Sunday Special Guest

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Beardy
I am the Law!

Re: Sunday Special Guest

Postby Beardy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:06 am

I've been suggesting Paragon since the days of the indoor, if they haven't been booked by now I can't see it ever happening. Turbo are somewhat on the obscure side in this country, not to mention that the majority of their songs are sung in Polish so they don't really qualify as the kind of "singalong" band that most PM fans, certainly on here in any case, seem to want.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:29 am

Soze wrote:I'm a huge fan of Cradle up to Midian and, tbh, apart from Thornography I don't think they've ever made a bad album. Just that their later stuff isn't very memorable. I saw them at Hellfest the same year they got bottled off at Bloodstock and they were brilliant, played to a huge, receptive crowd. I have no idea why us Brits get so arsey about the band.

I'm a huge fan of the first 4 albums, but I found Midian a slightly dissappointment, but I agree most of their albums are decent, Damnation And A Day and Thornography are the only ones I don't like. Nympethamine and Godspeed On The Devi's Thunder were both excellent imo, and I found the last one, The Maticore And Other Horrors surprisingly good.

As regards them being special guests on the Sunday though.....hmmmm. I'm not so sure, their popularity seems to have fallen quite a bit over here, at the Forum gig in 2012 it was nowhere near full, and at the 2014 gig the entire crowd seemed their to see Behemoth and not bothered about COF. Also they've gone seriously downhill as a live act imo these days, although they play pretty much dream set lists for me of all the old stuff, Dani can't do the screams any more and they always seem to have such a crap sound that it's difficult to tell the songs apart. It's dissappointing, because I remember them being an absolutely phenomenal live act the times I saw them at the Astoria around 1997/1998 time.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:44 am

At the gates killed it last week, and they're the only band I can think of that I like which are big enough for special guest and wouldn't go down better in the sophie tent like Electric Wizard, My Dying Bride, Autopsy etc.

Two power metal special guests would be a bit meh to me, but if they got a good band on sophie/new blood at the same time it doesn't really matter much!

Chugging Pus
Paster of Muppets

Postby Chugging Pus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:00 am

They weren't even special guests in 2011 so I highly doubt they'd manage it now. New album potential slot jump I imagine being cancelled out by now doing a UK tour so not so rare over here.
"What we're having here is a secret conversation, and I'm hoping that this time, you can keep the fucking secret, because normally you're about as secure as a hymen in a South London comprehensive."

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:26 am

They can pretend theyre disbanding again :P

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:29 am

Chugging Pus wrote:They weren't even special guests in 2011 so I highly doubt they'd manage it now. New album potential slot jump I imagine being cancelled out by now doing a UK tour so not so rare over here.

Fair enough. Would be nice to see them on the bill though at least, quality live act.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:07 am

It won't be Devin alas, he's said he's taking a year off after the royal albert hall show :( Plus I'd hope he'd been seen as a headliner by now :yes:

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:42 am

houston4044 wrote:It won't be Devin alas, he's said he's taking a year off after the royal albert hall show :( Plus I'd hope he'd been seen as a headliner by now :yes:

If there's anyone who deserves to take a break it's definitely Devin Townsend. I'm so glad I managed to sort a ticket to the albert hall show. If he gets Anneke to play that show then that's my two favourite singers on the same stage! Seen Devin twice and Anneke 6 times but never together! (And if she does play that show, after masters of rock I'll have seen her 12 times!)

Because of the frequency of his shows I don't think he'd ever be seen as a headliner, sepcially as a good proportion of SYL fans don't like his new direction.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:47 am

jwh20 wrote:
houston4044 wrote:It won't be Devin alas, he's said he's taking a year off after the royal albert hall show :( Plus I'd hope he'd been seen as a headliner by now :yes:

If there's anyone who deserves to take a break it's definitely Devin Townsend. I'm so glad I managed to sort a ticket to the albert hall show. If he gets Anneke to play that show then that's my two favourite singers on the same stage! Seen Devin twice and Anneke 6 times but never together! (And if she does play that show, after masters of rock I'll have seen her 12 times!)

Because of the frequency of his shows I don't think he'd ever be seen as a headliner, sepcially as a good proportion of SYL fans don't like his new direction.

I'll see you at the Royal Albert Hall :yes: I think he could headline after his break, he manages to play decent sized venues now even though he tours a lot so a year off will increase demand. Plus I'll imagine he'll spin it into some kind of special event so fans will feel they have to go.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:59 am

At the moment I've only got a seated ticket...He does have a way with promotion! All his albums come out in like 6/7 different formats it seems these days, and usually does VIP deals with his shows. Special event - Play Terria in full...

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Devin isn't taking a year off.

Since he said that's he said that he said that when he was jaded and that he cant take a year off anyway with a band on salary and bills to pay

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:04 pm

houston4044 wrote:
jwh20 wrote:It won't be Devin alas, he's said he's taking a year off after the royal albert hall show :( Plus I'd hope he'd been seen as a headliner by now :yes:

I'd argue that the number of DTP fans vastly outweigh the number of SYL fans, so I don't see that as an issue. Since his last appearance he's only grown in popularity, and even though he plays the UK often, he manages to keep it fresh enough because of the amount of new music he releases.
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:39 am

cheesemason wrote:Devin isn't taking a year off.

Since he said that's he said that he said that when he was jaded and that he cant take a year off anyway with a band on salary and bills to pay

Oh right I hadn't caught that bit. I wouldn't think he'd take a special guest slot now though surely; he maybe smaller than RZ but he'd be in the same slot as 2011 and he's grown a lot since then (so has the festival to be fair) but I'd of thought he could pull off a smaller/more cult headliner easy one year.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:07 am

If Devin having a few years away means we might get him headlining when he comes back, then I'm all for it.

Another suggestion for the sub - In Flames?

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:37 am

Haldamir319 wrote:
Another suggestion for the sub - In Flames?

Could see them dropping down the bill like Lacuna Coil and CoB if they played again.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11