3%
Classic Rock
7%

Total votes: 165

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Re: What does Bloodstock need?

Postby Kanwulf » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:24 pm

There has been a few gems from M2TM like The Infernal Sea and Old Corpse Road but otherwise its pretty shit

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Were they booked through the M2TM though? Because not all the New Blood stage bands are.

I agree that there are some good bands in the M2TM. But it's still full of uninspiring Groove and Sludge.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Power metal far out in front, well guess you lot were serious about it :lol:

Gandalf the Red wrote:We haven't had the M2TM yet. :lol:

Isn't Rob Zombie's solo stuff partially Groove Metal?

Can't stand the stuff personally. It just seems to be music for knuckleheads. :lol:

Rob Zombie's stuff is nowhere near groove metal, It's more heavy rock than anything.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:36 pm

The Wiki pages say Groove Metal without any mention of Heavy Rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellbilly_Deluxe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinister_Urge_(album)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educated_Horses

It's not like I'm going to listen to any of them to disprove anything. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

dugout
Lowly Peon

Postby dugout » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:39 pm

acid reign

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:45 pm

I listen to him on and off, and before you mentioned it, if anyone would of asked me to describe his music I would of never said groove metal....

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:56 pm

Well White Zombie was definately groove metal, and the solo stuff is hard to categorize but definately has some groove metal in there, its not that dissimilar to White Zombie

King Penda
Powermetal Child

Postby King Penda » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:44 pm

What does BOA need?

To stop trying to be Download/Sonisphere lite, seriously biggest thing ever!

The beauty of BOA is that it tried succesfully to do something different, i`m very against the festival bringing in Kerrang/MH bands

When you get a band announcement it needs to not be `oh no,not them again` or `who asked for them on the wishlist?` but `hey thats cool, they havent played the UK in years` or `that`ll get the crowd going see you down the front`
I dont want to see Metallica at BOA, but maybe if they did an acoustic set of Diamond head covers well thats interesting, same with Maiden i`d rather see Bruce solo set, in the end the usual Download headliner of Metallica/Maiden/ACDC/Aerosmith/Slipknot is going to get very very stale if it already isnt-how many Classic bands have still to headline BOA? Priest, Scorpions, Manowar, Mercyful Fate let alone the re-booked ones(WASP!) and the upcoming names.

Folk/Pagan/Trad/Power/Death/Black/Doom or whatever ,To be quite honest I think a good mix is vital, thank goodnes there are three excellent stages also if you dont like one genre(Although a bit to much Death/Black for me last year)

Also never consider the 666 thing again unless your thinking of mentioning Diamond/Fate, Danzig or Venom.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:17 pm

The 666 thing coulda worked for any Black Metal band or Slayer really.

Or just to be snide.... Megadeth :P

dugout
Lowly Peon

Postby dugout » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Acid reign - dark Angel , nuclear assault and acid reign - now that's a bill

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:55 am

King Penda wrote:What does BOA need?

To stop trying to be Download/Sonisphere lite, seriously biggest thing ever!

The beauty of BOA is that it tried succesfully to do something different, i`m very against the festival bringing in Kerrang/MH bands

When you get a band announcement it needs to not be `oh no,not them again` or `who asked for them on the wishlist?` but `hey thats cool, they havent played the UK in years` or `that`ll get the crowd going see you down the front`
I dont want to see Metallica at BOA, but maybe if they did an acoustic set of Diamond head covers well thats interesting, same with Maiden i`d rather see Bruce solo set, in the end the usual Download headliner of Metallica/Maiden/ACDC/Aerosmith/Slipknot is going to get very very stale if it already isnt-how many Classic bands have still to headline BOA? Priest, Scorpions, Manowar, Mercyful Fate let alone the re-booked ones(WASP!) and the upcoming names.

Folk/Pagan/Trad/Power/Death/Black/Doom or whatever ,To be quite honest I think a good mix is vital, thank goodnes there are three excellent stages also if you dont like one genre(Although a bit to much Death/Black for me last year)

Also never consider the 666 thing again unless your thinking of mentioning Diamond/Fate, Danzig or Venom.

Very good points, completely agree, and like you say there are plenty of Classics too choose from whether new or returning, and a good mix of all the genres is important. I think maybe just the festival buisness is different now to what it used to be, so maybe they have to have all the Kerrang/MH bands too make it successful.

King Penda
Powermetal Child

Postby King Penda » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:06 am

Ones off`s and specials keep it interesting too

Metallica for instance playing a request show or a certain album in its entireity to something like Uriah Heep doing it totally Acoustic
Get Iommi and Gillan to do a one off Sabbath show as `Digital Bitch` or something playing songs from `Born again` etc , it keeps it all interesting.

Megadeth last year werent interesting, very much for me their usual greatest hits package devoid of emotion-shows how much they rated their new album when the only track off it was a Thin Lizzy cover! BOA is a very special show to UK concert goers couldnt Dave have thrown in Mary jane or Rattlehead at least?

Fair play to the likes of Saxon, everytime Ive seen them live yep they play a few Greatest hits but theres always a curve ball not the same set every night-even at BOA last year Battalions of steel got an airing

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:54 pm

King Penda wrote:Ones off`s and specials keep it interesting too

Metallica for instance playing a request show or a certain album in its entireity to something like Uriah Heep doing it totally Acoustic
Get Iommi and Gillan to do a one off Sabbath show as `Digital Bitch` or something playing songs from `Born again` etc , it keeps it all interesting.

Megadeth last year werent interesting, very much for me their usual greatest hits package devoid of emotion-shows how much they rated their new album when the only track off it was a Thin Lizzy cover! BOA is a very special show to UK concert goers couldnt Dave have thrown in Mary jane or Rattlehead at least?

Fair play to the likes of Saxon, everytime Ive seen them live yep they play a few Greatest hits but theres always a curve ball not the same set every night-even at BOA last year Battalions of steel got an airing

Yeah but you've got to realise bloodstock is special to the punters not necessairly the bands. I imagine Mustaine sees it as just another fest (not knocking Mustaine here) as he has no reason not to. Saxon have a relationship with BOA as they booked them to headline in its first year when Saxon were struggling, so Saxon will see BOA differently to Megadeth. Same with Machine Head, was their first UK festival headline set so it was special to them.

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:41 pm

It's all subjective though.

Megadeth were great at this years and a greatest hits set for lack of a better term was the right way to go. When there's question mars over how they'd perform, why air a tracks from an album that many consider sub standard and many more would be unfamiliar with?

I agree there shouldn't bee too many commercial bands but would suggest it's good for the festival to have 2 or 3 depending what slots the are in.

Whether it's popular with metal hammer readers etc or not is one thing but metal is still metal and Bloodstock needs to cater for all genres of it.

Also the coverage they get from Metal Hammer and Scuzz has seemed to increase year on year, which as well as additional punters likely brings in decent sponsorship opportunities for the festival. These would likely only continue if there's a few MH bands in the line ups.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

King Penda
Powermetal Child

Postby King Penda » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Maybe i`m too old School but this is the UK,

Not only did we give Zep, Purple, Priest, Sabs, UFO, Queen, Maiden, Heep etc etc to the world
and every other argument from Dio`s `holy diver` being recorded here to Manowar forming at Newcastle City hall
This is a Hard Rock/Heavy Metal country ! Theres enough bands in the above list for artists to really give a crap

Megadeth came on this year with a sound weaker than Coldplay, all around me was apathy ("why dont they play this" etc), the connection with the crowd was minimal as was the effort maybe they just had problems following artists like Saxon and Amon Amarth who could be arsed to connect with the crowd and felt very privileged to be part of a very special festival.
Had Dave mentioned thanks to everyone for waiting to see us through all that crap weather and here`s one weve not played since 1988 were bringing it back just for BOA-its called class.

Yes Maybe your right about catering to all genres though, Bloodstock can next year have its own `False metal tent` for all the Kerrang stuff