Rumours

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
User avatar
Chugging Pus
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1535
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:54 am
Location: King's Lynn

Re: Rumours

Postby Chugging Pus » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:48 am

Tet wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:I'm only there to see bands. I can think of much better places to get drunk, meet people and enjoy myself than a field in the East Midlands.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Sure, I enjoy the social side of things. But it's all about the bands for me. And sadly, Bloodstock hasn't really been delivering on that front in recent years.


Both for me, I am primarily there for the bands. A weaker line up could be swayed by the fact a lot of friends I only see once a year go there. A shit line up would see me elsewhere.
"What we're having here is a secret conversation, and I'm hoping that this time, you can keep the fucking secret, because normally you're about as secure as a hymen in a South London comprehensive."

User avatar
Warlock
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:19 am

Re: Rumours

Postby Warlock » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:50 am

Part of the reason why there may be a divide in BOA goers also maybe the fact that there is alot of elitism and people classing bands as 'knuckle draggin' or 'baldy shouting men' just because they have a sound that they don't like, and looking down apon certain styles or bands. Its ridiculous, I like bands from both 'sides' and if I don't like it then I will just watch something else, and respect the fact that some people like bands I don't like it. Its all Metal and we should unite together not seperate up and squabble amougnst ourselves. I don't like Within Temptation but I'm certainly not going to go about slagging them and there fans off. Like someone said its all about the music, people don't go to BOA to see just one band!

User avatar
Warlock
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:19 am

Re: Rumours

Postby Warlock » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:59 am

Skippy wrote:People who say "its metal it deserves a place" don't think that maybe other metal deserves a place as well, metal that is much more underserved over here, metal that BOA was originally built for. I've seen Devildriver 3 times and I hate them, BDM I've had many chances. But other bands never play over here, so why give the common bands even more of an outlet, when they can just play Hevyfest/Download/Techfest/Sonisphere/Reading & Leeds/Ghostfest/whatever else is out there.

I certainly aren't one of those people, of course other metal deserves its place

User avatar
Warlock
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:19 am

Re: Rumours

Postby Warlock » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:07 am

Skippy wrote:While in my opinion bands like Black Dahlia and Devildriver are the absolute worst of metal, sensless skinheads shouting boring slogans down a microphone, I'm not overly averse to one or two of that sort playing every year...but its gotten a bit beyond that now. It's definitely lost it's uniqueness, and I really think that the atmosphere has gotten lost too - the arena seems a lot quieter for most of the day, as people seem to just wait till certain bands are on before they leave the tent.

See I could write aload of childish insulting things about metal bands I don't like, but instead I'll just not listen it, and respect the people who do like it. Kind of reminds me of when people who don't know anything about metal describe it as 'just screaming down the microphone!'

User avatar
Warlock
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:19 am

Re: Rumours

Postby Warlock » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:08 am

Leemanruss wrote:What upsets me the most about all this is the sense of a divide in the attendees at Bloodstock. Rather than the feeling of everyone being there for the same reason, like we used to get, it feels like half the people there are present for one end of the spectrum of bands playing, and the other half for the other end.

For example, Person A and Person B may have attended Bloodstock '14 with 2 completey different experiences regarding bands:

Person A may have watched:

Friday:

Gurt
Aghast
Flotsam and Jetsam
Prong
Zerozonic
Dog Tired
Hatebreed
Jonestown
Down

Saturday:

Back Down or Die
Decapitated
The Mercy House
Crowbar
Resin
Blood Red Throne
Carcass
Hellyeah

Sunday:

Aborted
Morgue Orgy
Biohazard
Psykosis
Krow
Obituary
Kill All The Gentlemen
Megadeth

Whereas Person B may watch:

Friday:

Bloodshot Dawn
Primordial
Deals Death
Triptykon
Undersmile
Skyclad
Dimmu Borgir
Rotting Christ

Saturday:

Evil Scarecrow
Shining
Orphaned Land
Conquest of Steel
Metaprism
Lacuna Coil
Children of Bodom
Battleaxe
Sister Sin
Emperor

Sunday

Arthemis
King Goat
Revamp
Akb'al
Avatar
Stormzone
Collibus
Saxon
Enkelination
Amon Amarth
Satan


This is a totally made up example using bands from either side of the divide that I see and feel when Im at Bloodstock. It just seems more common now that Person A and Person B will only have a 20% crossover in mutual bands they like rather than the feeling of everyone having an 80% mutual interest in bands they like, similar to the feeling in 2011 and earlier.


Everyone is there for the same reason, Heavy Metal!

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2342
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Rumours

Postby Skippy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:45 am

Warlock wrote:
Everyone is there for the same reason, Heavy Metal!

Then why isn't there any being booked?

Ok, I know that's not what you mean, but you've completely missed the point - its not that other metal is being booked, its that it's being booked largely at the expense of what the festival was known for. I'd definitely not listen to metal I disliked, if I thought for a second I could get away from it. Much harder these days. Like I said, there are other places to see Devildriver, but nowhere else (in the UK) that would book an Emperor headline show, or Death and Dark Angel's first festival here in years. Bloodstock are still doing that (not as much in my eyes), but there's no final Falconer UK show, no Evergrey who have just released their best album in years, no Powerwolf, no Helloween, no Blind Guardian. I'm much more into my power or prog metal than anything else, yet the bands I'm mostly looking forward to this year are pretty much all black metal bands. They are letting other things slip away chasing a more mainstream crowd that already have plenty of places to go.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
Warlock
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:19 am

Re: Rumours

Postby Warlock » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:59 am

Skippy wrote:
Warlock wrote:
Everyone is there for the same reason, Heavy Metal!

Then why isn't there any being booked?

Ok, I know that's not what you mean, but you've completely missed the point - its not that other metal is being booked, its that it's being booked largely at the expense of what the festival was known for. I'd definitely not listen to metal I disliked, if I thought for a second I could get away from it. Much harder these days. Like I said, there are other places to see Devildriver, but nowhere else (in the UK) that would book an Emperor headline show, or Death and Dark Angel's first festival here in years. Bloodstock are still doing that (not as much in my eyes), but there's no final Falconer UK show, no Evergrey who have just released their best album in years, no Powerwolf, no Helloween, no Blind Guardian. I'm much more into my power or prog metal than anything else, yet the bands I'm mostly looking forward to this year are pretty much all black metal bands. They are letting other things slip away chasing a more mainstream crowd that already have plenty of places to go.


Oh right I think I may have done, I see what your saying, that would be a better reason not too want bands like that, I thought it was just the fact that Devildriver etc were not too your taste or too mainstream etc. I think BOA should try and put on all those acts that you mentioned especially if they have important stuff going on. I can see your point, power and prog is lacking alot this year. I'm looking forward to alot ofblack metal too just a shame most of it is on quite early on in the day!

User avatar
CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:37 am
Location: Bo'ness, West Lothian

Re: Rumours

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:57 am

Sadly I fear that no matter who is in the line up, folk won't be happy.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Rumours

Postby houston4044 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:02 am

Skippy wrote:
Warlock wrote:
Everyone is there for the same reason, Heavy Metal!

Then why isn't there any being booked?

Ok, I know that's not what you mean, but you've completely missed the point - its not that other metal is being booked, its that it's being booked largely at the expense of what the festival was known for. I'd definitely not listen to metal I disliked, if I thought for a second I could get away from it. Much harder these days. Like I said, there are other places to see Devildriver, but nowhere else (in the UK) that would book an Emperor headline show, or Death and Dark Angel's first festival here in years. Bloodstock are still doing that (not as much in my eyes), but there's no final Falconer UK show, no Evergrey who have just released their best album in years, no Powerwolf, no Helloween, no Blind Guardian. I'm much more into my power or prog metal than anything else, yet the bands I'm mostly looking forward to this year are pretty much all black metal bands. They are letting other things slip away chasing a more mainstream crowd that already have plenty of places to go.


The easy answer would be:

- Blind Guardian's only UK show still hasn't sold out even after tickets being on sale for a year
- From accounts on here (not completely reliable I know) Avantasia didn't have a massive crowd (and they're both a rarity and one of the bigger power metal bands)
- How much press/talk do you hear about those bands outside of your niche? I don't like say, Ensiferium or Korn but I know who they are and a small idea of what they're doing; I can't remember the last time outside these forums that I've seen or heard a mention of Evergrey

Either BOA has decided it's outgrown it's past or decided it's past audience alone isn't enough to sustain itself.

