Sunday Special Guest

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Sunday Special Guest

Postby houston4044 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:17 am

Warlock wrote:
Bearstock wrote:I think the big issue with Venom being high up the bill is they're one of those bands whom seem more well known than they actually are.

By that I mean you'll hear their name a lot but hardly ever hear any of their songs unless you make a point of listening to them.

Maybe but Bloodstock is meant to be for more serious Metal fans as oppose to casual fans that just hear whats covered in the media, genre defining bands should be at the top (not necessarily headliner) in my opinion

Yes...Bloodstock is for serious metal fans....the fest that has Trivium and Rob Zombie headlining.... :P

Problem with "genre defining" bands is that it's a very subjective term, I think Skeletonwitch helped re-define/defined blackened thrash, should they play 3rd now?

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Well headliners aside it looks like a pretty serious line up to me! And I said its meant to be for serious fans :P and no Black Metal is a much bigger and broader sub genre than Blackened Thrash lol if I meant that then pretty much every other band would be at the top! Would be very happy with Skeleton Witch there though! :yes:

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:49 pm

Warlock wrote:Well headliners aside it looks like a pretty serious line up to me! And I said its meant to be for serious fans :P and no Black Metal is a much bigger and broader sub genre than Blackened Thrash lol if I meant that then pretty much every other band would be at the top! Would be very happy with Skeleton Witch there though! :yes:

Skeletonwitch were amazing at BOA11 but I just cannot get into them on record for whatever reason.

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:08 pm

Skeletonwitch are a decent band but they're far from being a genre defining one. Now, if you'd said that Desaster were/are a defining black/thrash band...

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:44 pm

Beardy wrote:Skeletonwitch are a decent band but they're far from being a genre defining one. Now, if you'd said that Desaster were/are a defining black/thrash band...

Aura Noir, Destroyer 666 and Gospel of Horns :rock: :rock:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:49 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:
Beardy wrote:Skeletonwitch are a decent band but they're far from being a genre defining one. Now, if you'd said that Desaster were/are a defining black/thrash band...

Aura Noir, Destroyer 666 and Gospel of Horns :rock: :rock:

Only know Aura Noir out of that lot, to youtube! loves me some thrash :rock:

Was more an example, damn your vaster knowledge :lol:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:Skeletonwitch were amazing at BOA11 but I just cannot get into them on record for whatever reason.

Really? I'm the complete opposite. I think their studio output is OK but thought they were abysmal at Bloodstock.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:38 pm

I think Skeletonwitch are amazing both on record and live, the only problem I encounter with them on record is that after awhile it can get repetitive (think thats down to the constant screaming vocals though).

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:44 pm

I'd never actually heard any of their recorded output before their BOA performance, which I did enjoy a lot. They are pretty second division as far as black/thrash goes as far as I'm concerned though.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:40 am

Beardy wrote:I'd never actually heard any of their recorded output before their BOA performance, which I did enjoy a lot. They are pretty second division as far as black/thrash goes as far as I'm concerned though.

That's like the best thing I've seen you put about a band :P

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:50 am

You should start posting about better bands then :P

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Tet wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:Skeletonwitch were amazing at BOA11 but I just cannot get into them on record for whatever reason.

Really? I'm the complete opposite. I think their studio output is OK but thought they were abysmal at Bloodstock.

Skeletonwitch were absolutely on fire at BOA 11, you're the only person I've heard say anything negative about them. Grave Digger's terrible performance after them just highlighted how awesome Skeltonwitch had been.

On record I like them but find them a bit samey - Beyond The Permafrost is absolutely brilliant, but I haven't been keen on the 3 albums after that.

mathewxentrix88
Leather Rebel

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:37 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Tet wrote:

Skeletonwitch were absolutely on fire at BOA 11, you're the only person I've heard say anything negative about them. Grave Digger's terrible performance after them just highlighted how awesome Skeltonwitch had been.

On record I like them but find them a bit samey - Beyond The Permafrost is absolutely brilliant, but I haven't been keen on the 3 albums after that.

Skeletonwitch were indeed very good at Bloodstock (as were Gravedigger irredeemably poor).The last Skeletonwitch album "Serpents Unleashed" is amazing though.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:13 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Tet wrote:

Really? I'd say Permafrost is one of their weaker records, BTF, FA and SU far surpass it.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:08 am

houston4044 wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:Skeletonwitch were absolutely on fire at BOA 11, you're the only person I've heard say anything negative about them. Grave Digger's terrible performance after them just highlighted how awesome Skeltonwitch had been.

Really? I'd say Permafrost is one of their weaker records, BTF, FA and SU far surpass it.

hmmmm, I need to give Serpents Uprising another chance as it seemed like an improvement on the last 2 and I've only listened to it a few times.

But I don't really rate Breathing The Fire and Forever Abominations, imo Beyond The Perrmafrost was a masterpiece and the 2 after were just inferior versions of it.