Rumours

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Warlock
Leather Rebel

Re: Rumours

Postby Warlock » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:45 pm

Never heard them, doesnt sound like I'm missing out!

ChromeX
Warrior of Metal

Postby ChromeX » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:22 am

Blake_Porter wrote:Would rather them that the two headliners we already have

Sad but true, really not impressed with next years headliners; shouldn't imagine friday's will be much better, but we'll see.
BOA: '09 '10 '11 '13 '14 '16 '17 '18 '19
Alt-fraud: '14

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:17 pm

ChromeX wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:Would rather them that the two headliners we already have

Sad but true, really not impressed with next years headliners; shouldn't imagine friday's will be much better, but we'll see.

Why does everyone attach so much importance to the headliners in terms of personal preference? Mainstage bands get 40-45 minute slots so find 3 you like a day and your as well off (ok maybe 4 if the opening mainstage bands are 1 of your three). For me, the Saturday I've more than got my money's worth as I like all the bands bar WT (on the fence about Opeth as well) but overall it's still a great day.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:24 pm

Mainly because the headliners are often the only bands on the bill that aren't repeats...... :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:23 pm

^ Not next year though.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Within Temptation are a repeat from 10 years ago. That's about the correct length of time before a band should be repeated. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:49 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Mainly because the headliners are often the only bands on the bill that aren't repeats...... :P

Considering the moaning we got last year of "im only gonna watch emperor" does it matter if the headliner's are or aren't repeats? People are gonna moan about them anyway :lol:

Killing_time
Paster of Muppets

Postby Killing_time » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:28 pm

Can't wait till Trivium get announced as the final headliner the shitstorm will be incredible :D

Death to Power Pop!! It should go down with the sinking ship that is Download festival.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Killing_time wrote:Can't wait till Trivium get announced as the final headliner the shitstorm will be incredible :D

That would be fucking glorious! Mainly because I won' be at Bloodstock next year.

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:29 pm

The thing is headliners get the longest set and usually the biggest stage show so they are the main drawer for many looking to attend.

Also as the main names on the merch for example some won't really realise it's a festival as such.

I was wearing my T shirt from last year the other week and a girl at work was reading the back and starting talking about Lamb Of God for example.

This year there's a whole bunch of people now contemplating Bloodstock due to Rob Zombie.

The headliners are the news stories and the attention grabbers so they are pretty important.

I'll watch whomever I like that is on but even I was a bit bummed at Within Temptation being the first announcement as it felt a bit of a let down for the first announcement.

As it turns out currently I'd happily watch every other band booked clashes pending.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:58 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:
Killing_time wrote:Can't wait till Trivium get announced as the final headliner the shitstorm will be incredible :D

That would be fucking glorious! Mainly because I won' be at Bloodstock next year.

But if they are on the festival circuit at the time BOA is on then I will almost guarantee they'll be at Wacken as well. :lol:

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:08 pm

^ Yup, but not as headliners of what is effectively the only stage at the festival :lol:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Bearstock wrote:The thing is headliners get the longest set and usually the biggest stage show so they are the main drawer for many looking to attend.

Also as the main names on the merch for example some won't really realise it's a festival as such.

I was wearing my T shirt from last year the other week and a girl at work was reading the back and starting talking about Lamb Of God for example.

This year there's a whole bunch of people now contemplating Bloodstock due to Rob Zombie.

The headliners are the news stories and the attention grabbers so they are pretty important.

I'll watch whomever I like that is on but even I was a bit bummed at Within Temptation being the first announcement as it felt a bit of a let down for the first announcement.

As it turns out currently I'd happily watch every other band booked clashes pending.

My point was that headliners overall shouldn't effect your festival experience if you like the undercard. I couldn't care less in terms of my own enjoyment if the headliner did or did not draw media attention or didn't shift much merch; from a purely self-centred "entertain me" perspective, are the headliners really going to make or break a fest for you? I'm going next year and I don't like WT, but the undercard more than makes up for it and gives me value for my money.

I understand festivals need good or strong headliners from a business perspective, but your average punter looking at a poster and debating going or not is going to think "I like RB but, I just can't get over his lack of media appeal" (and before someone argues that a strong headliner would secure advertisement for the fest, at the end of the day money buys advertisement as well; although I concede metal media would jump on a big headliner free of charge).

Most festival's I've been to I've only liked 1 or 2 headliners, in fact last year's BOA was the first festival I've been to that I've liked all the headliners.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:06 pm

You only have to look at the Facebook page to see how much emphasis people put on the headliners.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:57 pm

I think headliners can make or break it. The atmosphere of watching a full stage show in the dark of night to really good music (Emperor and Immortal and WASP have been my favourites so far) is definitely one of the biggest reasons I go. And I am sure many others feel this way. You can claim the tent has a similar setting, but you would be wrong.