How BOA is changing through the years

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: How BOA is changing through the years

Postby Skippy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:And other peoples property such as tents getting wrecked by knobheads who do things like binjousting. Anyone who says it's an innocent pastime really needs a good hard look at themselves. Or go to Alton Towers down the road if you want "fun".

Not a dig at you Dan.

I think the wrestling was worse for that to be honest. When I see it bin jousting always seems to be done on the little slip bit leading into the arena - far away from anyone's tent, causing very little harm (except to those idiots who try it). That said some of the people who are involved are the same kind of dicks who would destroy people's property.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:10 pm

I've not personally seen anyone's shit get damaged by binjousting...i won't say it hasn't happened but i've not personally seen it so i'm presuming it's pretty uncommon. The wrestling is another story entirely though don't think i've ever seen that take place without at least a couple of tents winding up under the contenders .
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:17 pm

I will bring a cheap tent and travel light!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:56 pm

Danroush wrote:Whilst I don't condone the behaviour towards the security, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for bin jousting. It's possibly because as far as I've seen, none of the bins have ever been damaged by it, and the only harm done is to the people choosing to put themselves up there (including me one time back in 2010).

Hmmmm, I remember when I saw it happening on the last day in 2013, and the the lids of the bins were sagging down and getting broken from it. And worse, every so often a lot of twats would decide to do a circle put around the bin , flying into peoples tents. I remember some big guy coming flying out of his tent at one point wanting to flatten all the idiots that were about to destroy his tent with their circle put twattery....quite within his rights really.

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:13 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:I will bring a cheap tent and travel light!

If it rains cheap tents can be your downfall. camp about 3 tents in from any given stretch of the path:
* If it gets muddy the outskirt tents usually suffer
* if the bin jousting or wrestling is on the path the outskirt tents also suffer
* if like what happened to me the other year some cunts decide to steal a bottle of ketchup and spray it up the sides of tents as they walk down the path the outskirt tents get hit
* drunk people fall on the outer tents
* people walk outside your tent more if you're on the outside, often snagging themselves on and unearthing tent pegs

I personally wouldn't camp on the outskirts again regardless of how much shit i've got or how nice my tent is.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:20 pm

cthulhu wrote:

If it rains cheap tents can be your downfall. camp about 3 tents in from any given stretch of the path:
* if the bin jousting or wrestling is on the path the outskirt tents also suffer
* if like what happened to me the other year some cunts decide to steal a bottle of ketchup and spray it up the sides of tents as they walk down the path the outskirt tents get hit
* people walk outside your tent more if you're on the outside, often snagging themselves on and unearthing tent pegs

I personally wouldn't camp on the outskirts again regardless of how much shit i've got or how nice my tent is.

And if you want to avoid all this and still want to camp right on the path head for Hel, though that's no good if you want to party.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:33 pm

fluffkitten wrote:
cthulhu wrote:

And if you want to avoid all this and still want to camp right on the path head for Hel, though that's no good if you want to party.

Depends on your definition of wanting to party, I camped in Hel 4 years in a row and had just as much fun as I did when I camped in other sites. Difference was I could actually get to sleep at night and wasn't constantly surrounded by people be dicks all day and night. I never feel ole I sacrificed any of the fun or festival atmosphere when I was in Hel, it was just away from the idiots.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:58 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
fluffkitten wrote:

Depends on your definition of wanting to party, I camped in Hel 4 years in a row and had just as much fun as I did when I camped in other sites. Difference was I could actually get to sleep at night and wasn't constantly surrounded by people be dicks all day and night. I never feel ole I sacrificed any of the fun or festival atmosphere when I was in Hel, it was just away from the idiots.

Its where I always camp, mostly because the general camp madness doesn't happen there and I tend to get most of my fun in the arena. Love the lack of late night loud revelry.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:12 am

Thanks for all the advice folks!

I was planning to get a not too expensive but decent tent and go for the Hel campsite. Much as I like a laugh and a party I also need some sleep!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:31 pm

cthulhu wrote:I've not personally seen anyone's shit get damaged by binjousting...i won't say it hasn't happened but i've not personally seen it so i'm presuming it's pretty uncommon. The wrestling is another story entirely though don't think i've ever seen that take place without at least a couple of tents winding up under the contenders .

I agree with you, the worst I've seen binjousting do is tear up the ground making walking that bit harder; not seen it damage someone else's property (beside the bin obviously) myself. Wrestling is a whole other issue though as the people who do it are usually walking through the campsite and always do it around other people's tents.. the twats

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:17 pm

Haven't really noticed the wrestling in the campsites to be honest.

Seen it with a specific group ion the middle by their own tents and pissed about with it in the arena.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:01 am

Danroush wrote:Whilst I don't condone the behaviour towards the security, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for bin jousting. It's possibly because as far as I've seen, none of the bins have ever been damaged by it, and the only harm done is to the people choosing to put themselves up there (including me one time back in 2010).

It doesn't really bother me, its just the way those people acted towards the staff that were just doing their job that was not on. None of that happened around people's tents so thats something. Can't say I've seen people wrestling, sounds bloody stupid especially in the campsite! Tents can easily get crushed, its hard enough with all the drunk people trying to hop over the guide ropes! Actually I recommend people don't do the guide ropes, I didn't last year and had no problems, I guess it depends what tent you have, but there just a trap for people walking in the dark, and if you don't have them then less likely to have someone fall into your tent! I've fallen into someones tent before at Download, feel sorry for the people on the edge!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:10 am

I don't think I've ever needed to put the guy ropes out on my cheap £25 ProAction tent from Argos. And that's been to numerous festivals and weekends away in places like Wales and The Lakes. Never had any problems with leaking either. Although I have now replaced it with a similar one after one of our mates stood on the porch pole and broke it. :rolleyes:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

RobMoore1989
Definitely Not Nu

Postby RobMoore1989 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:52 pm

i go for what argos call a 6-manner. half price about 60 quid and share it with a mate. that way you have sleeping pods and like a lounge bit to keep the extensive bar and yourselves out of the p*ssing rain!

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:44 pm

I swear when I first went to BOA no one had a tent bigger than a 4 man and even if they did, they shared it with at least 2 other people. Now it's pretty common to get one person in a massive tent all to themselves.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock