Sophie stage headliners

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Re: Sophie stage headliners

Postby fluffkitten » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Chugging Pus wrote:Devilment, Hell and Tyr to headline the Sophie stage would make me happy and the bands are probably about the right size.

Tyr have said they aren't playing BOA next year when a few people have asked at recent gigs. :( Even with a one hour slot I'd be very surprised at Hell in the tent.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Chugging Pus
Paster of Muppets

Postby Chugging Pus » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:52 pm

That would be my thought, although having seen the band without pyros on several occasions I can say it doesn't actually take much away from the experience. The songs stand up for themselves incredibly well.
"What we're having here is a secret conversation, and I'm hoping that this time, you can keep the fucking secret, because normally you're about as secure as a hymen in a South London comprehensive."

Chugging Pus
Paster of Muppets

Postby Chugging Pus » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:52 pm

fluffkitten wrote:Tyr have said they aren't playing BOA next year when a few people have asked at recent gigs. :( Even with a one hour slot I'd be very surprised at Hell in the tent.

I thought a chap on here said they spoke to him and said they were playing? :?
"What we're having here is a secret conversation, and I'm hoping that this time, you can keep the fucking secret, because normally you're about as secure as a hymen in a South London comprehensive."

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:58 pm

Aye they did :?

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:19 am

strangeasangels wrote:Anaal Nathrakh just announced for Wacken. If they're about in August, they could be a good second stage headliner.

I'd much rather the other band they announced, Falconer, considering they haven't played recently, are much better, and are stopping touring soon.

Actually, Falconer, Anaal Nathrakh and Tyr would be excellent for me, as I wanna watch Within Temptation anyway. How about Swallow the Sun though? Think they'd be great on the second stage.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Chugging Pus
Paster of Muppets

Postby Chugging Pus » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:44 am

Skippy wrote:How about Swallow the Sun though? Think they'd be great on the second stage.

On a personal level I'd be disappointed as not really my thing, but realistically they would be a good booking and probably about the right size.

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:43 am

Blake_Porter wrote:Ive not seen any pyros yet so I imagine its prohibited

The thing about any festival anywhere and any activity at any festival (or any event of any kind open to the public) is that they require a significant amount of health and safety initiatives, risk assessments, weighing the gain against the risks and clear communication with the council in regards to details of this.

a basic risk assessment involves a number that bases potential damage against likelihood of it happening so basically you're questioning how bad an explosive material inside a building made of canvas on a small stage could be if something fucked up and then you've got to question how feasible it is (and that's typically higher than you'd expect it to be).

By my estimation it'd get at least a 15/25 which is a red zone number so how do you reduce that? You can't really make a potential accident with explosives any less potentially lethal so it'll always be at least a 5/25 which is a yellow zone number (I.e. not a clear and obvious danger but still a legitimate hazard) and that's assuming you've cordoned off the pyro, adjusted the jets to a range that is significantly short of catching rigging, PA, audience, security or the canvas and in addition have trained medics and firefighters on site at all times.

So lets say they somehow make the space and get a crew to stand by who are well trained in pyro and another crew prepared to administer emergency response...you then weigh up does the pyro really justify the added effort and potential risks? and that's where it falls apart, on main stage they have larger space, open air and people standing by anyway...in the tent though it really doesn't.

And assuming you get the risk to a 5/25 and can personally justify it somehow you've still got to look at all that and realise a skeptical council employee trained to dream up worst case scenarios in everything proposed for a living is going to be viewing that proposal and determining whether or not he thinks it's a good idea...this is a guy who has by this point almost certainly proposed a report to his superiors about what they can do to fix the potential trip hazards of guide ropes in the campsite and that's the guy who you have to convince.

fluffkitten wrote:
Chugging Pus wrote:Devilment, Hell and Tyr to headline the Sophie stage would make me happy and the bands are probably about the right size.

Tyr have said they aren't playing BOA next year when a few people have asked at recent gigs. :( Even with a one hour slot I'd be very surprised at Hell in the tent.

That's odd. Not sure what to believe now, the vocalist told me and a couple others they had already agreed to play when they were hanging out after the Plymouth show.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:40 am

cthulhu wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:Ive not seen any pyros yet so I imagine its prohibited

The thing about any festival anywhere and any activity at any festival (or any event of any kind open to the public) is that they require a significant amount of health and safety initiatives, risk assessments, weighing the gain against the risks and clear communication with the council in regards to details of this.

a basic risk assessment involves a number that bases potential damage against likelihood of it happening so basically you're questioning how bad an explosive material inside a building made of canvas on a small stage could be if something fucked up and then you've got to question how feasible it is (and that's typically higher than you'd expect it to be).

By my estimation it'd get at least a 15/25 which is a red zone number so how do you reduce that? You can't really make a potential accident with explosives any less potentially lethal so it'll always be at least a 5/25 which is a yellow zone number (I.e. not a clear and obvious danger but still a legitimate hazard) and that's assuming you've cordoned off the pyro, adjusted the jets to a range that is significantly short of catching rigging, PA, audience, security or the canvas and in addition have trained medics and firefighters on site at all times.

So lets say they somehow make the space and get a crew to stand by who are well trained in pyro and another crew prepared to administer emergency response...you then weigh up does the pyro really justify the added effort and potential risks? and that's where it falls apart, on main stage they have larger space, open air and people standing by anyway...in the tent though it really doesn't.

And assuming you get the risk to a 5/25 and can personally justify it somehow you've still got to look at all that and realise a skeptical council employee trained to dream up worst case scenarios in everything proposed for a living is going to be viewing that proposal and determining whether or not he thinks it's a good idea...this is a guy who has by this point almost certainly proposed a report to his superiors about what they can do to fix the potential trip hazards of guide ropes in the campsite and that's the guy who you have to convince.

WT brought their gas powered flame things to the tent when they played Download, and Hell set off loads of stuff in the tiny Darwin Suite in the Assembly Rooms. Having a trained crew reduces the risk significantly - lots of pyro burns very fast and is not sustained, and the backdrops and tents should be fire retardant to stop short flames from igniting it.

The local fire brigade did serve notice on Green Day after they set fire to their backdrop at Leeds fest, after they ignited their guitars using lighter fluid and started flinging them round. The officer who did it seemed pleased a punch when he told the story.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

patrickransom
Definitely Not Nu

Postby patrickransom » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:49 am

Seeing how well RC went down last year, a black metal 2nd stage headliner would be pretty good. Probably not the most popular option but what about Mayhem? Dont know how good they are like live to be fair.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:51 am

Chugging Pus wrote:
fluffkitten wrote:Tyr have said they aren't playing BOA next year when a few people have asked at recent gigs. :( Even with a one hour slot I'd be very surprised at Hell in the tent.

I thought a chap on here said they spoke to him and said they were playing? :?

Had seen that but since then a couple of Rock Soc people have been told by Tyr's singer that they're not playing.

Chugging Pus
Paster of Muppets

Postby Chugging Pus » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:54 am

Possible he's had to cover his back as it got put online?

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:57 am

Chugging Pus wrote:Possible he's had to cover his back as it got put online?

That's possible, and I hope so because I really want them at BOA.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:57 am

patrickransom wrote:Seeing how well RC went down last year, a black metal 2nd stage headliner would be pretty good. Probably not the most popular option but what about Mayhem? Dont know how good they are like live to be fair.

I love Mayhem so yes

patrickransom
Definitely Not Nu

Postby patrickransom » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:13 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:
patrickransom wrote:Seeing how well RC went down last year, a black metal 2nd stage headliner would be pretty good. Probably not the most popular option but what about Mayhem? Dont know how good they are like live to be fair.

I love Mayhem so yes

Always thought black metal would work better in the tent, bands like Dark Funeral playing in the middle of the day always takes away from their performance in my opinion, just me i guess

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:24 pm

Mayhem were garbage when they played the other year, I'd rather the slot was used for a band that are good live.
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry