Sophie stage headliners

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
euantehclansman
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Sophie stage headliners

Postby euantehclansman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:08 pm

cthulhu wrote:To be fair Ihsahn must give black metal fanatics a bit of a headache, his contributions to the genre are so significant and his music remains at a high standard but at the same time the guy has the appearance of an apple store "genius" or a website developer.

Maybe the silly trve kvlt only satan norwegian is real lot, but to most black metal fans, who gives a shit?

pandimensionalsuffering.bandcamp.com

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:14 pm

cthulhu wrote:Could Satyricon headline? Yes. They're solid live, have history and would please the rather sizable extreme metal bloodstock pulls.

But they won't. They don't bring in new fans, they don't play venues of a certain size and the festival won't take a chance that Satyricon will go down as they would abroad.

It'd be nice for Bloodstock to give a band of that nature a headlining slot when sandwiched between strong headliners, it'd restore some good will from the extreme community which is sizable at bloodstock. But at the end of the day it's not my money being fronted to book these bands so my opinion is idealistic and ill informed.

Are Satyricon still popular amongst extreme metal fans? I haven't liked an album by them in fifteen years or more and think of them as approaching mainstream nowadays.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:21 pm

Warlock wrote:
Soze wrote:Sigh would be my pick for Sophie headliners. Plus a power metal band, one who are reasonably big but not big enough for the main stage...Gamma Ray perhaps?

Who are Sigh? No idea who they are! Gamma Ray would work so would Powerwolf

Really? I'd have thought they'd be quite well known in here, they've been around for twenty years and have released some amazing stuff. They're quite bonkers and probably not to everyone's tastes, melodic, jazzy, progressive, psychedelic Japanese black metal. I absolutely adore them. They were famous for being the first non European band to sign for Euronymous' old label before he died...although their first album is just straight up Venom worship.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:28 pm

Bearstock wrote:I reckon will bump into you at Bloodstock next year Houston, shall just keep my eye out for a thin cardigan and some skinny jeans.....

Bump into me? You mean other people apart from me will be there? Jesus, BOA is more mainstream than Reading :P

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:21 am

http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:51 am

euantehclansman wrote:
cthulhu wrote:To be fair Ihsahn must give black metal fanatics a bit of a headache, his contributions to the genre are so significant and his music remains at a high standard but at the same time the guy has the appearance of an apple store "genius" or a website developer.

Maybe the silly trve kvlt only satan norwegian is real lot, but to most black metal fans, who gives a shit?

Yeah who would actually care about what he looks like!?

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:55 am

Blake_Porter wrote:
Warlock wrote:
Soze wrote:Sigh would be my pick for Sophie headliners. Plus a power metal band, one who are reasonably big but not big enough for the main stage...Gamma Ray perhaps?

Who are Sigh? No idea who they are! Gamma Ray would work so would Powerwolf

You don't know what you're missing man! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQCXJJSlHQ

Cool I'll check it out!

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:56 am

houston4044 wrote:Oh wow I thought I was the only Biohazard fan here, damn, there goes my hipster cred :lol:

There was a big crowd for them to be fair!

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:28 am

euantehclansman wrote:

Yeah they were who i was referring to hence the word fanatic. I deliberately elected against the word "elitist" which i hate with a passion. I listen to more than enough black metal myself and whilst appearance is irrelevant to me for some it's a major thing.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:51 am

Warlock wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Oh wow I thought I was the only Biohazard fan here, damn, there goes my hipster cred :lol:

I didn't think it was that large, but I was surprised by how enthusiastic those who were there were.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:52 pm

cthulhu wrote:
euantehclansman wrote:

Yeah they were who i was referring to hence the word fanatic. I deliberately elected against the word "elitist" which i hate with a passion. I listen to more than enough black metal myself and whilst appearance is irrelevant to me for some it's a major thing.

Ah ok fair enough, just think its a bit poserish if people think how you look affects things, although visuals can be a bonus with alot of Black Metal because of all the theatrics can be entertaining

houston4044 wrote:
Warlock wrote:

I didn't think it was that large, but I was surprised by how enthusiastic those who were there were.

I thought it was big for the time of day, yeah never seen that many people on stage before!

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Sigh headlining the Sophie would be amazing.