3%
Classic Rock
7%

Total votes: 165

houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: What does Bloodstock need?

Postby houston4044 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:09 am

Bearstock wrote:It's all subjective though.

Megadeth were great at this years and a greatest hits set for lack of a better term was the right way to go. When there's question mars over how they'd perform, why air a tracks from an album that many consider sub standard and many more would be unfamiliar with?

I agree there shouldn't bee too many commercial bands but would suggest it's good for the festival to have 2 or 3 depending what slots the are in.

Whether it's popular with metal hammer readers etc or not is one thing but metal is still metal and Bloodstock needs to cater for all genres of it.

Also the coverage they get from Metal Hammer and Scuzz has seemed to increase year on year, which as well as additional punters likely brings in decent sponsorship opportunities for the festival. These would likely only continue if there's a few MH bands in the line ups.

They only played 3 songs (1 a Thin Lizzy cover which would appeal to a wider audience than just Megadeth's) from their last 2 widely considered sub-par albums/ But I think Megadeth found the right balance between promoting the newer stuff and playing older songs. If they did abandon the new songs then

A) They then pretty much bury any hopes of further sales
B) Show they have no faith in their new material (which has knock on effects)
C) Risk having to trot out a greatest hits set everytime a new album bombs making their setlists stale after awhile.

King Penda wrote:Maybe i`m too old School but this is the UK,

Not only did we give Zep, Purple, Priest, Sabs, UFO, Queen, Maiden, Heep etc etc to the world
and every other argument from Dio`s `holy diver` being recorded here to Manowar forming at Newcastle City hall
This is a Hard Rock/Heavy Metal country ! Theres enough bands in the above list for artists to really give a crap

Megadeth came on this year with a sound weaker than Coldplay, all around me was apathy ("why dont they play this" etc), the connection with the crowd was minimal as was the effort maybe they just had problems following artists like Saxon and Amon Amarth who could be arsed to connect with the crowd and felt very privileged to be part of a very special festival.
Had Dave mentioned thanks to everyone for waiting to see us through all that crap weather and here`s one weve not played since 1988 were bringing it back just for BOA-its called class.

Yes Maybe your right about catering to all genres though, Bloodstock can next year have its own `False metal tent` for all the Kerrang stuff

Quite a few points here

1) Not every band is the same live, some bands like to keep talking to a minimum and let the music do the talking; it obviously works because Megadeth are big and have managed to last 30+ years but yeah, it kind of makes them pale when you put them next to an act that does interact. He did attempt some banter so you can't knock him for lack of trying.

2) I'd imagine every artist would try to give a crap every show regardless of where because well, people paid to see them and live shows are the cash cow now; so purposefully not giving a crap isn't a viable business model (unless your Marylin Manson or Axl Rose)

3) People are going to complain about setlists anyway (even Metallica's by request which let you have a choice in the matter) Megadeth weren't alone in that, best a band can do is try to please everyone but won't succeed.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:20 am

I actually prefer it when the interaction with the crowd is kept to a minimum, especially if its the cheesy cliche stuff that bands still do!

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:46 am

When it comes to crowd interaction it can be done fairly simply and casually. A lot of bands seem more inclined to mostly play and throw in a few, "thank you for coming out" "How're you fucking doing?" "this is our last song..... ok one more" standard stuff.

I'm fine with that.

Much better than other bands who spend so much time pissing about with the crowd they almost veer off into a conversation with one another and it's like the songs are an after thought.

Is where the showmanship and controlling the stage comes into play I guess though, Iron maiden and Hell spring to ind for engaging a crowd successfully making them feel a part of things at festivals. In my view anyways.

I wouldn't want a bunch of mainstream stuff, is annoying enough we've arguably got two headlining this year although Rob Zombie is a bit on the fence.

Would say get the terminology right though. Metal Hammer bands, Scuzz bands fine.

Kerrang bands are a whole other kettle of shit.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:26 am

Yeah I agree, pisses me off when they spend ages yacking when they could play a song!
I'd of thought Rob Zombie is just as mainstream if not more so than Within Temptation, the latter being more of a traditional Bloodstock band. Most bands apear in all those magazines though at some point, guess some are promoted more in some than others, completely different if you mean the tv channels though

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:49 am

Most of you complain when Dave speaks and the rest complain when he doesn't. He can't win. :lol:

I love it when he has a good old rant personally. But it seemed like he was on his best behaviour.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:59 am

Poor old Dave :lol: was it just me or did they play Holy Wars twice? Wasn't really watching them properly was at the bar, and seen them quite a few times

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:09 am

“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:25 am

Ah right :lol: that hobgoblin must have been strong!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:06 pm

Warlock wrote:Poor old Dave :lol: was it just me or did they play Holy Wars twice? Wasn't really watching them properly was at the bar, and seen them quite a few times

They sometimes reprise the main riff/chorus at the end of shows, but I don't think they did at Bloodstock if I remember correctly (Dave seemed too busy air-guitaring to my way I think :lol: )

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:23 pm

It must be either that or they have 2 songs I confused with each other!

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:25 am

Or maybe you were just drunk? :P

Honestly I dont know because I passed out just after Biohazard and missed the rest of the fest although, I despise Megadeth so wouldn't have watched them anyway lol

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:03 am

Haha maybe :lol: wow that's impressive, you must have started early, they were one of the first bands I saw that day! I like Megadeths older stuff, but they have some real rubbish ie Sweating Bullets, dreadful song and havent really liked them since that album

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:10 am

Not a lot of love for Megadeth in various places on this forum recently.

Fucking love them myself :yes:
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Chugging Pus
Paster of Muppets

Postby Chugging Pus » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:01 am

My opinions on Megadeth are simple.

- Old albums are brilliant
- New albums are toss
- Live shows I've seen have been cracking
- Who cares about the shit he comes out with, it's about the music
"What we're having here is a secret conversation, and I'm hoping that this time, you can keep the fucking secret, because normally you're about as secure as a hymen in a South London comprehensive."

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:44 am

Dave Mustaine's angry libertarian rants are part of the fun these days!
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock