Set Times Suggestions for 2015

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Set Times Suggestions for 2015

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:51 am

This is a kind of catch all thread for discussion around set times, and any ideas you have to change/improve upon them.

Mine are below:

RJD Stage
I think Main stage times/number of bands are spot on and wouldn't change them.

Sophie Stage
Despite the chicanery surrounding moving Satan's set to 2245-0000, I feel it was a good experiment that shows how the festival could evolve (just like how the Dying Fetus/Slayer clash in '13 paved the way for 'clashing' headliners). As I mentioned in this thread, I can foresee some set times that allow BOA to still have clashing headliners, give the RJD headliner 45 mins unapposed at the end of their set and still have some music until midnight. With a little bit of tweaking, you could fit an extra band in too.
The idea would be that the band you'd normally give 60 minutes to would do 2255-2355, and the 'headliner' would play 2030-2145. This switch would enable you to move all the bands roughly 30 minutes later and allow for an act to play 1040-1110 if you wanted the extra slot.

New Blood Stage
I'd have this run a little later. Slev suggested in the Band Ratings thread about looking for the most original acts in the M2M heats and this got me thinking - what if the M2M venues all had two bands qualify? Maybe 1 that is the popular choice/who won outright, but also another that gets through on artistic merit or something? Anyways, to accomodate this you'd need 44 slots (there were 22 venues this year). An increase of 2 slots per day gives you 45. The 45th spot could go to the Hobgoblin comp winner. It would mean bands playing at 2015-2045 and 2100-2130, but the small cross over with the RJD headliner shouldn't matter I'd have thought. I the cross over is going to be an issue, just switch from giving bands 30 minutes to 25 - this method has the stage running until about 2015ish.

Jager
I'd possibly aim for something a little bigger than previous years. I'd also have more bands on there in general (there's a couple of potential slots per day not currently used earlier on - they'd be utilised.

I may have put way too much thought into this >_>

Dobbydob
Consort of the Beast

Re: Set Times Suggestions for 2015

Postby Dobbydob » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 am

how were Satan even allowed to play after 11? I thought BOA had a live music curfew thing that meant live music couldn't be played once the clock struck 11.
http://www.adam-robson.com
Long Live Strongbow Man

Bio-Zombi
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bio-Zombi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:50 am

I personally would prefer less bands on the Sophie,and those that are on to be given a longer set time,say 40-45 mins for the earlier bands.
You should try being dead...

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 am

Bio-Zombi wrote:I personally would prefer less bands on the Sophie,and those that are on to be given a longer set time,say 40-45 mins for the earlier bands.

That's a good idea - similar to how main stage acts get 40 mins minimum.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 am

Dobbydob wrote:how were Satan even allowed to play after 11? I thought BOA had a live music curfew thing that meant live music couldn't be played once the clock struck 11.

I'm guessing it applies to outdoor music, so the main stage could never be later than 11.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:
Dobbydob wrote:how were Satan even allowed to play after 11? I thought BOA had a live music curfew thing that meant live music couldn't be played once the clock struck 11.

I'm guessing it applies to outdoor music, so the main stage could never be later than 11.

I'm guessing that it's more a case of not telling the authorities they did it.....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:

I'm guessing that it's more a case of not telling the authorities they did it.....

I would imagine so - their hand could have been forced by the MegaDave 'intervention' and snuck 'em in hoping that they'll get way with it. Can't imagine them getting a late licence for music on a Sunday Night - increased traffic and people roaming past the houses to the car park after midnight would get the local's backs up.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

manic_stranger
Definitely Not Nu

Postby manic_stranger » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:49 am

Having watched the Satan set (which was great) they wanted to play a few more songs as an encore but were told absolutely not. This must have been around midnight so perhaps this is the absolute deadline for the live music on the Sophie Stage?
Bring back Gotthard!!

Dobbydob
Consort of the Beast

Postby Dobbydob » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:31 am

I always assumed they must have some sort of run over time in case of any major technical problems that would allow them to still put the bands on. maybe it extends to 12, but to keep the locals happy they just impose the 11pm cutoff point themselves normally.
http://www.adam-robson.com
Long Live Strongbow Man

LouciferSpeaks
Warrior of Metal

Postby LouciferSpeaks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:28 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:New Blood Stage
I'd have this run a little later. Slev suggested in the Band Ratings thread about looking for the most original acts in the M2M heats and this got me thinking - what if the M2M venues all had two bands qualify? Maybe 1 that is the popular choice/who won outright, but also another that gets through on artistic merit or something? Anyways, to accomodate this you'd need 44 slots (there were 22 venues this year). An increase of 2 slots per day gives you 45. The 45th spot could go to the Hobgoblin comp winner. It would mean bands playing at 2015-2045 and 2100-2130, but the small cross over with the RJD headliner shouldn't matter I'd have thought. I the cross over is going to be an issue, just switch from giving bands 30 minutes to 25 - this method has the stage running until about 2015ish.

This is a brilliant idea. Hopefully, by having more slots, we might get more variety in those bands as well. As much as I did like the bands I saw on the New Blood stage this year, I think there was a real lack in Black Metal and Power Metal, etc

Yes, I probably am a little bit bitter that the bands I wanted to get through (such as Sathamel) didn't get through :P
Rum.

Last.fm - just in case you want to see what I'm listening to.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:39 pm

The trouble is the most exciting bands are usually the ones who don't come from M2tM. Having two bands coming through solves nothing, quite a few did that this year and often both were pretty terrible. If you ask me they just need more judges.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

BStobart
Definitely Not Nu

Postby BStobart » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:49 pm

Haldamir, your idea is pretty much bang on, however I do agree with Skippy. Hence why I only went to the New Blood stage once in the whole weekend.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:35 pm

The problem of M2TM is that an audience vote will probably consist of people who don't even attend the festival and are there just for their mates/relatives band. It would be better to get rid of M2TM altogether and get someone to go to actual gigs and book good unsigned bands instead. Same goes for the Hobgoblin competition. All you need is a few mates/relatives to vote everyday for your band.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

GTFCMike
Definitely Not Nu

Postby GTFCMike » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:38 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:The problem of M2TM is that an audience vote will probably consist of people who don't even attend the festival and are there just for their mates/relatives band. It would be better to get rid of M2TM altogether and get someone to go to actual gigs and book good unsigned bands instead.

^^ This. On the ball.
Come on Bloodstock. You know you want to. Hypocrisy. Sort it, Bloodstock! ;)

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 pm

While I agree, I don't think we should get rid of it entirely. In theory it is a good way for some unknown band not on the organiser's radar to get themselves noticed.