Sophie stage headliners

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
UnoriginalAlias
Lowly Peon

Re: Sophie stage headliners

Postby UnoriginalAlias » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:03 pm

houston4044 wrote:I'd imagine they are probably quite expensive to book compared to other previous headliners ironically :lol: I think if anything they are probably the big money headliner this year, so can't see the bookers throwing most of their budget on one day when they want to spread the quality out to maximise weekend tickets :|

I recognise that WT are a very big band, my point is that many people don't realise this, they seem to be a waste of an expensive headliner for a festival like this, based on the reaction to their booking they don't seem very suitable or appreciated. They may be expensive but many many Bloodstockers don't view them as 'quality'.

I don't see how getting a band like Sleep / Electric Wizard / Gorguts for Saturday Sophie headliner would be 'throwing most of their budget on one day', those bands are more expensive than the usual Sophie headliner but are probably no less costly than most of the bands around the middle of the main stage. Besides, if they give people a good alternative it could reduce the number of people ruling out BOA15 based on WT alone. If they get more Bloodstock appropriate headliners for the other two days then that combined with a good Sophie headliner on Saturday may even improve weekend ticket sales, possibly.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Killing_time wrote:Anathema are Progressive/Experimental Rock you idiot!

...and that makes them ideal for a metal festival because.....?

I'm well aware of what they are, and what they were, but last I looked this ain't a progressive/experimental rock festival and if any of their last three albums were their first, they wouldn't be anywhere near this festival. Opeth still make heavy rock albums, but cretins seem to think if a band is not growling they're not in that bracket anymore and don't belong near a heavy rock/metal festival. Whether WT have their pop moments or not, they had them when they headlined in 2005 so they still belong on the bill.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Killing_time
Paster of Muppets

Postby Killing_time » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:12 pm

Metal is a sub genre of Rock therefore yeah i'd say they are acceptable. Pop hasn't got anything to do with Rock or Metal therefore Within Temptation don't belong at Bloodstock.

Death to Power Pop!! It should go down with the sinking ship that is Download festival.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:17 pm

UnoriginalAlias wrote:
houston4044 wrote:I'd imagine they are probably quite expensive to book compared to other previous headliners ironically :lol: I think if anything they are probably the big money headliner this year, so can't see the bookers throwing most of their budget on one day when they want to spread the quality out to maximise weekend tickets :|

I recognise that WT are a very big band, my point is that many people don't realise this, they seem to be a waste of an expensive headliner for a festival like this, based on the reaction to their booking they don't seem very suitable or appreciated. They may be expensive but many many Bloodstockers don't view them as 'quality'.

Obviously, with a fests that has the likes of Immortal and Emperor as headliners, there's going to be some who don't like the likes of WT, but as those bands have been on the bill since the start the reverse is also true, and hence why I was sat with host of people during Immortal, Carcass etc who were as bored as I was. Sure, a lot of their fans won't come to BOA, but when you played to around 40k on one tour, a fair chunk of those would come (and probably come every year), same as many of the glam/punk/old rocker fans of Motorhead and Alice Cooper wouldn't come, but still made excellent headliners (in terms of name, I know Lemmy and Co didn't cover themselves in glory)
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:02 pm

UnoriginalAlias wrote:

I don't see how getting a band like Sleep / Electric Wizard / Gorguts for Saturday Sophie headliner would be 'throwing most of their budget on one day', those bands are more expensive than the usual Sophie headliner but are probably no less costly than most of the bands around the middle of the main stage. Besides, if they give people a good alternative it could reduce the number of people ruling out BOA15 based on WT alone. If they get more Bloodstock appropriate headliners for the other two days then that combined with a good Sophie headliner on Saturday may even improve weekend ticket sales, possibly.

I didn't mean to be band specific, I was more referring to the idea of putting a bigger sophie band on Saturday to compensate for the fans who didn't like WT. It would look like they've thrown all their money on one day at the expense of the other two making a weekend ticket look a bad choice (obviously price/size of bands doesn't necessitate amount of fans they'd bring in). If you took a middle mainstage band and got them to headline then you'd have to book another mainstage band to replace them on the RJD stage; either way more money spent on one day at the expense of the others.

