actually worth drinking.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

User avatar
keera_envenomed
Denim Demon
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Brizzle

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:16 pm

Tet wrote:
JamieH wrote:Is Old Rosie not one the most horrendous ciders for hangovers? :lol:

You could have omitted the last two words there. Terrible stuff. Fortunately the VIP bar tends to have a pretty decent range of ciders that are actually worth drinking.


No dude. Just no.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

User avatar
ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:59 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:31 pm

The choice of ales served at BOA (general sale) is definitely better than other UK festivals I have been to in recent years, and cheaper too.

Think they just need to get the signage right. If the brewers see a variety of their beers being sold, they will be far more likely to offer a similar, if not greater, variety in future years.

Perhaps the organisers can get the breweries to bring better signage this year.
ScrumpiesVeteran: "a great big bloke that smells of apples" - NOT !!!!

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8833
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby Tet » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:14 pm

CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Bloodstock Arms

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:12 pm

I wish they sold some decent bottled beers. Newcastle Brown would do for starters.

Obviously poured into a plastic glass.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp