3%
Classic Rock
7%

Total votes: 165

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: What does Bloodstock need?

Postby Bearstock » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:48 pm

Ive never really got what is supposed to be post rock to be fair.

3 bands Ive seen it used for most often being Alexisonfire, Taking Back Sunday (thought they were emo?) and Glassjaw (heard them as emo and screamo too)

So is it basically that? Post Rock/ Shoegaze/ Shit ?
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Yeah, basically. Supposed to be "rock music played in a non-rock manner" or some such. I like the odd bit here and there but for the most part I tend to think it's tedious, pretentious guff really.
Mind you, I'm also mildly irritated by the grouping together of doom, stoner and sludge. Sludge in particular has very little in common with traditional doom, other than the slow pace (and most trad doom isn't really that slow, as per the examples in my previous post) and is more related to hardcore. I think I'm just an ever increasingly grumpy bastard really.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:33 am

Bearstock wrote:Ive never really got what is supposed to be post rock to be fair.

3 bands Ive seen it used for most often being Alexisonfire, Taking Back Sunday (thought they were emo?) and Glassjaw (heard them as emo and screamo too)

So is it basically that? Post Rock/ Shoegaze/ Shit ?

None of those are really what I'd call post rock, not even remotely (although I will admit I've barely heard Glassjaw.

These are more what I class as Post-Rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNRhAPyFFus (Maybeshewill)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDdTpVrcNvQ (Russian Circles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zog-66VbFRQ (Her Name is Calla)
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:45 am

I don't really understand this thread, is it meant to be what I personally like best, or what the festival needs? Surely all of the above should be represented. Also why does everyone always slate Groove Metal? Is has a right to be there surely. Power and Folk Metal aren't my cup of tea, but can understand they are a legitimate sub genre that alot of people want and should be represented on the line up.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:17 am

If people want Groove Metal, they would be better off at Download or Sonisphere. We dont need it infecting an already declining BOA lineup.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:15 am

If a band doesn't admit the are post-rock then they probably are.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:50 am

post-rock and shoegaze are completely different things.

Shoegaze is guitar driven music, usually within noise-rock or dreampop that primarily focuses on using lots of effects and pedals to create blissful/heavy walls of noise - because musicians tend too be looking at their pedals a lot while playing it got dubbed shoegaze. It's status as a genre is a bit misleading as it's more of a performance technique, and cocteau twins don't really sound like a place to bury strangers (then again, do thergothon sound like hammerfall?) Emphasis is taken away from the vocals so they're usually distorted/low in the mix/deliberately incomprehensible to the point the voice is an instrument itself and not a tool for the lyrics. Not many bands ever did it right, but My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins, All Natural Lemon & Lime Flavors and Slowdive are some of my favourites. The slowdive reunion this year made me really happy, seen them twice, seeing them once more.

post-rock is just bland "atmospheric" nonsense that doesn't go anywhere
Last edited by jwh20 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:08 pm

Warlock wrote:I don't really understand this thread, is it meant to be what I personally like best, or what the festival needs? Surely all of the above should be represented. Also why does everyone always slate Groove Metal? Is has a right to be there surely. Power and Folk Metal aren't my cup of tea, but can understand they are a legitimate sub genre that alot of people want and should be represented on the line up.

It was supposed to be what the festival is lacking in. But it seems people are probably just voting for their favourite sub genres. Like it really needs more Death and Thrash when half the line up consists of those genres. :rolleyes:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:It was supposed to be what the festival is lacking in. But it seems people are probably just voting for their favourite sub genres. Like it really needs more Death and Thrash when half the line up consists of those genres. :rolleyes:

Well so far there's no doom and only one "female fronted metal" band. Can we combine the two and get Subrosa?

Another gothic/symphonic band would be nice, preferably Delain or The Sirens, bit of doom, bit of grind, and some power metal so I can have a nap ;)

Killing_time
Paster of Muppets

Postby Killing_time » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:42 pm

jwh20 wrote:post-rock and shoegaze are completely different things.

Shoegaze is guitar driven music, usually within noise-rock or dreampop that primarily focuses on using lots of effects and pedals to create blissful/heavy walls of noise - because musicians tend too be looking at their pedals a lot while playing it got dubbed shoegaze. It's status as a genre is a bit misleading as it's more of a performance technique, and cocteau twins don't really sound like a place to bury strangers (then again, do thergothon sound like hammerfall?) Emphasis is taken away from the vocals so they're usually distorted/low in the mix/deliberately incomprehensible to the point the voice is an instrument itself and not a tool for the lyrics. Not many bands ever did it right, but My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins, All Natural Lemon & Lime Flavors and Slowdive are some of my favourites. The slowdive reunion this year made me really happy, seen them twice, seeing them once more.

They're not completely different things they are pretty much the same! Shoegaze doesn't really exist anymore and Post Rock/Metal kinda took over from it in the early 00's. Jesu would be a band that summed it up also most of Anathema's back catalouge would come under Shoegaze/Post Rock as well as Experimental Rock

Death to Power Pop!! It should go down with the sinking ship that is Download festival.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Killing_time wrote:
jwh20 wrote:post-rock and shoegaze are completely different things.

They're not completely different things they are pretty much the same! Shoegaze doesn't really exist anymore and Post Rock/Metal kinda took over from it in the early 00's. Jesu would be a band that summed it up also most of Anathema's back catalouge would come under Shoegaze/Post Rock as well as Experimental Rock

Jesu combined the two with mixed results, and Anathema have never done anything thst could be considered to be either!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LseSx_hPJyQ

Sound anything like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aLjup934Rk

Not really. Take the delay out of post-rock and there's bugger all going on.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:53 am

Blake_Porter wrote:If people want Groove Metal, they would be better off at Download or Sonisphere. We dont need it infecting an already declining BOA lineup.

Why though? Groove Metal is a type of Metal music, and this is a Metal festival! Why would it infect and further decline the line up? Because you don't like it?

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Warlock wrote:I don't really understand this thread, is it meant to be what I personally like best, or what the festival needs? Surely all of the above should be represented. Also why does everyone always slate Groove Metal? Is has a right to be there surely. Power and Folk Metal aren't my cup of tea, but can understand they are a legitimate sub genre that alot of people want and should be represented on the line up.

It was supposed to be what the festival is lacking in. But it seems people are probably just voting for their favourite sub genres. Like it really needs more Death and Thrash when half the line up consists of those genres. :rolleyes:

Ah right yeah I can see that being the case! I know what I'm supposed to be voting on now! I'm lucky though because Thrash and Death are my favourites!

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:57 am

Also I noticed several styles are missing, like others have said Doom Metal, but also - Grindcore, Stoner, Sludge, Metalcore, Deathcore and Melodic Death

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:03 am

I created the thread because lots of other threads had a lot of people moaning about the lack of genre X power metal and folk metal but shhh we don't want to point fingers at Skippy :P and oversaturated with genre Y so I wanted to see what people thought would improve Bloodstock next year. The poll was what I wanted to see most but the discussion/slagging matches are interesting too.

I was limited to 15 sub-genres (accidentally only put 14) but I wanted to be as broad as possible (and linked to what BOA has booked a lot of in the past) so I had to omit some, Doom being the notable exception it seems. I put Shoegaze because Alcest went down really well in '12 and figured people would vote for it when offered.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:16 am

houston4044 wrote:

I created the thread because lots of other threads had a lot of people moaning about the lack of genre X power metal and folk metal but shhh we don't want to point fingers at Skippy :P and oversaturated with genre Y so I wanted to see what people thought would improve Bloodstock next year. The poll was what I wanted to see most but the discussion/slagging matches are interesting too.

I was limited to 15 sub-genres (accidentally only put 14) but I wanted to be as broad as possible (and linked to what BOA has booked a lot of in the past) so I had to omit some, Doom being the notable exception it seems. I put Shoegaze because Alcest went down really well in '12 and figured people would vote for it when offered.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying! And that explains the missing genres, yeah you could put those sub genres I mentioned in with the the ones you put, so makes sense! I don't really know what 'Shoegaze' Metal is either, only band I can think of is My Bloody Valentine. I voted for Power, Traditional and Black, first 2 because there lacking and Black Metal because its probably my third favourite after Death and Thrash, and can't really see BOA getting much Industrial, especially as Groove is seen as controversial!