The Headliner Prediction Thread

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The Headliner Prediction Thread

Postby Skippy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:05 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Can't really see the point in bands like Cannibal Corpse headlining. They usually only play for about an hour or so when headlining their own gigs anyway. :lol:

At Damnation they played half an hour or so longer than their scheduled hour and 10 minutes, so there's definitely a point. I think its just the fact that they aren't exactly rarities over here, Immortal, Emperor, Behemoth (at the time) might all be smaller, but I don't think they were over here much when they played.

Having already resigned myself to hating the last headliner (and hoping Powerwolf headline second when they play), I don't care if Immortal or Behemoth get it really. Sabaton would be hugely disapointing though, even though I love them. They play over here so regularly now. It's all coming down to that for me lately.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:23 am

Skippy wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Can't really see the point in bands like Cannibal Corpse headlining. They usually only play for about an hour or so when headlining their own gigs anyway. :lol:

At Damnation they played half an hour or so longer than their scheduled hour and 10 minutes, so there's definitely a point. I think its just the fact that they aren't exactly rarities over here, Immortal, Emperor, Behemoth (at the time) might all be smaller, but I don't think they were over here much when they played.

Having already resigned myself to hating the last headliner (and hoping Powerwolf headline second when they play), I don't care if Immortal or Behemoth get it really. Sabaton would be hugely disapointing though, even though I love them. They play over here so regularly now. It's all coming down to that for me lately.

Yeah Emperor and Immortal are very rare. Do you mean the last headliner they have announced so far?

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:28 am

Has it been established that it's an extreme headliner? Tet just said he'll hate them? Do you like Mastodon Tet? As they're touring at the moment, are the right size to headline and an announcement before Xmas could shift some more early birds?

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Morbid Angel possibly?

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:11 pm

VizardAmata wrote:Morbid Angel possibly?

If anything I'd say they're less popular now than they were last time they played. When they were 3rd or 4th on the day. Certainly their stock hasn't gone up.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:57 pm

Soze wrote:Has it been established that it's an extreme headliner? Tet just said he'll hate them? Do you like Mastodon Tet?

Not particularly, but I don't hate them. They're a "meh" kind of band for me. I'm reasonably convinced the headliner will be someone more to the extreme end of the metal spectrum, but I guess we'll find out in due course (and no, I don't know when that will be).
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:31 pm

Soze wrote:

If anything I'd say they're less popular now than they were last time they played. When they were 3rd or 4th on the day. Certainly their stock hasn't gone up.

Eh... sad but true. Wasn't there that year so wasn't sure when they played. They're second down on the main page, but obviously that doesn't mean a thing!

I'll be happy if they play, no matter what the slot tbh.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Soze wrote:

3rd or 4th? They were special guests just underneath Motorhead.

But definitely not headliners or even special guests nowadays.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:12 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Soze wrote:

3rd or 4th? They were special guests just underneath Motorhead.

But definitely not headliners or even special guests nowadays.

Ah, my memory isn't what it was. Surprises me, looking back, to see them play above Exodus. I reckon that would be the other way round now.

Certainly don't think they'll headline though...be happy enough if they did mind!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:45 pm

If Morbid Angel are only playing Islington Academy when doing their best (or 2nd best) album in full, then at the most they would be special guests like Dimmu Borgir.

I know Devin said it wouldn't happen and they were fairly successful but if Strapping Young Lad reformed they would headline right?

TKO888
Lowly Peon

Postby TKO888 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Mastodon said something along the lines of coming back to do a festival in the summer at their show last Friday. Make of that what you will. Played Soni last year, and there are no Download slots big enough for them left

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:06 pm

Would love Morbid Angel too headline as there probably my favourite band at the moment and always loved them, however very much doubt they'll headline these days, especially after the poor last album

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:40 pm

Only thing about Mastadon is we've already got 2 mainstream headliners, so wouldn't be great, but is as good a rumour as any, I'd say theres definately still space for them on the Download bill. I see Black Label Society being advertised all over websites I visit, could see them doing it

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:27 am

I would rather Mastodon than any of the current headliners or BLS and I don't even REALLY like Mastodon

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:15 am

TKO888 wrote:Mastodon said something along the lines of coming back to do a festival in the summer at their show last Friday. Make of that what you will. Played Soni last year, and there are no Download slots big enough for them left

They're usually about middle of main stage or nearer top on second stage at Download so is plenty room for them there.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5