How BOA is changing through the years

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Warlock
Leather Rebel

Re: How BOA is changing through the years

Postby Warlock » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:52 am

Killing_time wrote:They seem to have avoided Power Pop the past two years which is a great thing because it isn't Metal! unfortunatley they are replacing it with other Pop like bands like Within Temptation but not in a great deal so it's ok.

The festival needs more Doom and Black Metal though

What is power pop? Lol nah they need more thrash and death! :P

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:13 am

I'm not sure what Power Pop is but I fear it is as bad as nu metal :B
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:33 am

KillingTime is deliberately provocative/a troll, powerpop is his dismissive way of saying power metal.

Dimmu Borgir...are not mainstream. To me, mainstream is something that could be played on the radio during the day or come on a random pub jukebox without raising too much of an eyebrow. Dimmu would.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:49 am

Soze wrote:KillingTime is deliberately provocative/a troll, powerpop is his dismissive way of saying power metal.

Dimmu Borgir...are not mainstream. To me, mainstream is something that could be played on the radio during the day or come on a random pub jukebox without raising too much of an eyebrow. Dimmu would.

Ha ha. That reminds me of Friday in the pub.

Two blokes aged about 60 were standing at the bar talking and listening to whatever was on the jukebox. Marc Bolan, Queen, Bon Jovi, then Postmortem came on and I've never seen anyone neck a pint and leave so quickly in my life. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Korthkor
Warrior of Metal
Location: Ghaarenkor (town), Uttorutrothokor (region), Karthon (nation), Ulaan (planet), Mulahai (star system)

Postby Korthkor » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:05 pm

Not including the headliners, Bloodstock are as wildly unpredictable in the bookings as ever. Since BOA 2010, I can count on one hand the number of bands that I have genuinely, 100% enjoyed without a fault - The factors here being the setlist, length of time on stage, sound being clear enough to tell one song from another etc. The last three years in particular have been pretty devoid of the sort of bands that initially drew me to the festival in the first place, but then this years announcements rolled around, and the three bands that drew me to BOA 2010 (Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Cannibal Corpse) have all been announced, and they're even playing in roughly the same time slots as they were in 2010.

For about four years now I've been a broken record over the lack of main stage Folk, and all of a sudden a festival that had slowly become a 'get hammered with your mates in some fields' instead of a 'music' festival adds some of my favorite bands to the lineup, and I'm here getting all nostalgic. Are Bloodstock also going to arrange a thunderstorm to start the Thursday afternoon?

I've only seen two headliners in six BOA's, so I'm not in any position to comment on them, but for me the worst change I've seen at the festival is the rise of what I've come to call ''the arsehole factor''. It used to be the case that you could have a wonder around Midgard and generally get to know just about any group that you could find, the last three years I've found that folks are much less inclined to be friendly to folks outside their immediate social group - and That's even when you've got a crate of beer at hand. I know it's long odds, but maybe I've just been stumbling into pretentious sorts, but they're not the ones who are bothering me.

It's the occasional chavvy-shite begging for a 'quid' in the campsite, the boy who's so out of place at the festival that he calls you a 'sicko' for wearing a Cannibal Corpse T-Shirt, the trio of blokes on the thursday who walk past your campsite along the path following a girl who's all by herself while calling her a fat C*nt and joking how they all want to fuck her. It's this shite that's putting me off Bloodstock year after year, and the last three things I mentioned all happened this year gone. There hasn't been a day in the last three festivals where I haven't had the misfortune of seeing people acting like total and utter scumbags to the point where the wife had to employ some powerful persuasion to stop me from utterly battering somebody. There has been a shift in the demographic, it may be small, but it's gotten to the point where I'm never relaxed at Bloodstock anymore, kind of the same feeling you get around dodgy council estates.

So long as they put one or two bands on every year that I can go nutters to, I'm happy. Just don't like to see so many squalid types loitering about the place and generally making me feel uncomfortable.
I looked into the eye of the fish.

BOA 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Hammerfest 12, 13, 14, 15
BEER, BEER, BEERMAGEDDON! 14'

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:18 pm

I noticed a group a couple of years ago that were wandering around the arena taking the piss out of everyone. Fat baldy fuckers in their 40s. All being "let's have a photo together" then laughing at the people they've had the photos took with when they had left. Total cunts. Just as bad as those Shite Metal T-shirts twats. Then again, it probably was them.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Ha ha. That reminds me of Friday in the pub.

Two blokes aged about 60 were standing at the bar talking and listening to whatever was on the jukebox. Marc Bolan, Queen, Bon Jovi, then Postmortem came on and I've never seen anyone neck a pint and leave so quickly in my life. :lol:

Those internet jukeboxes never lasted long...I remember being very drunk with a bunch of mates and putting on Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 2112 and At War With Satan once :lol:

I do know someone who would abuse those quite mercilessly. Whereas I (in more sober circumstances) tended to choose songs which wouldn't alienate the rest of the pub he'd cheerfully put on a Burzum song and then shrug at everyone else's disgust with a 'fucks me off just as much when they put Kylie Minogue on so what's the difference?' attitude.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Soze wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Ha ha. That reminds me of Friday in the pub.

