cthulhu wrote:Best Live Band:
Parkway Drive

:lol: :lol:

Not exactly Triaxis eh Tet? Eh? :P

Tet
Denim Demon

Re: Rumours

Postby Tet » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:00 pm

Indeed not, but I've had the misfortune to see them in a live setting, and let's just say they were not very good!
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:46 am

The only 'flavour of the month' band I can think of that BOA has booked is Trivium, and then again to call them that is a bit harsh, they've been around for ages and are still at it!

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:51 am

houston4044 wrote:
Skippy wrote:
Warlock wrote:
Everyone is there for the same reason, Heavy Metal!

Then why isn't there any being booked?

Ok, I know that's not what you mean, but you've completely missed the point - its not that other metal is being booked, its that it's being booked largely at the expense of what the festival was known for. I'd definitely not listen to metal I disliked, if I thought for a second I could get away from it. Much harder these days. Like I said, there are other places to see Devildriver, but nowhere else (in the UK) that would book an Emperor headline show, or Death and Dark Angel's first festival here in years. Bloodstock are still doing that (not as much in my eyes), but there's no final Falconer UK show, no Evergrey who have just released their best album in years, no Powerwolf, no Helloween, no Blind Guardian. I'm much more into my power or prog metal than anything else, yet the bands I'm mostly looking forward to this year are pretty much all black metal bands. They are letting other things slip away chasing a more mainstream crowd that already have plenty of places to go.

The easy answer would be:

- Blind Guardian's only UK show still hasn't sold out even after tickets being on sale for a year
- From accounts on here (not completely reliable I know) Avantasia didn't have a massive crowd (and they're both a rarity and one of the bigger power metal bands)
- How much press/talk do you hear about those bands outside of your niche? I don't like say, Ensiferium or Korn but I know who they are and a small idea of what they're doing; I can't remember the last time outside these forums that I've seen or heard a mention of Evergrey

Either BOA has decided it's outgrown it's past or decided it's past audience alone isn't enough to sustain itself.

I'm neither defending or attacking BOA here, (if I was to do anything it would be a cautious defending as BOA is moving into a perfect sphere for my tastes though they could easily outgrow that) just saying what I see.

In some ways I like the way BOA is moving, but in others not so much. Its great that they have more sub genres available now, but I think the headliners and special guests have suffered

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:42 am

i0th wrote:
cthulhu wrote:I mean just look at their Golden Gods nominations:
Best UK Band:
Electric Wizard
Napalm Death
Architects
Bring Me The Horizon
While She Sleeps

So the usual obligatory two "we're a real metal magazine" credibility bands who have no chance of winning as the demographic of the voters would vote for BMTH... yep, standard.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:47 am

Warlock wrote:
In some ways I like the way BOA is moving, but in others not so much. Its great that they have more sub genres available now, but I think the headliners and special guests have suffered

That's not the fault of the change of direction per se, just a case of the choice of individual bands they picked. My concern is that it starts off with Down one year and a few years moves to the likes of While She Sleeps. At the moment i'm enjoying the change alot but i'm always aware it could go beyond my tastes and i'll turn into everyone of the old guard on here "it's not what it used to be :P "

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:02 pm

Has anyone thought that perhaps the reason it started out with smaller, more niche bands who didn't play here very often but now feature more well known bands could have anything to do with growing as a festival and now being able to afford such bands whereas they may not have been able to get them to play previously?
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Not really. I don't recall them booking awful 'core bands back in the day because they are cheap. And they are cheap as chips. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:58 pm

Bearstock wrote:Has anyone thought that perhaps the reason it started out with smaller, more niche bands who didn't play here very often but now feature more well known bands could have anything to do with growing as a festival and now being able to afford such bands whereas they may not have been able to get them to play previously?

Then why are they repeating the same bands aka Children of Bodom, Obituary or Hatebreed?

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:46 pm

All three had fairly successful sets so maybe felt like were worth bringing back?

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Speaking fo Metal Hammer and the bands they feature, this just popped up as a sponsored ad on my Facebook news feed:

The new issue of Metal Hammer is on sale now with EXCLUSIVE triple-gatefold Slipknot cover designed by The Walking Dead comic book artist Charlie Adlard!

Plus there's Trivium, KISS, Halestorm, Bullet for My Valentine, Stick To Your Guns and loads more!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Bearstock wrote:Speaking fo Metal Hammer and the bands they feature, this just popped up as a sponsored ad on my Facebook news feed:

The new issue of Metal Hammer is on sale now with EXCLUSIVE triple-gatefold Slipknot cover designed by The Walking Dead comic book artist Charlie Adlard!

Plus there's Trivium, KISS, Halestorm, Bullet for My Valentine, Stick To Your Guns and loads more!

p.s. ear plugs not included :P

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:01 pm

If you want evidence of the direction they want to take the festival you just have to look at the latest April Fool post on the Facebook page. About how Tool are playing an exclusive set at midnight, H&M are the new sponsors and Sharon Osbourne being the compare. To be honest that post is not that far from the truth.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:06 pm

I reckon there's some people on here who'd be pretty happy with Tool playing to be fair :lol:

If Sharon Osbourne was to be there I hope the gobstopper guy would be too.....

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:12 pm

No accounting for taste. They should be sent to Reading where shite like Tool normally play. :lol: