Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire

Do you like this years line-up?

Yes
55
59%
No
38
41%
 
Total votes: 93

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby houston4044 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:29 pm

After reading replies to this part of me wonders, how many people are turning up for the music and how many are turning up for non-musical reasons i.e. habit, friends etc?

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8833
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Tet » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:28 am

Bloodstock is something I've done every year for the past 14 years, and it's a time to catch up with friends, some of whom I only get to see once a year. Were I looking at it strictly objectively, I wouldn't have gone last year and possibly a couple of other years. But the social side of things means I'm prepared to accept a lower quality lineup to -an extent. However, for me the music is still the primary reason I go to any festival, and it's getting harder and harder to justify a Bloodstock ticket. The social side of things can only compensate for so much.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby bloodfiend » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:00 am

The line up was so offputting last year, that we were put off going even as a social event, so we went VIP for the first time, under the hope that the VIP experience would make up for the rather lacking line up. Thankfully it did and we had a great time.

The only way I would have gone this year is VIP, but I've had several major purchases come up, and had to budget a bit, and with BOA's crappy line up, it was one of the first things to be axed from my schedule. It feels wierd not going to a Bloodstock event after attending them all in the past, but I'd never go to a festival *just* as a social experience, there must be some attraction from the line up, and BOA has been tested my limit of loyalty for the last few years with the shit bands they've been getting (especially as headliners - e.g. Lamb Of God, Machine Head, Down, Trivium, etc), and my patience finally snapped this year with the horrendous line up they've thrown together.

User avatar
CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:37 am
Location: Bo'ness, West Lothian

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:32 pm

I've been having a look a the line up and I can honestly say the following bands make it worth the money for me:
Sabaton, Overkill, Armored Saint, Nuclear Assault, Napalm Death, Dark Angel, Death (DTA), Wolf, Orange Goblin, Onslaught.

Bands I will check out are:
Ihsahn, Enslaved, 1349, Korplikaani, Within Temptation, Rob Zombie (I liked White Zombie back in the day), Cannibal Corpse

The rest I am not fussy about but will give them a shot. This festival is also about a nice weekend away for me with a few folk I worked with. The music is my main reason for going though and I am pretty damn happy with the bill.

I get the fact a lot of folk are grumbling about the bill, perhaps the fact I haven't been to a festival in 13 years makes me easier to please!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

User avatar
Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 926
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Bearstock » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:08 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:I've been having a look a the line up and I can honestly say the following bands make it worth the money for me:
Sabaton, Overkill, Armored Saint, Nuclear Assault, Napalm Death, Dark Angel, Death (DTA), Wolf, Orange Goblin, Onslaught.

Bands I will check out are:
Ihsahn, Enslaved, 1349, Korplikaani, Within Temptation, Rob Zombie (I liked White Zombie back in the day), Cannibal Corpse

The rest I am not fussy about but will give them a shot. This festival is also about a nice weekend away for me with a few folk I worked with. The music is my main reason for going though and I am pretty damn happy with the bill.

I get the fact a lot of folk are grumbling about the bill, perhaps the fact I haven't been to a festival in 13 years makes me easier to please!



Don't let online negativity fool you mate, you'll likely have a GREAT time and find the majority of people there doing likewise. :yes:
Image
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

User avatar
Danroush
Denim Demon
Posts: 9436
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:41 am
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Danroush » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:45 pm

Bearstock wrote:
CharlesDexterWard wrote:I've been having a look a the line up and I can honestly say the following bands make it worth the money for me:
Sabaton, Overkill, Armored Saint, Nuclear Assault, Napalm Death, Dark Angel, Death (DTA), Wolf, Orange Goblin, Onslaught.

Bands I will check out are:
Ihsahn, Enslaved, 1349, Korplikaani, Within Temptation, Rob Zombie (I liked White Zombie back in the day), Cannibal Corpse

The rest I am not fussy about but will give them a shot. This festival is also about a nice weekend away for me with a few folk I worked with. The music is my main reason for going though and I am pretty damn happy with the bill.

I get the fact a lot of folk are grumbling about the bill, perhaps the fact I haven't been to a festival in 13 years makes me easier to please!



Don't let online negativity fool you mate, you'll likely have a GREAT time and find the majority of people there doing likewise. :yes:


To be fair as he said, not having been to a festival in 13 years is a massive factor compared to the people who have been here every year and seen the same bands on the same stages again and again.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.


http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:55 pm

Also factor in that quite a few of us travel to other festivals and see the same bands as well as seeing those bands on tour regularly. Maybe that's why we are a lot more cynical that the average teenage Facebooker that is only interested in "tha pits" and whose last gig was going to Slipknot with Mummy and Daddy. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby houston4044 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Should keep in mind that if you look at the Gigs, Tours and Festivals threads that alot of folk on here are regular gig-goers, so will have probably either seen or passed up the chance to see a band; explains why the rarer bands are the better received lot

User avatar
Chugging Pus
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1535
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:54 am
Location: King's Lynn

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Chugging Pus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Yes, headliners are bollocks but aside from that probably the most bands I've wanted to see at the fest for a long time.
"What we're having here is a secret conversation, and I'm hoping that this time, you can keep the fucking secret, because normally you're about as secure as a hymen in a South London comprehensive."