Personally, rather than spend big on an alternative to WT, book a popular "wishlist/fb" requested band; that way some/most casual fest fans will be pleased with WT and forums/regular punters will be pleased.

StonerWizzard
Definitely Not Nu

Postby StonerWizzard » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:42 pm

Killing_time wrote:Electric Wizard
Swallow The Sun
Ghost Brigade
Alcest
Weedeater
Acid King
Pelican
Bongripper

Anathema
Orange Goblin
Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats
Grand Magus
Kylesa
Chelsea Wolfe
Belzebong
Slabdragger

Ihsahn
Solstafir
Deafheaven
Jesu
Bongzilla
Stoned Jesus
Cannabis Corpse
My Sleeping Karma

I'd have something like that for the Sophie stage

THIS.
actual hipster emo scum that still thinks his views on metal are worth commenting. deafheaven, baroness, blind guardian, kvelertak and converge pls

StonerWizzard
Definitely Not Nu

Postby StonerWizzard » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:59 pm

someone else wrote:Amusing that you slag off the WT announcement for not being metal yet have Anathema on your list - they haven't made a metal album for around 15 years and their current drippy crybaby rock is more akin to Coldplay or Elbow...

Alcest etc. are also quite far removed from metal, and yet they have a huge crossover audience. I'd love to see more post-rock and experimental bands on the second stage. I'd take it over a million identical death metal bands any day.
actual hipster emo scum that still thinks his views on metal are worth commenting. deafheaven, baroness, blind guardian, kvelertak and converge pls

GTFCMike
Definitely Not Nu

Postby GTFCMike » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:55 pm

VizardAmata wrote:Put Electric Wizard opposite WT. All else is invalid.

No way! This cannot be allowed to happen.

Black, death, industrial, whatever.......... Not fucking Electric Wizard!

That followed by the 4DJ's would finish me off :P
Come on Bloodstock. You know you want to. Hypocrisy. Sort it, Bloodstock! ;)

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:10 pm

StonerWizzard wrote:
someone else wrote:Amusing that you slag off the WT announcement for not being metal yet have Anathema on your list - they haven't made a metal album for around 15 years and their current drippy crybaby rock is more akin to Coldplay or Elbow...

Alcest etc. are also quite far removed from metal, and yet they have a huge crossover audience. I'd love to see more post-rock and experimental bands on the second stage. I'd take it over a million identical death metal bands any day.

This. People should be asking for more variety at Bloodstock. A dozen identical death metal bands and a dozen hardcore bands is boring for everyone.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:07 am

Anathema are more akin to Ginger Floyd than anything remotely Metal. :P

They also don't listen to Metal at all and prefer to listen to The Beatles. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

dexter123
Consort of the Beast

Postby dexter123 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:35 am

i reckon - whatever the reasons good or bad - the sophie headliner should be on after the mainstage headliner, it doesn't take anything away. watching satan after megadunce this year was great!! and a nice wee surprise if i'm honest

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:49 am

dexter123 wrote:i reckon - whatever the reasons good or bad - the sophie headliner should be on after the mainstage headliner, it doesn't take anything away. watching satan after megadunce this year was great!! and a nice wee surprise if i'm honest

Not a nice surprise for the many people that didn't know about the changes. :x
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

dexter123
Consort of the Beast

Postby dexter123 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:03 am

thats why it was a nice surprise, i didn't know either

King Penda
Powermetal Child

Postby King Penda » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:26 pm

Get some NWOBHM on the sophie whether its Diamond Head, Tygers of Tan Pang or whoever always goes down well

King of Asgard for the years we don`t see Amon Amarth

Andy (Dr Sin)
Consort of the Beast

Postby Andy (Dr Sin) » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Solstafir headlining all 3 nights. Thank you very much for your co-operation, end of discussion.
Where's my old bloody account gone?!