Those internet jukeboxes never lasted long...I remember being very drunk with a bunch of mates and putting on Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 2112 and At War With Satan once :lol:

I do know someone who would abuse those quite mercilessly. Whereas I (in more sober circumstances) tended to choose songs which wouldn't alienate the rest of the pub he'd cheerfully put on a Burzum song and then shrug at everyone else's disgust with a 'fucks me off just as much when they put Kylie Minogue on so what's the difference?' attitude.

Oh this is just a bog standard CD juke box, I doubt the owners would fork out for any of that modern technology. It is supposed to be a Rock pub, but does attract a lot of randoms. Funnily enough Rime Of The Ancient Mariner and 2112 are actually on it. I also think Venom maybe somewhere as well.

euantehclansman
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby euantehclansman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:51 pm

pandimensionalsuffering.bandcamp.com

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:11 pm

:lol:

It was Freebird and Bat Out Of Hell constantly in our pub. That's when it was still mainly a bikers pub. Much preferable to that Bodies song that currently gets played a lot though.

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:43 pm

Soze wrote:KillingTime is deliberately provocative/a troll, powerpop is his dismissive way of saying power metal.

I don't think mainstream is a hard and fast box, Dimmu are horrendously mainstream for a black metal band, very mainstream for an extreme metal band, as a metal band in general they're under the radar for the most part and in music in general outside of metal they're about as obscure as any other metal band who don't sell out arenas.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:46 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:I'm not sure what Power Pop is but I fear it is as bad as nu metal :B

So excellent then!? :lol:

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:00 am

Korthkor wrote:Not including the headliners, Bloodstock are as wildly unpredictable in the bookings as ever. Since BOA 2010, I can count on one hand the number of bands that I have genuinely, 100% enjoyed without a fault - The factors here being the setlist, length of time on stage, sound being clear enough to tell one song from another etc. The last three years in particular have been pretty devoid of the sort of bands that initially drew me to the festival in the first place, but then this years announcements rolled around, and the three bands that drew me to BOA 2010 (Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Cannibal Corpse) have all been announced, and they're even playing in roughly the same time slots as they were in 2010.

For about four years now I've been a broken record over the lack of main stage Folk, and all of a sudden a festival that had slowly become a 'get hammered with your mates in some fields' instead of a 'music' festival adds some of my favorite bands to the lineup, and I'm here getting all nostalgic. Are Bloodstock also going to arrange a thunderstorm to start the Thursday afternoon?

I've only seen two headliners in six BOA's, so I'm not in any position to comment on them, but for me the worst change I've seen at the festival is the rise of what I've come to call ''the arsehole factor''. It used to be the case that you could have a wonder around Midgard and generally get to know just about any group that you could find, the last three years I've found that folks are much less inclined to be friendly to folks outside their immediate social group - and That's even when you've got a crate of beer at hand. I know it's long odds, but maybe I've just been stumbling into pretentious sorts, but they're not the ones who are bothering me.

It's the occasional chavvy-shite begging for a 'quid' in the campsite, the boy who's so out of place at the festival that he calls you a 'sicko' for wearing a Cannibal Corpse T-Shirt, the trio of blokes on the thursday who walk past your campsite along the path following a girl who's all by herself while calling her a fat C*nt and joking how they all want to fuck her. It's this shite that's putting me off Bloodstock year after year, and the last three things I mentioned all happened this year gone. There hasn't been a day in the last three festivals where I haven't had the misfortune of seeing people acting like total and utter scumbags to the point where the wife had to employ some powerful persuasion to stop me from utterly battering somebody. There has been a shift in the demographic, it may be small, but it's gotten to the point where I'm never relaxed at Bloodstock anymore, kind of the same feeling you get around dodgy council estates.

So long as they put one or two bands on every year that I can go nutters to, I'm happy. Just don't like to see so many squalid types loitering about the place and generally making me feel uncomfortable.

Wow! I've not been that many times, but I've never really come across anything like that, everyone usually seems so friendly! The only thing I can think of is these idiotic kids shouting and swearing at the security that were taking the bins away after they had been 'bin jousting'. I was impressed with the overall maturity of people last year compared to the year befores Download. The Bloodstock crowd definately seemed more there for the music than Download at least.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Whilst I don't condone the behaviour towards the security, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for bin jousting. It's possibly because as far as I've seen, none of the bins have ever been damaged by it, and the only harm done is to the people choosing to put themselves up there (including me one time back in 2010).
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:07 pm

And other peoples property such as tents getting wrecked by knobheads who do things like binjousting. Anyone who says it's an innocent pastime really needs a good hard look at themselves. Or go to Alton Towers down the road if you want "fun".

Not a dig at you Dan.