JB65
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Your mum's bum.

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby JB65 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:02 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Also factor in that quite a few of us travel to other festivals and see the same bands as well as seeing those bands on tour regularly. Maybe that's why we are a lot more cynical that the average teenage Facebooker that is only interested in "tha pits" and whose last gig was going to Slipknot with Mummy and Daddy. :lol:


I'll go along with this, I often do Wacken as part of my annaul Germany trip so get to see a good few bands that will be on at BOA + as you say, I try and do a fair few gigs throughout the year depending on funds, chances are most of those gigs will be in venues like Sound control Manchester, Nottinghams Rock city, Wolverhampton Slade rooms or The Sugarmill in Stoke rather than the big arena gigs.

User avatar
Warlock
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:19 am

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Warlock » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:20 am

Soze wrote:
RobMoore1989 wrote:Apart from a quick jab at the line-up, what is this poll actually hoping to achieve? This forum represents like 1% of Bloodstock goers.....


Discussion? That's what forums are for generally...

After deliberation I've gone for No. But the truth is a more middling 'meh' answer. There are 13 bands playing the main stage that I like enough to own CDs by (although one, Sepultura, haven't put out a good album since 1994!). There are 7 I actively dis-like (sadly this includes all three headliners) and the rest I'm just ambivalent towards. Only two bands of interest at all on the Sophie stage.

13 bands sounds reasonable but the shiteness of the headliners does put a damper on it. Also, of those 13 there are only half a dozen I'm particularly excited to see.


What about Roots? Brilliant album, listened to it a few times recently, forgot how good it was. I'm kind of similar in that there are quite a few bands I want to see, but there's alot I'm not interested in, and the overall line up does look a bit meh. Hasn't got alot of the high profile Bloodstock favourites like last year such as Carcass, Dimmu Borgir, Saxon, Amon amarth, Children of Bodom etc, and the overall amount of Download reject bands this year has accumulated, and bad or Inappropriate headliners and guests, and not great variety and neglecting certain genres. Its difficult to look at the poster and go wow, even though there's quite a bit I want to see! I can't decidewhat to choose!

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:19 am

I think Roots is a terrible album. I didn't really like Chaos AD either.

The last decent album they did was Arise.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Baldy77
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:05 pm
Location: South East

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Baldy77 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:32 pm

definate yes, im looking forward to korpiklaani, orange goblin, sepultura, death, dark angel, napalm death, within temtation, cannibal corpse, sabaton and for all the new unsigned bands!!!

should be a good time :rock:

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7808
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Soze » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:42 pm

I don't like Roots at all bar a couple of songs. It was when they started to go seriously wrong IMO. I quite liked Chaos AD at the time although I think it's dated badly. The only 2 Seps albums I really go back and listen to are Beneath the Remains and Arise.

User avatar
Leemanruss
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:49 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby Leemanruss » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:49 pm

I found it difficult to answer this poll.

Bloodstock have managed to book some of my all time favourite bands (Agalloch, Ensiferum, Enslaved, Korpiklaani, Opeth, Within Temptation) and a few excellent bands I have got into lately (Sabaton, Conan, Bast, Delain, I Am I, Ihsahn, Xerath, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Red Rum, Metaprism), whilst simultaneously booking some of the most awful bands in existence IMO - and a lot of them! (Rob Zombie, Trivium, Black Label Society, Godflesh, Raging Speedhorn, Overkill, Nuclear Assault, Onslaught, Battalion, Re-Animator*, Orange Goblin, Planet of Zeus, Dead Label, Jettblack)

So its difficult to look at the line up poster and think 'wow this looks incredible' at first glance, like Warlock said. You have to look at the finer details to realise it includes a lot of decent bands.

I voted 'Yes' however, because I know that there is plenty for me to watch when I get there. I won't watch those that I don't like, and therefore they won't directly affect my experience. There's also 2 and a half stages left to announce that Im still optimistic for. I also voted 'Yes' because they're booked a fair amount of rare acts (albeit low on the line up) such as Death To All, Dark Angel, Agalloch, Armored Saint, Nuclear Assault, Ihsahn, Mordred and Arnocorps.

* I understand that thrash has its place at Bloodstock, but I personally dislike the majority of thrash and there's a lot of it on the line up this year, hence why I included them in the list.
Atmosfest: '17 '18
BOA: '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18 '19
Damnation: '11 '13 '16 '17
Download: '06
HammerFest: '09 '17
Hellfest: '17
HRH Vikings: '18
PMQF: '17 '18
Ragnarok: '18
Wacken: '17
Wacken Winter Nights: '19
Warhorns: '16 '17 '18 '19