Do you like this years line-up?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 93

houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Overall, Do You Like This Years Lineup?

Postby houston4044 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:54 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:I think it is great we all have different bands we want to see (or avoid). At least it makes for a healthy debate!

I think that's a positive, always interesting to chat with my mates after the bands have finished and we've had a few bevvies and we compare how different our days were; even though we were at the same festival :lol:

Plus it means I get more room to watch a band I like when the rest of you go to see another band that I think are terrible :P

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri May 08, 2015 1:16 am

CharlesDexterWard wrote:I think it is great we all have different bands we want to see (or avoid). At least it makes for a healthy debate!

That's true, you make a good point!

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sat May 09, 2015 5:57 pm

I can't remember if I've said this before but overall this isn't a bad job at all. It's better for me than many previous years have been

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:41 pm

If there is one thing the last few days have taught us is that we shouldn't trust polls until the time of the event :P

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Sat May 09, 2015 10:04 pm

houston4044 wrote:If there is one thing the last few days have taught us is that we shouldn't trust polls until the time of the event :P

Haha true!

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sun May 10, 2015 9:09 am

houston4044 wrote:If there is one thing the last few days have taught us is that we shouldn't trust polls until the time of the event :P

:lol:

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Definitely seeing:
Thursday - Red Rum
Friday - Belphegor, Enslaved, Ihsahn, Bast, Ne obliviscaris, Conan, Delain
Saturday - 1349, DTA, Dark Angel, napalm death, nuclear assault, Within Temptation, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Ethereal
Sunday - Cannibal Corpse, Godflesh

18 bands isn't all that bad. However I've seen 12 before.

Might probably check out:
Thursday - Arnocorp
Friday - Xerath, Armoured Saint, Overkill, Silas
Saturday - Korpiklani, Opeth,
Sunday - Agalloch, Ensiferum, Onslaught, Destrage, Lawnmother Deth

Probably satisfied with that. I think last year's was a lot better, though I hardly saw anything on Friday. Shame the sophie tent is very thin on the ground for bands I know/like. Hopefully find something good on Sunday by checking out random bands.

Rob Zombie, Trivium, Sabaton (probably the worst booking as they seem to be perpetually here. So are Delain I guess, 6 UK shows this year), and BLS do absolutely nothing for me. 1 definite and 1 shaky maybe in 6 headliners/guests is poor. One or two more awesome headliners, ala Emperor and Megadeth like last year and it would be a pretty ace lineup. So overall nothing special, but do I like it? Yes, I get to see Conan again. Comparisons are pointless but look at Summer Breeze for like £40 less...I think I had 34 definites. Luckily doing both, as well as Stonehenge.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon May 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Six UK shows a year is hardly a lot. I remember when bands used to do 20 or 30 date UK tours. Often with a festival or two as well.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:39 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Six UK shows a year is hardly a lot. I remember when bands used to do 20 or 30 date UK tours. Often with a festival or two as well.

Yeah but a lot has changed since then. If you wanted to maximize record sales you had to get out there and play everywhere otherwise you wouldn't grow; with the internet it's easier, cheaper and not as necessary. I'd also hazard that the changing business model has had a major impact: tiny amounts of money from recorded output, labels less willing to give tour support.

As you always say, metal bands rarely pull a good crowd outside major cities so 6 shows now is seen as a standard sized tour.

That and people on here are always complaining about BOA booking bands who play here all the time, if bands started playing 20-30 UK shows a year the complaining on here will become monumental :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue May 19, 2015 1:03 am

You've got to remember that most people won't travel to gigs that are outside their immediate local area though.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:25 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:You've got to remember that most people won't travel to gigs that are outside their immediate local area though.

This is true. I'll only venture out of Sheffield for something special, and only further than Manc for anything like a one-shot show.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:27 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:You've got to remember that most people won't travel to gigs that are outside their immediate local area though.

How can bands if it's not as financially viable anyone? I mean the odd band will take the financial hit but on the whole I can't see most bands taking the risk of playing say, Folkstone where it's less of a guarantee of pulling a decent audience when the band have had to stake more of it's own money in order to play there.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Tue May 19, 2015 8:36 am

houston4044 wrote:

How can bands if it's not as financially viable anyone? I mean the odd band will take the financial hit but on the whole I can't see most bands taking the risk of playing say, Folkstone where it's less of a guarantee of pulling a decent audience when the band have had to stake more of it's own money in order to play there.

Yeah but quite a few even skip out big cities. Like they do Manc, London, Glasgow, and Dublin for the whole of the UK. They could easily add Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Belfast etcetc to tours like that, even if they pick a slightly smaller venue in the smaller ones mentioned.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue May 19, 2015 10:37 am

Virtually what Dan said. Apart from he missed out Liverpool, which is bigger than most of those places. :x :P

You don't expect to see bands playing small places like Folkestone, but when you see bands play tiny places and then miss out everywhere in the North and the Midlands then it's baffling. You play the smaller places as a bonus to the major cities.

A good example is Anthrax's Among The Living Tour. 18 dates that cover the country including a one off London gig and a festival date. They also played a comprehensive tour with Metallica the year before.

15/02/1987; Hammersmith Odeon, London, England.

22/08/1987; Castle Donington, Donington, England.

29/10/1987; The Royal Court, Liverpool, England.
30/10/1987; SFX, Dublin, Ireland.
31/10/1987; Avonial Leisure Centre, Belfast, Ireland.
02/11/1987; De Montford Hall, Leicester, England.
03/11/1987; Nottingham Rock City, Nottingham, England.
04/11/1987; St. George`s Hall, Bradford, England.
05/11/1987; The Playhouse, Edinburgh, Scotland.
06/11/1987; The City Hall, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England.
07/11/1987; The City Hall, Sheffield, England.
09/11/1987; St. Davids Hall, Cardiff, Wales.
10/11/1987; The Powerhouse, Birmingham, England.
11/11/1987; The Apollo, Oxford, England.
13/11/1987; The Victoria Hall, Hanley, England.
14/11/1987; The Apollo, Manchester, England.
15/11/1987; Colston Hall, Bristol, England.
16/11/1987; Hammersmith Odeon, London, England.
17/11/1987; Hammersmith Odeon, London, England.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:57 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Six UK shows a year is hardly a lot. I remember when bands used to do 20 or 30 date UK tours. Often with a festival or two as well.

More it's the frequency with which they're here - Supporting WT in April 2014, then a headline tour October 2014, a show with Sabaton this January gone, a bloodstock appearance in August, and a four date UK tour this October, and we're supposed to be excited they're headlining the Sophie stage?

Don't get me wrong, I like them a lot and will be seeing them five times this year, (mainly because Gentle Storm are support three times) but I can see why some people who don't would groan - much as I do at Opeth and Sabaton.