I'm neither defending or attacking BOA here, (if I was to do anything it would be a cautious defending as BOA is moving into a perfect sphere for my tastes though they could easily outgrow that) just saying what I see.

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Rumours

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:00 pm

You've got to look at it from the point of view of people who have attended for more than five minutes.

You finally get a festival than books bands that aren't the flavour of the month in Kerrang and Metal Hammer, or playing festivals such Download, Reading/Leeds or Ozzfest.

And suddenly it's move over - we're booking bands that ARE flavour of the month in Kerrang and Metal Hammer and play Download every year. Why bother as that market is already covered?

Yes. Some of the Power and Traditional Heavy Metal bands have had poor attendances at the festival recently. That's because that crowd has largely disappeared and won't be coming back. But they could of gone down that road and booked the major Classic Rock and Metal bands. You know, bands that can pull a decent crowd. Scorpions, Whitesnake, Magnum, Marillion, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc* would of easily pulled the crowds.

By the fans, for new people that went to a different festival!


*Just a few random bands off the top of my head.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Rumours

Postby cthulhu » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm

To be fair based off of what i've seen on the covers of those magazines most of the bands who you'd consider "their bands" they've cooled off on pretty heavily in favour of core bands and the most hipstery side of prog/djent.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

User avatar
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Rumours

Postby cthulhu » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:38 pm

I mean just look at their Golden Gods nominations:

Best New Band:
King 810
Beartooth
Marmozets
We Are Harlot
King Parrot

Best UK Band:
Electric Wizard
Napalm Death
Architects
Bring Me The Horizon
While She Sleeps

Best International Band:
Slipknot
Machine Head
Nightwish
Mastodon
Scorpions

Breakthrough:
The Amity Affliction
Halestorm
Bury Tomorrow
Babymetal
In This Moment

Best Underground:
Sólstafir
Winterfylleth
Purson
Royal Thunder
Bölzer

Best Live Band:
Parkway Drive
Meshuggah
Killer Be Killed
Devin Townsend
Of Mice & Men

Dimebag Darrell Shredder:
Ben Bruce (Asking Alexandria)
Ice Dale (Enslaved)
Richie Faulkner (Judas Priest)
Jake Pitts (Black Veil Brides)
Josh Middleton (Sylosis)

Best Video:
Evil Scarecrow – “Space Dementia“
Northlane – “Rot“
Body Count – “Institutionalized“
Suicide Silence – “You Can’t Stop Me“
Motionless In White – “Break The Cycle“




I mean sure Machine Head make an appearance there and they'll never let go of Slipknot that's their bread and butter band but what's left aren't bands like Trivium, Five Finger Death Punch, BLS, Lamb of God, Devildriver or Fear Factory anymore, their scene has moved on from that american scene of groove or groove influenced bands for the most part.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

mathewxentrix88
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:30 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Rumours

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 pm

cthulhu wrote:To be fair based off of what i've seen on the covers of those magazines most of the bands who you'd consider "their bands" they've cooled off on pretty heavily in favour of core bands and the most hipstery side of prog/djent.

Which means Bloodstock will get a load of that kind of crap on the go for next year!

User avatar
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Rumours

Postby cthulhu » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:45 pm

mathewxentrix88 wrote:
cthulhu wrote:To be fair based off of what i've seen on the covers of those magazines most of the bands who you'd consider "their bands" they've cooled off on pretty heavily in favour of core bands and the most hipstery side of prog/djent.

Which means Bloodstock will get a load of that kind of crap on the go for next year!


You might be right, and the day Dillinger Escape Plan are playing as special guests to Bring Me The Horizon on the sunday is the day i strongly reconsider buying a ticket.

My point (for Gandalf's sake) is not that these bands belong at Bloodstock but rather that they're not bringing in the Kerrang/Metal Hammer faithful, largely those bands bring in folks 18-26 who were young and impressionable when the groove revival took root but who never graduated much past that point in terms of taste.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8835
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: Rumours

Postby Tet » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:27 pm

cthulhu wrote:Best Live Band:
Parkway Drive

:lol: :lol:
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...