Possible Improvements to the New Blood Stage

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Re: Possible Improvements to the New Blood Stage

Postby Blake_Porter » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Skippy wrote:Bands like Goatleaf are decent, but in the large numbers they had this year, not really suitable for Bloodstock. I definitely agree that the lineup on that stage has been pretty poor these last two years, it was interesting reading the announcements for it and seeing how many different ways of avoiding saying that all the bands sound exactly the same they could cram in. To be honest though, it might just be the UK metal scene in general that needs rejuvinating , not Bloodstock itself, I can't think of any bands local that are particularly special or do anything new personally.

You could be right, BUT they could still do A LOT better than just booking an endless amount of core and groove metal bands. Its almost insulting to the ticket buyer and the other musicians that competed that actually fit the "Bloodstock criteria"

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:13 pm

I thought the New Blood Stage had some excellent bands on for a change- then I prefer extreme metal especially Death metal.
The only improvement I would like to see at the New Blood Stage is that people stop smoking fags in there because we had to go out twice and stand in the rain. Same goes for the Sophie Stage- one of our party is asthmatic and should not have to breathe in your second hand smoke and neither should the bands and bar staff.
I'm pretty sure it is illegal to smoke inside these places so for Bloodstock 2015 (We loved the extreme metal from last year) get yourselves some e-cigs....

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Skippy wrote:Bands like Goatleaf are decent, but in the large numbers they had this year.

Really? I don't recall high numbers of stoner bands at the festival, who else played?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:04 pm

cthulhu wrote:
Skippy wrote:Bands like Goatleaf are decent, but in the large numbers they had this year.

Really? I don't recall high numbers of stoner bands at the festival, who else played?

Alzir

Akbal

Possibly The Canyon Observer, depending how you slice it.

Regarding ciggarettes: The security in the new blood are the only guys I sawstopping the in-the-tent-smoking.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:46 am

cthulhu wrote:

One Stoner band is too many.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
cthulhu wrote:

One Stoner band is too many.

False.

CelestialWishDaniel
Powermetal Child

Postby CelestialWishDaniel » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:52 am

I'd imagine it's a bit of a strange situation having to pick unsigned bands, as I'm certain most unsigned Metal bands would jump at the chance to get on that stage (I know mine would!), so picking bands that best represent each area would be a fairly difficult task, I'd imagine. It would definitely be nice to see some more melodic bands on there, like others, I don't get why groove and core bands were on the stage, from my point of view, last year there was a lot of Extreme metal on the main stage, so it'd be fantastic to see unsigned bands providing some variety, I remember really enjoying Neonfly and Northern Oak when they were on the unsigned stage, for example.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:39 am

Skippy wrote:
Smerphy wrote:I can tell you five completely different sounding bands up Glasgow-way who would totally fit BOA: Achren, Atragon, Firebrand Super Rock, Bonesaw, Farseer

Surely all of those are far too big to play the New Blood Stage?

Aww shucks thanks :)

We've entered the MTTM twice and got to the final twice (that's not a boast) so we've seen what goes on. The problem is, and I've had this confirmed by a very reliable source who shall remain unnamed, is that the vast majority of times the band has already been picked before the judge even steps through the door. This has caused so many of the 'different sounding' bands to become so disenfranchised with the entire thing that none of us can be fucked anymore.

To play 2, maybe 3 gigs before the final in a short period of time is a big ask for people to come and see you. Yes the argument is there that you should hopefully have a fanbase willing to see you but I don't think I've ever wanted to see the same unsigned band 4 times in 4 months. It all just becomes a huge cluster-fuck of disappointment and I've found very rarely united bands in the sense of community that it's meant to propose. Except our last one where 3 of the 4 bands simply didn't want one to win so banded together (it failed).

Anyway, to agree with your point more variety is needed, especially as a smaller alternative to the main stage or the Sophie stage. Also please note that was in no way meant to sound completely bitter to the MTTM process, we got some great exposure and made a lot of new fans from it so we're grateful for that.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

euantehclansman
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby euantehclansman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:29 am

Slev wrote:Regarding ciggarettes: The security in the new blood are the only guys I sawstopping the in-the-tent-smoking.

I saw folk getting stopped in the Sophie tent too

pandimensionalsuffering.bandcamp.com

Rob Bannister
Festival Compere

Postby Rob Bannister » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Bisset wrote:
We've entered the MTTM twice and got to the final twice (that's not a boast) so we've seen what goes on. The problem is, and I've had this confirmed by a very reliable source who shall remain unnamed, is that the vast majority of times the band has already been picked before the judge even steps through the door.

Utter bollocks!

Having judged at Leicester and Derby M2TM finals in the past and having run the East Midlands franchise for the past 3 years, I can categorically state that there are strict guidelines which dictate that the bands are picked on their performance on stage at the final. Every one of my finals have had bands going away disappointed but there has never been any hint of corruption. If you have evidence to the contrary, Bissett, I suggest you supply the evidence.
The mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the earth!

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:33 pm

Aplogies I'm not trying to kick up a shit storm and trust me I get the disppointed bands going away. At the end of the day it's a battle of the bands and that's what happens, of course every band thinks they were robbed. I don't want to give the name of the person who told me which might sound like a cop out but their band did win and were told by the main man himself.

I'm a reasonable guy and I'm not afraid to eat humble pie, if I have been speaking out my anus I'll withdraw anything. Not trying to cause any offence by this you understand.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

GTFCMike
Definitely Not Nu

Postby GTFCMike » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:39 pm

impervious wrote:
Bisset wrote:
We've entered the MTTM twice and got to the final twice (that's not a boast) so we've seen what goes on. The problem is, and I've had this confirmed by a very reliable source who shall remain unnamed, is that the vast majority of times the band has already been picked before the judge even steps through the door.

Utter bollocks!

Having judged at Leicester and Derby M2TM finals in the past and having run the East Midlands franchise for the past 3 years, I can categorically state that there are strict guidelines which dictate that the bands are picked on their performance on stage at the final. Every one of my finals have had bands going away disappointed but there has never been any hint of corruption. If you have evidence to the contrary, Bissett, I suggest you supply the evidence.

So it's your fault then! :P
Come on Bloodstock. You know you want to. Hypocrisy. Sort it, Bloodstock! ;)

BStobart
Definitely Not Nu

Postby BStobart » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:43 pm

GTFCMike wrote:
impervious wrote:
Bisset wrote:

Utter bollocks!

So it's your fault then! :P

Rob Bannister
Festival Compere

Postby Rob Bannister » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:08 am

Bisset wrote:I don't want to give the name of the person who told me which might sound like a cop out but their band did win and were told by the main man himself.

I'm a reasonable guy and I'm not afraid to eat humble pie, if I have been speaking out my anus I'll withdraw anything. Not trying to cause any offence by this you understand.

When you are suggesting that the judging of M2TM is corrupt, you can either back it up with solid evidence or withdraw it.
The mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the earth!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:59 am

Come on. Every man and his dog knows it's as corrupt as FIFA.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp